GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st time GTI owner

Brinker

Ready to race!
I bought a 2015 GTI with the sports package a month ago, 38KM on it..this is my first performance car so I have been feverishly reading all that I can about mods, first oil change, break in/no need to break in...honestly it gets confusing.lol. One thing that I have not come across is if it's worth tuning your car if u don't have a LSD. Wanted it but wasn't willing to pay extra 7K for the PP to get it..so my question is, is it worth tuning my GTI if I don't have a LSD?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I don't plan on tracking my car, this is a daily driver.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Yes, for sure. Plenty of us only have the XDS (the "fake" differential in the non-PP cars) although I am having an aftermarket diff (Wavetrac) installed as we speak :) And that right there is the nice thing about getting a car WITHOUT the PP, is that you can get aftermarket LSDs that are better than the electronic PP LSDs.

Brinker

Ready to race!
Yes, for sure. Plenty of us only have the XDS (the "fake" differential in the non-PP cars) although I am having an aftermarket diff (Wavetrac) installed as we speak :) And that right there is the nice thing about getting a car WITHOUT the PP, is that you can get aftermarket LSDs that are better than the electronic PP LSDs.

Would you mind telling me how much this will cost? Send me a pm.thanks

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
No need for a PM, the Wavetrac costs $1000-$1200 itself, you can find it from different vendors, I think ECS sells it and 034 as well as others? The install is the tricky part, and typically that's where you'll spend most of your money. Most people recommend installing an LSD when you switch out your clutch because it involves taking out a lot of the same things, so it saves you on labor costs. So that'll largely depend on what your shop charges for labor... and not all shops are willing to crack open a tranny to install an LSD also. I've heard labor costing anywhere from $800 to $1800 just to install LSD, depending on where you're from.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The LSD/Clutch combo is if you're 6MT, of course. And that's the other thing you need to know... As soon as you tune, you'll be past the limits of what the stock clutch can handle, so you will need to replace your clutch at some point in the near future if you tune, and if you're 6MT.

Brinker

Ready to race!
The LSD/Clutch combo is if you're 6MT, of course. And that's the other thing you need to know... As soon as you tune, you'll be past the limits of what the stock clutch can handle, so you will need to replace your clutch at some point in the near future if you tune, and if you're 6MT.

I have a dsg, is there more or less cost?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have a dsg, is there more or less cost?

Well, you won't need a new clutch, but you might want to get a DSG tune if you're gettting a stage 2 tune.

Everything I've heard about the PP "LSD" is negative.

Keep in mind, that with only front wheel drive, traction will always be a problem.

Brinker

Ready to race!
Well, you won't need a new clutch, but you might want to get a DSG tune if you're gettting a stage 2 tune.

Everything I've heard about the PP "LSD" is negative.

Keep in mind, that with only front wheel drive, traction will always be a problem.

I won't be going to stage 2, we only have 91 octane here..I know traction will always be a problem with front wheel drive so with the extra hp and torque of a stage 1 tune, does it make sense? I have heard of the dsg tune but when I go on unitronic site, I have a dealer close by, I can't find dsg tune, only ecu tune.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I won't be going to stage 2, we only have 91 octane here..I know traction will always be a problem with front wheel drive so with the extra hp and torque of a stage 1 tune, does it make sense? I have heard of the dsg tune but when I go on unitronic site, I have a dealer close by, I can't find dsg tune, only ecu tune.

You dont sound like you'd really care for the added cost of stage 2 anyway. Regardless, if even tho you dont have the PP this car is well equipped to handle extra power, you just need to get better tires and learn to modulate the throttle properly so you're not just spinning.

since you sound like you just want some more power but are otherwise pretty happy with the car, i'd suggest you get the JB1 instead of an ECU tune. Retains stock power band and throttle response, just adds power and area under the curve across the whole band. Its good for you as a DSG guy bc it doesnt put you anywhere near your stock TCU programming's torque limits (JB1= 250/300, Stage 1= 290/350, whereas APR has claimed DSG clutch slip at 375 torque without DSG tune), so you dont need a DSG tune. This way if you ever encounter a mechanical issue, or simply need to take the car in for service, you simply remove the JB1 and you're totally clear for warranty work and wont be flagged TD1.

Hope this helps

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
+1 for JB1 recommendation. I wouldn't worry about LSD for now. Drive and enjoy your car, find its limits, and then find what you want to improve go about it that way. Yes, LSD will help no matter what, but again, I wouldn't worry about it for now.

ccbird

Ready to race!
You can't go wrong with JB1 as you can always sell it on the forums after you move to full tune or if you don't like the increased power, who really would say that, with little loss in cost.

I ran APR on my old FWD A3 as well as a GTI and the extra power is great even with the first couple gears being somewhat overpowered. That said, jump on a JB1 and go from there.