GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Finally got my confirmation email to sign up (posted a new member thread too) Thanks to @mrmatto for the screen shots to get me pointed in the right direction.

I've got 17x9's with RT660's ready for some warmer weather. I went with 245/45/17 to try and attempt more second gear runs on shorter AutoX courses with my manual, Mk8 GTi. I plan to daily the tires on the weeks where the weather looks dry and warm, if I have events bookended on each side of that work week. My biggest reason for choosing the RT660 was that it is one of the only semi-competitive tires that is directional instead of asymmetrical. The RS4 is another consideration for a replacement if I don't end up liking the Falkens. I'd like to keep the option of flipping tires on the rims, to get the most out of my slush fund that I bankroll my hobbies with.

421581786_10229816028121414_752836030110117437_n.jpg

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Anyone try the Vitour Tempesta P1 yet? "drama tire" it seems on the interwebz. TPMS in CA has them in stock.

Screenshot_20240316_105036_Chrome.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone try the Vitour Tempesta P1 yet? "drama tire" it seems on the interwebz. TPMS in CA has them in stock.

View attachment 300921
I haven't.

But I've heard there's some consistency issues and they aren't allowed at national events.

If you're region allows them, might be worth a try, but I'll wait until more sizes available and it's approved nationally.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I haven't.

But I've heard there's some consistency issues and they aren't allowed at national events.

If you're region allows them, might be worth a try, but I'll wait until more sizes available and it's approved nationally.
I'm just talking general use/no comp so no f's given on rules. I suppose it's a one hot lap tire so what's the point for lapping.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm just talking general use/no comp so no f's given on rules. I suppose it's a one hot lap tire so what's the point for lapping.
If I were just lapping, I'd get V730 or RS4.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
why bother with a one-lap wonder for hpde?
Just for discussion purposes was really all....to see if they really live up to the hype. Can't use for competition in 200 classes but wonder if they really die after a lap etc.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Rebates right now have RE71RS in 245/40/17 from Tire Rack at the same price as the Vitours.

Would definitely just go with the known quantity of the Bridgestones for the same price and let all the early adopters figure out where the Vitour ends up performance wise.

Really it would be more interesting if it was priced down with the RS4 or V730.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just for discussion purposes was really all....to see if they really live up to the hype. Can't use for competition in 200 classes but wonder if they really die after a lap etc.

I'm reading the GRM thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-vitour-p1-drama-is-getting-spicy-today/261486/page4/

Honestly the company sounds extremely sketchy and the actual availability of tires is super questionable. I really liked the tire that showed up in May '23 with a January '24 manufacturing date.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rebates right now have RE71RS in 245/40/17 from Tire Rack at the same price as the Vitours.

Would definitely just go with the known quantity of the Bridgestones for the same price and let all the early adopters figure out where the Vitour ends up performance wise.

Really it would be more interesting if it was priced down with the RS4 or V73V730
I tried to process the rebate, site didn't recognize the date range I bought, which was 100% during the rebate.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I tried to process the rebate, site didn't recognize the date range I bought, which was 100% during the rebate.
I’ve had trouble with Bridgestone rebates too. I tend to ignore them. I also don’t think 71 RS are nearly as durable as the Hankook or Conti.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
As expensive as 200TW tires are getting, I think my next set of dedicated track tires are going to be Maxxis RC1s. Those things last forever and are good to the cords without really heat cycling badly. Spec tire due to those characteristics in the SuperMiata race series last I checked.

I do think I'll be ordering some RE71RS in 245/40R17 for autocross though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’ve had trouble with Bridgestone rebates too. I tend to ignore them. I also don’t think 71 RS are nearly as durable as the Hankook or Conti.
Agreed, but they are faster. Only matters if you're competing.

They wear better than yokes and are better than the yokes if you don't have a lot of negative camber.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
As expensive as 200TW tires are getting, I think my next set of dedicated track tires are going to be Maxxis RC1s. Those things last forever and are good to the cords without really heat cycling badly. Spec tire due to those characteristics in the SuperMiata race series last I checked.

I do think I'll be ordering some RE71RS in 245/40R17 for autocross though.
i'm tempted to try the acceleras on some significant camber, see if i can get them to last closer to v730s.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
i'm tempted to try the acceleras on some significant camber, see if i can get them to last closer to v730s.

Yeah, one day I may just buy a set because they're so ridiculously cheap. My brother in law got some for his big turbo Civic and he loves them, but he doesn't know what a good tire actually is so he can remain blissfully ignorant for a while.