GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 Negative Camber Strut Mounts

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Any more updates on this? Want to hear some long term reviews, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a few thousand daily driver miles and a few canyon runs on them now and nothing negative to report. Doing exactly what I wanted them to do. Well worth it.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Hi All.
I have now installed these on my 7R included the suspnsion mods below!
The 034 camber plates gave me a total -3 in negativ camber up front...

Mods:
034 camber strut Mounts
OEM strut bearing
OEM DCC dampers
OEM Springs
OEM Clubsport S swivels and TTS bearings
SuperPro 006K Alloy LCA's with complete bushing kit fron and rear.

I have NO rubbing problems....

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Hi All.
I have now installed these on my 7R included the suspnsion mods below!
The 024 camber plates gave me a total -3 in negativ camber up front...

Mods:
034 camber strut Mounts
OEM strut bearing
OEM DCC dampers
OEM Springs
OEM Clubsport S swivels and TTS bearings
SuperPro 006K Alloy LCA's with complete bushing kit fron and rear.

I have NO rubbing problems....
sounds like a nice aggressive low nvh setup [emoji106]

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just installed some 034 camber mounts with Dinan coilovers.
Since they were installed at the same time, hard to tell which had an impact on what, but, I can probably give some novice feedback.

More camber in the front. Duh. How much, I don't know yet. Getting an alignment this week after 1k miles. The increased camber has given the front end a lot more grip. I haven't upgraded the sway bars at all and from the beginning I knew I didn't want nor did the car really need it. I don't understand how everyone is going with these huge rsb. I'll explain. A couple days after install, there's an off ramp followed by right turn that you can usually turn at about 50 mph. On stock suspension, I would lift off the gas mid turn to get the car to rotate. After the install, I had been driving for a bit, so noticed a tendency to oversteer, so this time taking that turn, I didn't lift off the throttle mid turn. I was just in gear off the gas and brake. I damn near spun out. Had to counter steer to get back on track. I can't imagine having a bigger rsb and more front camber. Probably because I'm not a seasoned racer. Or people are driving with esc on and don't really know what the setup is actually doing to their car.
Of course now I know going through a turn to keep on the gas to balance it out and reduce the oversteer.

No clunking or anything weird except for one intersection. It only happens on the one. No idea why and I'm really not concerned. There's marginally more noise and harshness, but that could also be going from cushy stock Golf suspension to something with spring rates double those of stock GTI. That being said, it's still surprisingly comfortable.

Can't speak to the wear yet and I might have now feedback after the alignment.

TofuShop

Has anyone installed these camber plates on STX coilovers yet? I am currently running these camber plates on stock shocks w/ H&R sport springs and want to confirm before upgrading. I've been searching but have not found anyone confirming if they will fit.

Thanks

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Has anyone installed these camber plates on STX coilovers yet? I am currently running these camber plates on stock shocks w/ H&R sport springs and want to confirm before upgrading. I've been searching but have not found anyone confirming if they will fit.

Thanks
Any spring/coilover that is designed to use the OEM mount and bearing will work.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I am currently running these camber plates on stock shocks w/ H&R sport springs...

Oddly enough I just went from H&R's with stock dampers and stock mounts back to stock springs (still with stock dampers) but I added the 034 camber plates.

Do you have any noises (beyond the very slightly harsher sound when going over road imperfections)? I've got a really annoying rubber-on-metal rubbing noise on the right side. Sounds to me as if the metal "sleeve" isnt bonded to the rubber in the mount. I get the noise any time I turn the wheel while going slowly/stationary. Basically anytime I'm in a parking lot or pulling in/out of my garage.

I know these plates are supposed to be rebuildable so that is an option if the sound is what I think it is. But if others are getting the sound I might try the SuperPro mounts when I replace my dampers. I'm staying stock height so going to pick up some B6s at some point this summer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Oddly enough I just went from H&R's with stock dampers and stock mounts back to stock springs (still with stock dampers) but I added the 034 camber plates.

Do you have any noises (beyond the very slightly harsher sound when going over road imperfections)? I've got a really annoying rubber-on-metal rubbing noise on the right side. Sounds to me as if the metal "sleeve" isnt bonded to the rubber in the mount. I get the noise any time I turn the wheel while going slowly/stationary. Basically anytime I'm in a parking lot or pulling in/out of my garage.

I know these plates are supposed to be rebuildable so that is an option if the sound is what I think it is. But if others are getting the sound I might try the SuperPro mounts when I replace my dampers. I'm staying stock height so going to pick up some B6s at some point this summer.

If you get the noise while stationary and you're turning the steering wheel, my guess is the noise is coming from your bearings. Did you reuse the bearings or get new ones?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you get the noise while stationary and you're turning the steering wheel, my guess is the noise is coming from your bearings. Did you reuse the bearings or get new ones?

I asked the shop to replace the bearings. Although as I'm thinking about it now I don't remember seeing a charge for bearings on my bill so that could very well be the problem. I also know for a fact they didn't replace the strut bolts when I got the H&Rs installed initially nor when I got my stock springs put back on.

That's twice the bolts should have been replaced and I attribute my slight clunk over low speed bumps to that. When I get my suspension sorted this summer I will be replacing all bearings and hardware.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
That's twice the bolts should have been replaced and I attribute my slight clunk over low speed bumps to that. When I get my suspension sorted this summer I will be replacing all bearings and hardware.

If you think the strut is moving in the knuckle, don’t wait for summer. The pinch bolts and nuts are cheap (around $3.50 total per side). Pick some up and torque it to spec.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you think the strut is moving in the knuckle, don’t wait for summer. The pinch bolts and nuts are cheap (around $3.50 total per side). Pick some up and torque it to spec.

I don't think I'm having any movement down there but it's certainly possible. I'll grab those this weekend. I'm relatively sure the weird rubbing sound is from the top because I had my wife turn the wheel while I listened outside. But the clunking doesn't seem localized to one side so the pinch bolts make sense as the culprit.

I just don't want my new car sounding like my old car anymore, haha. I always thought my Mk4 was just a bit "unrefined" until I got the Mk7, now I cringe every time I drive it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
any long term reviews on this, as it's been over a year plus for some of you?

I have now run these mounts on the stock springs, MSS track pack springs, and 034 dynamic+ springs on my DCC GTI. These are the only part I've bought from 034 where I feel the build quality is good.

With the stock springs, everything was fine and road noise was increased over rough asphalt.

With the MSS springs I had clunking, thunking, squeaking, rattling, "boinging", and scraping sounds. As it turns out, the MSS springs were too short for the dampener and were loose on the strut under full droop. This is a common issue with the MSS springs with any topmount. the MQB205 spring was the culprit, but moving to the MQB220 spring nets a near stock ride height, and when corner balancing higher than stock in my case.

After talking with 034 about my MSS issues they assured me their springs would work perfectly, so I installed them. They are also loose on the strut, and while they have less noise, the feeling is generally unsettling over bumps, the ride is awful over poorer pavement, and they slap against the topmount/bearing constantly over expansion joists, potholes, small speed humps, etc. Because of the metal on the mount, the sound is extremely pronounced, very harsh, and has even made my wife scream in shock on a couple occasions.

I'm going to be moving to Ohlins and these mounts to see how they play, but if I have issues, or I want to run more camber, I'm probably just going to get the Ohlins or Vorshlag adjustable mounts.

Overall I'd say these mounts work fine, and they do get you to -2.2 camber, however, I would not run them with the MSS or 034 springs without going to a shorter dampener. I've also heard of some issues with these and the Bilstein PSS10 coilovers, but I'm not sure if that extends to other Bilstein struts or what the exact failing component was.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I have now run these mounts on the stock springs, MSS track pack springs, and 034 dynamic+ springs on my DCC GTI. These are the only part I've bought from 034 where I feel the build quality is good.

With the stock springs, everything was fine and road noise was increased over rough asphalt.

With the MSS springs I had clunking, thunking, squeaking, rattling, "boinging", and scraping sounds. As it turns out, the MSS springs were too short for the dampener and were loose on the strut under full droop. This is a common issue with the MSS springs with any topmount. the MQB205 spring was the culprit, but moving to the MQB220 spring nets a near stock ride height, and when corner balancing higher than stock in my case.

After talking with 034 about my MSS issues they assured me their springs would work perfectly, so I installed them. They are also loose on the strut, and while they have less noise, the feeling is generally unsettling over bumps, the ride is awful over poorer pavement, and they slap against the topmount/bearing constantly over expansion joists, potholes, small speed humps, etc. Because of the metal on the mount, the sound is extremely pronounced, very harsh, and has even made my wife scream in shock on a couple occasions.

I'm going to be moving to Ohlins and these mounts to see how they play, but if I have issues, or I want to run more camber, I'm probably just going to get the Ohlins or Vorshlag adjustable mounts.

Overall I'd say these mounts work fine, and they do get you to -2.2 camber, however, I would not run them with the MSS or 034 springs without going to a shorter dampener. I've also heard of some issues with these and the Bilstein PSS10 coilovers, but I'm not sure if that extends to other Bilstein struts or what the exact failing component was.

Yeah I hesitate when I see 034, but glad that on this their build quality seems to be better than usual. Thanks for that review going over the issues!

So basically you've used the stock struts throughout all these spring changes. Interesting that Bilstein may also have some issues.