GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as I've seen, all VW (or at least all Golf R or other range topper models) are shipped with this full wrap on them. When I was at a dealer checking out an R before ordering mine I asked about it and the response was "they all come this way". I think one benefit is it might not have so much sticky shit underneath to adhere to the paint like the regular vinyl wrap type stuff.

MK7.5_Roa

Ready to race!
I was concerned about this as well so did an image search for 2018 "golf r" "in port". I've never seen them shipped like this. It's as if they knew the cars would be sitting there a while.

This is completely normal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, that answers one question I had; it looks like the one at the top L of the photo has different wheels which I assume are the 18 inch instead of the 19 inch Englishtown. Or maybe that is a Plymouth Voyager and not a wrapped R?

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I have a buddy with inside connections at VWoA corporate looking into wth the holdup is with these cars stuck in port. Hopefully he'll be able to provide some insight.
Kevin, I'm ready to double-down on my bet that the "hold" on the Rs is emissions related.

As you probably know, these days manufacturers self-certify that their products are emissions compliant. It's my hunch that the feds have essentially said to VOA: "Prove it." In this regard, remember the Rs are coming from Germany, not Mexico. Different car, different testing. (And, yes, I've seen the post with a copy of the CA certification. I encourage others to read it. It clearly states that the results are based on VW AG's self-certification.) If certification is the issue, re-certification involves VW finding a lab competent to do the work -- meaning one the feds recognize as competent and reliable -- and then actually getting it done. This isn't something that can be knocked out in a couple of days, and it costs millions.

The other possibility is the misfire issue discussed on this board and elsewhere -- also an emissions issue -- has motivated VOA to take the initiative to find the source of the problem and resolve it before the feds step in and compel it. Finally, I've considered the fact that some Audis have a similar EA888-series engine, and they are being sold. My answer: Similar isn't identical. Certifications pertain to specific engine/ECU/drivetrain combinations. This ain't horseshoes.

I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong, but I don't believe I am.

Last edited:

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Then why would they be driving on Canadian roads since October 2017 since Canada uses DOT and EPA approvals up here as well?

If it was to fix the misfire thing they would have held ours as well no?

And every car coming from Wolfsburg has that sleeve, vehicles from Puebla are wrapped like other cars, at least up here.

I like the speedometer being borked when in MPH mode (outer ring stays in KPH so number in middle of display does not match where the needle is) theory someone posted earlier or on Vortex as the culprit. But who knows.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Then why would they be driving on Canadian roads since October 2017 since Canada uses DOT and EPA approvals up here as well?

If it was to fix the misfire thing they would have held ours as well no?
WRT the fact that the Canadians rely on our (US) DOT and EPA certifications, as I've said before, those certifications are self-certifications -- VG AG says, essentially, we did them and we passed. If the Canadians want to accept what was submitted to the DOT/EPA, fine. But there's nothing that precludes the DOT/EPA from doing exactly what I said: demanding that VW prove the Rs comply with the regulation in question. That requires re-testing.

As for the misfire, here again -- as I said below -- VOA (and VW AG) may simply be trying to get ahead of an issue they believe the DOT/EPA will inquire about and for which they (VW) don't have a good answer.

I can give you several examples of how various certifications -- some of the most pedestrian stuff -- can get cross-threaded in the course of a US governmental review, but at this point, I, like you, am just trying to figure out what's up. I don't think it's minor. Not with the sort of money that's at stake here.

What do you think the issue is that's holding up the sale of millions of dollars of inventory? It can't be trivial.

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed

B95zP

Ready to race!
In a way it's disheartening, back in Aug I decided to get a 2018, figure I'll have it in time for Christmas and the New Year, yet 2 months into the New Year and there's zero details.

The lack of any information to their dealerships I feel makes it worse.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Kevin, I'm ready to double-down on my bet that the "hold" on the Rs is emissions related.

I totally agree. What else could it be? The Canadian cars have been flowing since last fall. Since they're basically identical to ours, that implies it HAS to be something governmental that's causing the holdup. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the EPA is busting VWoA's balls just because of Dieselgate. Or maybe it's CARB (those JAMFs are a REAL ballbusting agency!) and they're holding them all up because of it. Who knows.

Still no update from my pal. It's interesting that nothing has leaked out to this point, other than a stray rumors here and there, all of which (of the ones I've seen) are clearly speculative and not inside information.

davewg

Ready to race!
Depressing.

I have to turn my lease in on 3/29....starting to wonder what my alternatives might be.

Step down to a GTI?
Lease an S3?

WRX if I can talk the wife into a manuel (she wouldn't be able to drive it).

Le sigh