GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
"Benjamin Illies" is a penis wrinkle. He's confirming that there is in fact no such thing as a "factory order" in the USA, but then tries to tell you that it's the "same difference". I'd tell him to pound sand and shop elsewhere.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
"Yes and no. I'm not sure if they're doing allocation- but allocation is the same as factory order when it comes to the end user. If you place an order for a Golf R in X color with X options, whether they build that car in Germany to your spec or they find one that's already been built in Germany and has been shipped elsewhere and send it to us specifically�for�you- is the same difference.�

Short answer is that someone's giving you false info. We've placed multiple orders for our customers. There was a lockdown on submissions for a week or two but that's all.�

Best,

Benjamin Illies

Sales & Leasing

Luther Westside Volkswagen"

This is in reference to being able to factory order or not. I trust this particular individual very much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you, and this is consistent with what dealerships have been telling me regarding factory orders. They say they can definitely place one into their system and takes about 2 -3 months until receipt. They also caveated that there is a possibility/risk that VWUSA simply intercepts an already made vehicle in my specs, and diverts that one to the dealer instead of the factory build. I guess I won't know until the process gets started, so will keep everyone posted. That's one of the reasons I am waiting a few weeks before placing the order, to allow time for all the early builds to have already been allocated and delivered to the dealers. Hopefully that increases my odds at snagging one fresh off the production line. I believe strongly that good things come to those who wait!

I also appreciate others chiming in with actual visual evidence of center consuls not being bolted shut. Its interesting to see that Mr Know it all (aka crild) has gone very quiet.

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you, and this is consistent with what dealerships have been telling me regarding factory orders. They say they can definitely place one into their system and takes about 2 -3 months until receipt. They also caveated that there is a possibility/risk that VWUSA simply intercepts an already made vehicle in my specs, and diverts that one to the dealer instead of the factory build. I guess I won't know until the process gets started, so will keep everyone posted.

I also appreciate others chiming in with actual visual evidence of center consuls not being bolted shut. Its interesting to see that Mr Know it all (aka crild) has gone very quiet.
Nope still here. You still cannot factory order, you can port order tho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Fair enough, but not all the center consuls are bolted shut
Everything 2017 And older is locked shut one would assume they didn't unlock certain month build 18's for nothing. That's not a random decision to make when you say they have to be locked for safety then magically some start opening.

For those with opening arm rests is it ratcheting? If it isn't it's no better than it being locked.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Everything 2017 And older is locked shut one would assume they didn't unlock certain month build 18's for nothing. That's not a random decision to make when you say they have to be locked for safety then magically some start opening.

For those with opening arm rests is it ratcheting? If it isn't it's no better than it being locked.

They never randomly decided to unlock the console. They are using a different part with a different part number that obviously complies with the DOT regulation, i.e. it will stay shut during an accident. For someone who goes around calling others incompetent and stupid; at least make sure your knowledge of the facts are sound. Can I suggest we just move on as trying to reason with you is just not worth the brain damage.

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

For the former, they changed the part number and it now complies with regulations. Not really that difficult to figure out. (Plot twist on the reason for the delayed release: it was all over the cubby)

For the latter, access to the storage space below the armrest is very useful for some regardless of ratcheting capability. I guess I'm now at risk for being injured when items fall out of it during a roll over but I'll take the chance.

Dark Violet R

Ready to race!
Additional Console Confirmation

They never randomly decided to unlock the console. They are using a different part with a different part number that obviously complies with the DOT regulation, i.e. it will stay shut during an accident. For someone who goes around calling others incompetent and stupid; at least make sure your knowledge of the facts are sound. Can I suggest we just move on as trying to reason with you is just not worth the brain damage.

Hi all,
I am a new member to this forum. I hail from Toronto, Ontario. I recently purchased (mid Feb 2018), an MK7.5 Golf R DSG (Deep Violet Pearl). This happened to be a dealer ordered or allocation car. I traded my 2017 Golf R for it. Stig, I can confirm that my console is unlocked and it also has the ratchet feature. I am not sure how to tell when the car was built? The changes between the 17 & 18 are very minimal in my opinion but I can definitely say the seats are much more comfortable. From a performance perspective it's hard to measure any difference in seat of the pants feel. I still only have about 2,900 kms so have not really leaned into it much. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the late release of the 2018 in the US. I heard from a dealer up here that the reason was due to a number of vehicles being damaged during shipping. It was mainly Golf R's and Tiguans. I don't know how accurate this is but thought I would pass it along for what its worth. Thanks and glad to be part of the group. If you have any questions about the 18 model just ask and I will check my car for you.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Hi all,
I am a new member to this forum. I hail from Toronto, Ontario. I recently purchased (mid Feb 2018), an MK7.5 Golf R DSG (Deep Violet Pearl). This happened to be a dealer ordered or allocation car. I traded my 2017 Golf R for it. Stig, I can confirm that my console is unlocked and it also has the ratchet feature. I am not sure how to tell when the car was built? The changes between the 17 & 18 are very minimal in my opinion but I can definitely say the seats are much more comfortable. From a performance perspective it's hard to measure any difference in seat of the pants feel. I still only have about 2,900 kms so have not really leaned into it much. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the late release of the 2018 in the US. I heard from a dealer up here that the reason was due to a number of vehicles being damaged during shipping. It was mainly Golf R's and Tiguans. I don't know how accurate this is but thought I would pass it along for what its worth. Thanks and glad to be part of the group. If you have any questions about the 18 model just ask and I will check my car for you.

HWelcome and congrats on the new R! pretty ambitious to trade up one year newer!

For the console unlock it was known that Canadian models got the unlocked center console, mine does too. Seems like all models after mid-october production have unlocked center consoles. It was more a question of if it would also happen in the USA or not, due to potential DOT regulations, which is part of the reason the pre-october R models had locked center consoles (and what the debate above is about).
As for your damaged boat situiation, that was only one boat in Canada so nothing to do with the USA hold. It was the boat that my -R was on, and so I had to take a different color/options package since mine was too damaged.

The 18's have been released from port in USA and people down there have already begun taking delivery of their R's.

Dark Violet R

Ready to race!
HWelcome and congrats on the new R! pretty ambitious to trade up one year newer!

For the console unlock it was known that Canadian models got the unlocked center console, mine does too. Seems like all models after mid-october production have unlocked center consoles. It was more a question of if it would also happen in the USA or not, due to potential DOT regulations, which is part of the reason the pre-october R models had locked center consoles (and what the debate above is about).
As for your damaged boat situiation, that was only one boat in Canada so nothing to do with the USA hold. It was the boat that my -R was on, and so I had to take a different color/options package since mine was too damaged.

The 18's have been released from port in USA and people down there have already begun taking delivery of their R's.

Thanks for the clarification. That is helpful.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Hi all,

Oh Hi from Mississauga!

I missed out on the open center console, i still need to rig mine up to open. What they change about the seats on the refresh?

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

Date of mfg. is on the bottom of the driver side door frame.

Supercup

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the call from dealer yesterday - my R is in - been waiting since last September!

Looking forward to picking it up this weekend.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Got the call from dealer yesterday - my R is in - been waiting since last September!

Looking forward to picking it up this weekend.

Congratulations!! Enjoy! I am still waiting (im)patiently here in Colorado. Anybody that is waiting out here get any updates from their dealer?