GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 MK7 Golf R: All owners please read!

HottubChampion

There is an issue with the ECM programming on some of the 2017 models. During the catalyst warmup cycle on initial start, misfires are detected causing the MIL/CEL/SES (which ever term u prefer) light to illuminate.

My car started having this issue at 2k miles with misfires on cylinders 2 & 3. They cleared the codes and a TSB on this issue instructed them put a cleaner in the gas tank. Light came back on at 2200 miles and now cylinders 2, 3, and 4 have recorded misfires. An engineer was flown in to run tests a week later. After testing they replaced the front O2 sensor and a radio backup camera module that failed during testing.

After all said and done there is an update that is being developed to fix the issue which there in lies the problem. This is a know issue for only 2017 models and they have no ETA on when the update will be released as it has to first be completed then submitted to the EPA for approval. For a normal car MFG that's not that big of an issue. Since it's VW and they are currently best friends with the EPA, a fix for a low production vehicle is a very low priority. At this point I am stuck with a brand new car that throws a fault light every other tank of gas.

Last edited:

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Had a 2017 Golf R
I've had an overboost light but nothing more I'll keep an eye out for this one
misfires happening that often could cause problems in the future I'd love to see how VW handles this one

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I have the issue described, except no CEL yet.
Started to idle funny first thing in the morning at 2K miles or so, it was sporadic and at 5K continues to be.

VCDS will show an intermient self clearing cyl 3 misfire error. Car has been scanned 30 times by now, only seen the error twice. (DSG and DAP error more often)
Logging it will show a constant Cyl 3 misfire during warm up. 0, 0, 2-9, 0

I had my complementary tire rotation and inspection done on Friday at 5K.
Car was not scanned due to tune, but I mentioned it to my service rep and he confirmed there is something being worked on.

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
There is an issue with the ECM programming on some of the 2017 models. During the catalyst warmup cycle on initial start, misfires are detected causing the MIL/CEL/SES (which ever term u prefer) light to illuminate.

My car started having this issue at 2k miles with misfires on cylinders 2 & 3. They cleared the codes and a TSB on this issue instructed them put a cleaner in the gas tank. Light came back on at 2200 miles and now cylinders 2, 3, and 4 have recorded misfires. An engineer was flown in to run tests a week later. After testing they replaced the front O2 sensor and a radio backup camera module that failed during testing.

After all said and done there is an update that is being developed to fix the issue which there in lies the problem. This is a know issue for only 2017 models and they have no ETA on when the update will be released as it has to first be completed then submitted to the EPA for approval. For a normal car MFG that's not that big of an issue. Since it's VW and they are currently best friends with the EPA, a fix for a low production vehicle is a very low priority. At this point I am stuck with a brand new car that throws a fault light every other tank of gas.

I was getting similar CEL lights on my 2016 and the guy swapped the coils between the bad and a good cylinder. The thought was if the problem returned on the same cylinder, then it was a problem central there, otherwise it was a coil issue. I haven't had the light come on since.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I was getting similar CEL lights on my 2016 and the guy swapped the coils between the bad and a good cylinder. The thought was if the problem returned on the same cylinder, then it was a problem central there, otherwise it was a coil issue. I haven't had the light come on since.

So the coils are fine and it was either a coil connection issue that was fixed in the swap or something else entirely. Good diag technique.