GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI takes 87 octane gas?

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
If VW says it's okay, why would it lead to issues? I'm seriously asking as I don't know. Won't the ECU just alter the timing to make sure that no knock is possible? Yes it does lower HP but let's say I'm going on a long road trip with the family and want to maximize cost savings, there should be nothing wrong with that. Not like I'll be consistently redlining the car while on a road trip.

I'm honestly not entirely sure, but why would a lower octane cause more carbon deposits? Aren't carbon deposits based on how clean the the fuel is from the fuel supplier (Shell, BP, aka Top Ten Tier)?... and how well the combustion process occurs? As far as I know, all higher octane does is prevent knock and detonation.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
If VW says it's okay, why would it lead to issues? I'm seriously asking as I don't know. Won't the ECU just alter the timing to make sure that no knock is possible? Yes it does lower HP but let's say I'm going on a long road trip with the family and want to maximize cost savings, there should be nothing wrong with that. Not like I'll be consistently redlining the car while on a road trip.

I'm honestly not entirely sure, but why would a lower octane cause more carbon deposits? Aren't carbon deposits based on how clean the the fuel is from the fuel supplier (Shell, BP, aka Top Ten Tier)?... and how well the combustion process occurs? As far as I know, all higher octane does is prevent knock and detonation.

I think altering timing can only go so far, I would like to know if the ECU blows off turbo PSI to lower pre-combustion pressure. In theory with a turbo engine this pressure should be extremely adjustable by the ECU in turbo engines to adapt to a wide range of octane fuels. I just don't know if the GTI does it or not. It would be nice to hear it from one of the engineers who worked on the MK7 development, but they probably aren't taking calls right now. :)

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion

Which is actually doing a lot, as it allows for higher compression engines. High compression engines of the 60's gave great power and low fuel consumption with archaic technology. Imagine a high compression engine with today's tech.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I don't think "cheap" enters in to the equation. People can talk money all day. It's what's in the bank that counts. If someone does a stop and go drive to work everyday, 5 days a week and can save about $20 a week, thatnumber adds up over time.

A loss of about 4 ponies is nearly negligible in my op. On the other hand, if running a lower octane will cause harm to the engine I would like to see factual data showing that with the current GTI.

Opinions are great but, facts are better.

Taken from 2015 VW GTI Manual:

"Using the correct grade of gasoline is very important to help prevent engine damage loss, the recommended gasoline octane rating for your engine is listed on a label inside fuel filler, if unleaded Premium grade gasoline is specified for your vehicle, then Volkswagen recommends using, tOP TIER Detergent Gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON).

Information on TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, please go to official Web site, the gasoline grades most commonly sold in the United States and Canada have following octane, ratings, which can usually be found filler pump, unleaded gasoline is available throughout the USA and Canada.

Do not take your vehicle to places where unleaded gasoline may not be available, you may use unleaded gasoline blended with alcohol or MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether), commonly, referred to as oxygenated fuels, if the blended mixture meets following criteria, blends of gasoline and methanol (wood alcohol methyl alcohol).

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) must be 87 higher, blend must contain no more than 3% methanol, blend must contain more than 2% co-solvents, blends of gasoline and ethanol (grain alcohol ethyl alcohol).

Blend must contain no more than 15% ethanol, blend must contain no more than 15% MTBE, many fuels are blended especially for winter or summer conditions, volkswagen suggests that you buy fuel at busy stations where the seasonal adjustment more likely.

Starting fluids can explode and cause run-away vehicle condition, never use fuel with an octane rating lower than 87 AKI/91 RON, never use leaded gasoline! Leaded gasoline will severely damage your vehicle's catalytic, methanol-blended fuels that do not meet the criteria listed above may cause corrosion."

https://carmanuals2.com/volkswagen/golf-gti-2015-fuel-35860

Of course if you have Stage tuned your car that is a whole different story.

It's more like 2 dollars per fill up difference. Premium is usually about 20 cents more than regular, and at worst you put 13 gallons in. That's 2.60. Unless you fill up multiple times a week, it's not going to make much difference. When I had my 1.8t GLI I ran 87 through it a few times and always got lower mileage than if I had put premium in it.

Internexus

Ready to race!
It's more like 2 dollars per fill up difference. Premium is usually about 20 cents more than regular, and at worst you put 13 gallons in. That's 2.60. Unless you fill up multiple times a week, it's not going to make much difference. When I had my 1.8t GLI I ran 87 through it a few times and always got lower mileage than if I had put premium in it.

Sounds like the price difference between 87 and 91 is very drastic dependent on location. Glancing on Gas Buddy I am seeing 60-70 cents greater costs per gallon of fuel between the two. If you average that out and throw in 3 fill ups per month you are looking at over $250 a year (averaging 65 cents and 11 gal fill ups for hypothetical sake).

I foresee people coming in and scoffing at $250 but equally I for one won't be following the financial offerings around here based upon how many making payments on their vehicle or leasing it compared to outright ownership. And not to be a butt or anything but there's also a lot of the blind leading the blind where people are making assumptions on why to do something and people jump aboard that ship equally clueless.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

:eek: 20 cents more?! Regular at my shell station is 1.93, while I pay 2.55 for premium. I WISH it was only 20 cents

Johnny Blaze

Go Kart Champion
Pff i wish we had prices like that, i payed $3.99 today Laurel Cny before Ventura, did not fill up, however my local station Shell Nitro v power 91 is $3.40.

xPETEZx

Passed Driver's Ed
People really need to stop going on about damage to the engine from using 87. The car can run on it all day long.
And to the snobs going on about it's just a couple bucks each fill up.
That's still not good value is it? Over and over again it has been shown in videos and test that premium fuel makes like 2-7bhp difference. You cannot fell that. What you feel I'd a placebo effect. You want to believe you have more power. Only a dyno or on track driving will tell.

Here is another video done in the UK to using 95ron up to 98ron.
https://youtu.be/hpZ76nrYW7A

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
V power is all I run. I tried a few different brands of 93 when I bought my car. And I get better mpgs and it seems to run better with the shell.

codespyder

Ready to race!
Where I am, if I want ethanol-free gas, I have to get Shell 91. Call me a snob for wanting to prolong the life of my engine but I'd prefer to pay a few bucks more each fill up than deal with the ramifications ten years down the line.

xPETEZx

Passed Driver's Ed
That old chestnut...

There any evidence to back up that higher octane fuel ACTUAL prolongs engine life anymore than the countless other things which affect a car?
Servicing, driving style etc will have a much much bigger effect.

My point being, people seem to mainly need to make themselves feel better about buying higher premium fuels, rather than anything based in fact.

Either way, to each there own.
IT just becomes damging when people spout off as if putting 87 in there car is like neglecting the car. ITs not.

Id love for some of these people who swear they can feel the difference as soon as they drive away from the pump to do a blind test.
I am willing to bet they could not tell and would be right no more times than luck.

So ending the rant, OP, dont let the internet make you think putting anything but the most expensive fuel in the car will damage it or affect performance or MPG in any measurable or meaningful way.

Countless tests can be found online to show the marginal effect no matter how much people will try and tell you its a night and day difference or saves your engine from premature failure.

This is all talking about a stock car btw. No idea how mapping will respond to different fuels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
$2.55 is pretty cheap these days, I don't get it for that in Utah.

Jersey prices. If I didn't feel the way I do about getting premium, I could get regular at the citgo next to my house for 1.73. Or premium for 2.28