GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 MK7 Golf R: All owners please read!

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
i'm all stock, 2x P0300 CEL's set within the first 2,000 miles of ownership. Going to the dealer today, originally for KESSY issue. LEFT the CEL on for them :)

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
Where are you guys with all the misfire problems buying your gas? Venezuela??

You must work for VW since they seem to think it's gas related too. Shitty gas would cause more issues and be more prone to det / mis under load, that is not happening (at least not in my case).

1st cel i was on 76 91 octane
2nd cel i was on shell 91 octane

radoroc

Ready to race!
You must work for VW since they seem to think it's gas related too. Shitty gas would cause more issues and be more prone to det / mis under load, that is not happening (at least not in my case).

1st cel i was on 76 91 octane
2nd cel i was on shell 91 octane

It appears that all mk7's have misfire issues, mostly when cold and at idle. People make too big of deal about this, and there is no fix. I've had a few without a CEL, which is common.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
It appears that all mk7's have misfire issues, mostly when cold and at idle. People make too big of deal about this, and there is no fix. I've had a few without a CEL, which is common.

Not sure about Canada, but we have to smog, car won't pass smog with pending CEL, CEL, or incomplete monitors.

I 100% believe it's not a mechanical problem, just a monitor that is too sensitive.

However, that does not mean it's not a problem or that people are blowing it out of proportion. If you can't smog, you can't tag, if you can't tag you can't legally drive.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

'twas a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question. While bad gas could certainly cause misfires, obviously most if not all of you guys have been down that road and eliminated that possibility. I hope this isn't another epic coil pack meltdown like happened back in the Mk4 days, that was ugly.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
It's obviously a software issue at cold start, and some of these cars seem to be much more sensitive to it. They all hate the cold starts and misfire, however slightly or severely until somewhat warmed up. The curious thing is, why are some so bad they are setting codes, while others just slightly stumble and clear up after cold start. Mine misfires on cold starts, but never enough to set a code or trip the idiot light. I'd be pissed, just like some are who have bought brand new R's that were setting codes and the dealerships/vw's response was "let it warm up" before driving and ignore the idiot light.

But I'm lucky I guess, by the end of the driveway, mines good.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
'twas a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question. While bad gas could certainly cause misfires, obviously most if not all of you guys have been down that road and eliminated that possibility. I hope this isn't another epic coil pack meltdown like happened back in the Mk4 days, that was ugly.

:D lol sorry, I was a little over sensitive since I had about the dealers telling people it was bad gas.

Turns out if you use top tier fuel, they will tell you use a different top tier fuel :confused:

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
It's obviously a software issue at cold start, and some of these cars seem to be much more sensitive to it. They all hate the cold starts and misfire, however slightly or severely until somewhat warmed up. The curious thing is, why are some so bad they are setting codes, while others just slightly stumble and clear up after cold start. Mine misfires on cold starts, but never enough to set a code or trip the idiot light. I'd be pissed, just like some are who have bought brand new R's that were setting codes and the dealerships/vw's response was "let it warm up" before driving and ignore the idiot light.

But I'm lucky I guess, by the end of the driveway, mines good.

I've been thinking about that. The last platform I tuned on was the FRS / BRZ. They had a hybrid DI system and a cat light off cold start sequence that produced a ridiculously loud exhaust note during cold start (with open exhaust). They would delay the start of inject on the DI's, retard the crap out of the timing, and mess around with the cams to create late ignition that would create high EGT's and heat the cat quickly.

I'm wondering if whatever VW is doing during the cat light off period of startup is messing with peoples plugs. could be over heating the plugs, in which case going to a colder plug like the RS7 would make sense. I have not spent that much time logging, but it sure seems 90+% of my counts happen during the cold start idle.

Tunes should be able to take care of it, if it is induced by the cold start sequence.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
results from dealer trip yesterday attached. Tech agreed the additive would not do anything for a car with 2,000 miles on it. He did not seem interested in doing any diagnostics though, I guess VW did not authorize any additional work.

Attachments

• IMG_20170731.jpg
    IMG_20170731.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 1,219

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if cars that are going, or thought to be going, to California have a slightly different software installed. That state suuuuucks, emission wise. I don't think any hardware differs anymore from the other states. When my sister bought an a3 a few years ago, it was "destined" for cali but sold in Wisconsin, so anyway, I wonder if those are using different software for cold starts or running the secondary air injection pump longer/differently, than say a car that was ordered by a Midwest dealer, now some final destinations are changed in transit and end up sold in different states, that would, to me at least, seem to explain some of these intermittent problems seen across the country.

Just a thought, as I can't understand how it couldn't be oem tune/flash related and why all of them don't do it or all would, generally imo

Misshe11

Passed Driver's Ed
Just another data point: I saw this on my car at about 4.5k miles. Codes were all misfires on one of the cylinders. I cleared them and they never came back. I think it was maybe a bit of bad gas... Since then it has been tuned and has had no problems.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Count me as another one getting this problem. Mostly on cylonder 2 and 4 and almost always at startup. When the dealer clears the code it comes back in 2 weeks. First came up at approx 13,000km.

First dealer lectured me about using 91 and then when i told him i only use 93 he blamed it on bad gas so i indulged him and switched gas stations/brands for a bit.. Problem came back quickly.

Was told afterwards that its a software bug and VW is aware of the problem and supposedly working on a fix. His solution in the meantime is to wait 1 minute before driving. Which i think is stupid considering it happens on startup :(

Not really sure what to do besides wait and hope VW decides to make a fix :confused:.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
Count me as another one getting this problem. Mostly on cylonder 2 and 4 and almost always at startup. When the dealer clears the code it comes back in 2 weeks. First came up at approx 13,000km.

First dealer lectured me about using 91 and then when i told him i only use 93 he blamed it on bad gas so i indulged him and switched gas stations/brands for a bit.. Problem came back quickly.

Was told afterwards that its a software bug and VW is aware of the problem and supposedly working on a fix. His solution in the meantime is to wait 1 minute before driving. Which i think is stupid considering it happens on startup :(

Not really sure what to do besides wait and hope VW decides to make a fix :confused:.

You should pull your plugs, I'll post what mine looked like at 2,350 miles.