allan1229

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
What part numbers do I need?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I still can’t understand why the pulley would have to be replaced, how can that go bad?

Seal and grease sounds logical for sure, but why would this noise be exacerbated when turning left at low speeds?
My SWAG is there is something about turning the wheel left that causes more load on the electric power steering. Maybe the longer half shaft on the passenger side? Honestly no idea, but if it DID draw more power it could be the alternator pulley changing the load on the belt system, pulling the damper a teenie fraction of a milimeter off its axis, putting it in contact with the seal.

But your guess is as good as mine, I had a few experienced VW mechanics stumped as well. But they generally shrugged and said, "it's a Volkswagen, it sqeaks."

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I still can’t understand why the pulley would have to be replaced, how can that go bad?

Seal and grease sounds logical for sure, but why would this noise be exacerbated when turning left at low speeds?

The pulley becomes slightly grooved so replacing the pulley is usually part of the process

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I’ll pull mine soon, worst case I can polish the groove out on the lathe. Still doubt that’s the root cause of this intermittent chirping noise

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I’ll pull mine soon, worst case I can polish the groove out on the lathe. Still doubt that’s the root cause of this intermittent chirping noise

Your particular chirp could very well not be from the pulley and/or seal. But there is an active tech bulletin for the issue, so its best to start from there if possible

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Well my local dealer said that the powertrain wouldn’t cover that so it would be out of pocket.

Would you mind posting that bulletin?

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Well my local dealer said that the powertrain wouldn’t cover that so it would be out of pocket.

Would you mind posting that bulletin?

You should double check your dealership, Ive done a few under powertrain warranty. And I also the link for my Tech bulletins are via VW username and password so I cant post them.