GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI takes 87 octane gas?

Based on the Edmund MK6 GTI study, it was found that fuel economy was negligible between 87 and 91. In the study you posted, looking at the A3, an increase of 4 hp will certainly not be felt or realized.

It's a no brainer that premium fuel is better for forced induction vehicles. At the end of the day, particularly for the GTI, it is recommended but not required.

In terms of what using strictly 87 does to the EA888 engine over time, no one knows as there has not been a comparative study. So saying premium is better for longevity is speculative. There are so many factors that come into play.

I'll be using 87 this winter because gas is finally around or less than $1/litre, fuel economy is much lower during the winter anyways and the roads are shit so there's no need to go fast. Wish me luck :cool:

Yeah there's likely no specific study on the 2.0t on longevity using 87 instead of 91 or 93. However it's an established fact that if the engine is knocking, then over time your engine will be damaged and break something.

So since knocking damages the engine, and since the 1.8t was knocking in this study, the 2.0t is also likely to knock. Probably even more likely since it's even more boost than the 1.8t. I have seen some people with the 2.0t say they have heard knocking on 87. But some say they have heard nothing.

Personally for me I don't want to take the gamble. But if you're okay with that gamble, then that's of course your choice. Maybe it will be fine, if so then it will definitely save you a lot of money in the long run. I really do wish you luck with it!

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
Yeah there's likely no specific study on the 2.0t on longevity using 87 instead of 91 or 93. However it's an established fact that if the engine is knocking, then over time your engine will be damaged and break something.

So since knocking damages the engine, and since the 1.8t was knocking in this study, the 2.0t is also likely to knock. Probably even more likely since it's even more boost than the 1.8t. I have seen some people with the 2.0t say they have heard knocking on 87. But some say they have heard nothing.

Personally for me I don't want to take the gamble. But if you're okay with that gamble, then that's of course your choice. Maybe it will be fine, if so then it will definitely save you a lot of money in the long run. I really do wish you luck with it!

Ever hear of knock sensors? Guess not.

If you think your engine is knocking on 87, then it's also knocking on 91 and 93. Maybe not as much, but I know you don't want to take the gamble. You should definitely use 100 octane lead-free race fuel to be sure you don't have to pay for an expensive engine repair.