GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 GTI S Chirping Noise

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
So the best i can do right now is offer up the number of the TSB, technically its a tech tip just labeled a TSB 13-18-01TT "Chirping noise, intermittent, may sound like an accessory belt"

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I have the noise when turning left.

Is this a sign of a bigger problem down the road? or just an annoyance?

Most likely an annoyance that will eventually be a bigger problem down the road. I will change the seal out and inspect the harmonic balancer, but I’m still betting it’s the steering motor from the YouTube videos posted. I’m out of warranty on that, I may try a used motor if the seal doesn’t change anything. Or trade it in and take a huge hit

Nappy216

Ready to race!
Most likely an annoyance that will eventually be a bigger problem down the road. I will change the seal out and inspect the harmonic balancer, but I’m still betting it’s the steering motor from the YouTube videos posted. I’m out of warranty on that, I may try a used motor if the seal doesn’t change anything. Or trade it in and take a huge hit

So is the chirping a sign that the seal is wearing out? What happens then? oil leak? Vibration?
Trying to determine if this is worth taking to the dealer....I'm always worried that something else will get broken....if it's just a noise an no long term damage will occur I will just live with it.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
So is the chirping a sign that the seal is wearing out? What happens then? oil leak? Vibration?

Trying to determine if this is worth taking to the dealer....I'm always worried that something else will get broken....if it's just a noise an no long term damage will occur I will just live with it.
I ran mine for 20,000 miles with the chirp without issues. Only replaced the seal once and it didn't help, but I was using a Fluidampr pulley.

The first time I installed the Fluidampr, I didn't replace the seal. A tiny amount of oil seeped out when the engine was hot, but I can't stress enough how tiny the seeping was. Wouldn't make a difference unless you were doing 20,000 mile oil change intervals, maybe not even then. I only noticed it because I was looking for it with a 400 lumen shop light.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Vertigo

Update. Went to the dealership. They began to replace the harmonic balancer (under warranty) but while draining the oil the mechanic noticed metal in the oil. VWoA told them to replace the engine and turbo. I am unsure if there is a possible correlation between the the problem addressed in this thread but I figured I'd let anyone know who is interested that Antwerpen in Pasadena, MD was able to conclude that the initial problem with the chirping required replacing the timing cover. The repair is covered under warranty (im still under the 36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty). I am going up there tomorrow to get more info but they think it has something to do with the crank.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
Update. Went to the dealership. They began to replace the harmonic balancer (under warranty) but while draining the oil the mechanic noticed metal in the oil. VWoA told them to replace the engine and turbo. I am unsure if there is a possible correlation between the the problem addressed in this thread but I figured I'd let anyone know who is interested that Antwerpen in Pasadena, MD was able to conclude that the initial problem with the chirping required replacing the timing cover. The repair is covered under warranty (im still under the 36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty). I am going up there tomorrow to get more info but they think it has something to do with the crank.

Yikes. Keep us posted.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Took mine to the dealer on a whim on Monday, they will replace the balancer bolt and seal under warranty. Thanks for that TSB as they said this is news to them. Going in on Saturday, will update if the noise is gone. Thanks guys!

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
So this is the pulley the dealer removed and replaced along with a new crank bolt and seal. At the same time, they had a recall for the fuel tank evap (something inside the gas tank). Both items were done within 1.5 hrs.

So far I haven’t really heard the noise, but also it’s been raining heavily so I have not had the windows down either to really listen for it. The old pulley didn’t feel like it had a ridge either, I still don’t understand how it only touched the seal when turning left. Hopefully the noise is gone long enough before I trade the car in.

Attachments

• 5326F055-B0E5-401F-81F7-2D547826D4A1.jpeg
    5326F055-B0E5-401F-81F7-2D547826D4A1.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 543

Nappy216

Ready to race!
1 week update, so far so good...

Still good?

I thought I could live with it but now that the weather has warmed up and I drive with the windows down more often its driving me nuts.

The other day I actually took a parking spot to the right instead of left so I didn't have to hear the chirping. Dread going to the dealer.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
So the best i can do right now is offer up the number of the TSB, technically its a tech tip just labeled a TSB 13-18-01TT "Chirping noise, intermittent, may sound like an accessory belt"

Thank you for posting the TSB number.
This was a huge help.

Dealer is ordering the special tool for the seal.

In an earlier thread you mentioned high temp grease for the seal. Is this part of the standard VW install or should I mention this to the tech?

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Well just took my car to a supposedly mod friendly dealership for the same issue. Showed them the TSB mentioned earlier and their foreman said they would need to get it hooked up to diagnose my issue and in the process flag the car since I'm pretty heavily modified. Whatever. How hard is this to do DIY with basic tools?

Juggar

Ready to race!
Well just took my car to a supposedly mod friendly dealership for the same issue. Showed them the TSB mentioned earlier and their foreman said they would need to get it hooked up to diagnose my issue and in the process flag the car since I'm pretty heavily modified. Whatever. How hard is this to do DIY with basic tools?

You need special tools I believe, its not something you can really do at home.