GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I don't know much about the drama surrounding Vitour but in Toronto, the Vitour Tempesta Enzo were probably the most popular 200TW tires before the Falken RT660 came along. In our track days, at least half of the cars attending were on Vitour because they're cheap and overall better than the Hankook RS4 and Falken RT615 series. I myself used the and finally wore them out. But with my skills, they were amazing, and consistent, running as fast as 1:44 at CTMP DDT and 2:07 at SMP Long Track.

I ordered a set of Bridgestone RE 71RS for I think $950 tax included and was looking forward to using them in May but now that I've fractured my wrist, I may not be able to use them at all this summer....

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
i'm tempted to try the acceleras on some significant camber, see if i can get them to last closer to v730s.
Do it. Prepare to be annoyed vs. the better tires you run. Would be interesting to hear your take - I had no issue but I was a n00b. TIRE STREETS SPONSORSHIP COMING UP!!!

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
Placed an order yesterday for new wheels with 235/40/R18 RT615s
Heard good things about them. Good grip, good life. Sold.
Always been a sucker for Falken tires because of those kickass blue and green liveries.
This'll be my first sticky set of tires since for the last three years I've been on 500tw all seasons.
Can't wait to have the stuff in my trunk fly around.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I don't know much about the drama surrounding Vitour but in Toronto, the Vitour Tempesta Enzo were probably the most popular 200TW tires before the Falken RT660 came along. In our track days, at least half of the cars attending were on Vitour because they're cheap and overall better than the Hankook RS4 and Falken RT615 series. I myself used the and finally wore them out. But with my skills, they were amazing, and consistent, running as fast as 1:44 at CTMP DDT and 2:07 at SMP Long Track.

I ordered a set of Bridgestone RE 71RS for I think $950 tax included and was looking forward to using them in May but now that I've fractured my wrist, I may not be able to use them at all this summer....
part of the drama is that it looked like it was some sketchy guy who had a re-labeled version of their 100tw tires that he was selling (and using himself?), not vitour themselves. the tires look like they're actually good, the guy you have to get the cheater 200tw from is the problem.

Do it. Prepare to be annoyed vs. the better tires you run. Would be interesting to hear your take - I had no issue but I was a n00b. TIRE STREETS SPONSORSHIP COMING UP!!!
as long as they don't delaminate i'd be ok with being a bit slower for $500.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think if you realistic expectations the 651 200s work well. Similar grip/probably less than a street summer like a PS4S/ECS but will go the whole session without getting greasy if you keep things sorted/not over-driving them. My PB on those at VIR was an 2:18.9 and with the Nexens which have quite a bit more grip 2:18.2. Not even a second with my driving at least, I'm sure those that are faster than me would see more of a time difference. They wear like iron, one of mine corded b/c my alignment was off out back (toe out) so ate the inner shoulder. My buddy uses them on his stock MK8 R getting 2:16s. Here's me chasing him for a lap and he's on the 651s. I think a set of 4 255/40/17s is like $420 delivered...or at least they were within the last year. @DerHase Rob W. always has (or did) some of these mounted to borrow/try for the events he attends.

Dontrevme83

Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Always been a sucker for Falken tires because of those kickass blue and green liveries.
This'll be my first sticky set of tires since for the last three years I've been on 500tw all seasons.
I used to run these on my bsp evo. They get hot fast and lose all grip. Keep a water sprayer handy between runs

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
All Falkens have been getting that line across them lately, which isn't a big deal for street or autocross, but people have had tires come apart on track due to it.

I wouldn't trust one on track, no matter the manufacturer. It can happen to almost any tire, but it's happening to the majority of Falkens the last 2 or 3 years.

I ran 615's back in the day with no issue and though the issue was overblown or caused by not heat cycling. I was wrong and my 660's developed that line on all 4 tires and I had TR heat cycle. I still ran them for autocross, but it killed my track plans last year, as there's no way I'm driving a tire like that at Daytona or Sebring.

Falken and TR were zero help. So no more Falkens for me until they solve that mess.

Right front also delaminated and they were heat cycled out with 50% tread left.

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I've yet to see a photo of a truly delaminated (tread literally falling off the carcass) RT660.

I think they're decent when new, and suck after like 3 weekends on track because they heat cycle out... but I'm not the least bit concerned with one coming apart.

Whereas the Kumko V720 was WELL known for truly delaminating... slinging tread blocks off completely. A friend's S2000 had the tread flap up enough that I could fit my entire hand between the tread and the belts. THAT is delaminating.

This is just a pic from Google, but that wasn't hard to find of a Kumho V720. I've yet to see something similar from an RT660.

1710816943566.png

(There is one image that pops up on Miata Turbo)... but the pic is unrecognizable as to what the tire actually is, and the link itself takes to a page where that image doesn't even exist).

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I've yet to see a photo of a truly delaminated (tread literally falling off the carcass) RT660.

I think they're decent when new, and suck after like 3 weekends on track because they heat cycle out... but I'm not the least bit concerned with one coming apart.

Whereas the Kumko V720 was WELL known for truly delaminating... slinging tread blocks off completely. A friend's S2000 had the tread flap up enough that I could fit my entire hand between the tread and the belts. THAT is delaminating.

This is just a pic from Google, but that wasn't hard to find of a Kumho V720. I've yet to see something similar from an RT660.

View attachment 301072

(There is one image that pops up on Miata Turbo)... but the pic is unrecognizable as to what the tire actually is, and the link itself takes to a page where that image doesn't even exist).
Lol. I bought a set of V720 on closeout years ago from Tire Rack and didn’t know about the delamination problems until the day before my first track day in the GTI. I ended up running on a set of 220tw PZero and saved the V720 for Autox and finished burning through them on the street daily.

In fairness, Tire Rack and Kumho did have a disclaimer at the end of their literature warning NOT to use these on track for sustained lapping!

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
New lightweight wheels and track tires for the 2024 season on the shop car. Probably the best and worse decision I will make this year: the pricing was too good to pass up on each of them, and the price of tires in North America is going up like it’s war time in the 1940s.

There is no longer a tremendous price savings to be had running 17 inch tires versus 18s. Sad but true, since I was always planning to run a 17 x 9 to keep my consumable costs down.

Kumho V730 in a 245/40 R 18, mounted on 18 x 8.5 inch Konig Hypergram wheels that weigh just 17 pounds.

You can get this tire for 207 apiece right now through Tire Rack or your local Discount Tire if you’re in North America.

I spent countless hours researching every available tire comparison, test, hundreds of user and consumer reviews who actually tracked their cars, etc.

Will likely consolidate my findings for the community if I can find some time to crank out one of my write ups.

The wheels retail for 285 apiece; got mine price matched at 254. Road hazard warranty on the wheels and tires for peace of mind.

I’m tired of burning up my street tires doing track days four times a year.

…Even if they were honoring the incredibly generous mileage warranty on them via Michelin. So hopefully this turns out to be a smart investment.

Here are the specs on the wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...id=AL!3756!3!!!!x!!&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1596.jpeg
    IMG_1596.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

tigeo

Autocross Champion
New lightweight wheels and track tires for the 2024 season on the shop car. Probably the best and worse decision I will make this year: the pricing was too good to pass up on each of them, and the price of tires in North America is going up like it’s war time in the 1940s.

There is no longer a tremendous price savings to be had running 17 inch tires versus 18s. Sad but true, since I was always planning to run a 17 x 9 to keep my consumable costs down.

Kumho V730 in a 245/40 R 18, mounted on 18 x 8.5 inch Konig Hypergram wheels that weigh just 17 pounds.

You can get this tire for 207 apiece right now through Tire Rack or your local Discount Tire if you’re in North America.

I spent countless hours researching every available tire comparison, test, hundreds of user and consumer reviews who actually tracked their cars, etc.

Will likely consolidate my findings for the community if I can find some time to crank out one of my write ups.

The wheels retail for 285 apiece; got mine price matched at 254. Road hazard warranty on the wheels and tires for peace of mind.

I’m tired of burning up my street tires doing track days four times a year.

…Even if they were honoring the incredibly generous mileage warranty on them via Michelin. So hopefully this turns out to be a smart investment.

Here are the specs on the wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?gclid=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xULAAcu18PW2Vvrs8dsXl6tN7wuwuCmu3OaMU-SVCiitXjsc0dJuLRoCucgQAvD_BwE&target=runWheelSearch&wheelMake=Konig&wheelModel=Hypergram&wheelFinish=Metallic+Carbon+w/Machined+Lip&initialPartNumber=HG88508436MCML&GCID=C13674x012-wheel&KEYWORD=wheels_Konig_Hypergram_Metallic_Carbon_w/Machined_Lip_Wheels_18_In_18x8.5_+43&code=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=C-MAX+Hybrid&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=Titanium&checkVehicle=&ef_id=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xULAAcu18PW2Vvrs8dsXl6tN7wuwuCmu3OaMU-SVCiitXjsc0dJuLRoCucgQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!!!!x!!&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1
Yeah the 17" savings isn't quite what it was...18" is fine. Only issue is overall diameter tire+wheel and losing the ability to run really meaty tires more easily 18x9 with 245 or 255s would likely rub on mine in some brands.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah the 17" savings isn't quite what it was...18" is fine. Only issue is overall diameter tire+wheel and losing the ability to run really meaty tires more easily 18x9 with 245 or 255s would likely rub on mine in some brands.
It's honestly tire dependant.

What I'm noticing is that sizes and tires popular for track days, Champcar and Lemons have gone way up, due to high demand. Super sticky 200's are still cheaper in 17 than 18, because primarily used for autocross and TT and there lower demand.