GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. But this is what I had to change to get my drive mode button working. Few different parameters than what you have.

menu_display_charisma to activated
menu_display_charisma_after_disclaimer to not activated
menu_display_charisma_clamp_15_off to not activated
menu_display_charisma_over_threshold_high to activated
menu_display_charisma_standstill to activated

I did all that. Did you have to change this function at all
Car_Function_Gen2-menu_display_charisma,0x17_msg_bus Infotainment data bus? thats what it was set to by default someone suggested to change it to terminal 15 that didnt work either

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Yes...... and also the Car_Function_Gen2-menu_display_charisma,0x17_msg_bus Infotainment data bus. I dont know if its an FEC thing at this point
The FEC stuff for drive modes is handled by the gateway rather than the infotainment module. Perhaps it is possible that the gateway firmware is too old and has a compatibility issue?

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
The FEC stuff for drive modes is handled by the gateway rather than the infotainment module. Perhaps it is possible that the gateway firmware is too old and has a compatibility issue?
Info
Software train: MST2_US_VW_P0890D
Part Number 3Q0035844B

It was working on my MIB1 that was in the car originally. I did an MIB2 swap and it wouldnt work thereafter. Ive already done what others have suggested and it still doesnt work. Others have gotten it to work via this method below.
Im wondering if i have to go swap my MIB 1 back in and copy all FECS out and bring them over. The shop that does ODIS locally couldnt figure it out either and, i wasnt gonna pay $175 more for labor just for him to say he still couldnt figure it out

menu_display_charisma to activated
menu_display_charisma_after_disclaimer to not activated
menu_display_charisma_clamp_15_off to not activated
menu_display_charisma_over_threshold_high to activated
menu_display_charisma_standstill to activated

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
OBD Eleven logs are difficult (for me) to read... I wish they separated the change log from the current status, makes searching difficult, haha. Anyway, try these two changes...

Charisma_0x17_msg_bus: Comfort Data Bus (currently set to Infotainment Data Bus)
menu_display_charisma_standstill: Activated (currently set to Not Activated)

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
OBD Eleven logs are difficult (for me) to read... I wish they separated the change log from the current status, makes searching difficult, haha. Anyway, try these two changes...

Charisma_0x17_msg_bus: Comfort Data Bus (currently set to Infotainment Data Bus)
menu_display_charisma_standstill: Activated (currently set to Not Activated)
also do i need to change security access when making these changes? OR - from developer mode to EOL(end of production line) or anything else? Ive read yes and no.... Haven't really gotten a clear answer as to whether or not security access needs to be put in and/or, if it need to be in EOL or developer mode or any other setting of that nature.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've never had to go into developer mode or EOL mode for anything on the MIB. You can do some things in either of those modes that will cause you a lot of problems.

I don't remember whether or not you have to enter Security Access for the MIB... my gut says yes. In VCDS it will just tell you Security Access required, if it's required.
I haven't use OBD11 in years... but I thought if Security Access was needed OBD11 would prompt you (and suggest codes) when you try to change something.

In any case, security access code is most likely 20103. It doesn't hurt anything if you enter and don't need it. But if you need it and don't enter it the changes will be rejected.

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
I've never had to go into developer mode or EOL mode for anything on the MIB. You can do some things in either of those modes that will cause you a lot of problems.

I don't remember whether or not you have to enter Security Access for the MIB... my gut says yes. In VCDS it will just tell you Security Access required, if it's required.
I haven't use OBD11 in years... but I thought if Security Access was needed OBD11 would prompt you (and suggest codes) when you try to change something.

In any case, security access code is most likely 20103. It doesn't hurt anything if you enter and don't need it. But if you need it and don't enter it the changes will be rejected.
Thanks so much. Im gonna go do the changes you suggested soon and ill respond at some point. I thank you for your time and effort helping me with this issue.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks so much. Im gonna go do the changes you suggested soon and ill respond at some point. I thank you for your time and effort helping me with this issue.
No problem... one other thing is that you might have to let the can bus sleep after making these changes. You can first try a hard reset of the MIB (holding power button for ~10 seconds until it reboots with the VW screen). If that doesn't work lock the car and leave it for 15-20 minutes. I've made changes that were confirmed to work, had them not work but left the changes. Came back in the morning and it was working. That was back before I knew the can bus stayed "awake" for a bit even with ignition off.

cowboykiller

Car(s)
2015 GTI MK7
So I have done everything that everybody has suggested and still no luck getting my DCC/Drive Mode Button to work. Any further Help would be REALLY REALLY APPRECIATED!

I am going to offer a "reward" for the first person who can help me achieve the activation of my DCC/Drive Mode button to be functional again.
Currently i have set $50USD into a Venmo or Cash App wallet to be sent to the first person to solve my issue.

afondafondafond

Car(s)
MK7 Sportwagen 2015
This is a do it yourself of a retrofit of MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment system.

Warning: This is my experience and is for informational purposes. You are fully responsible for your own project, neither myself nor this website is responsible for what you do.

UPDATE: This post abbreviates the information provided for the DIY: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-87#post-7671706

IMPORTANT UPDATE: If you purchase the right manufacutue of headunit you can get around component protection and enable all the needed FECs with an SD card and software. I will try to find link for this process somewhere in this thread when I find the time and update.

This is to supplement the excellent article on vortex here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-with-CARPLAY Huge thanks paul_elstak at vortex for doing the groundwork on this. This article pertains to a unit that is modified by a secondary manufacture so is not stock.

The article by Shapeshifter is a must read. It applies to modified unit (or hacked in authors words) and non-modified unit’s differences and what needs to be done to get them working. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30577

My first decision was “hacked” or “non-hacked”. I am performing the conversion to a 2015 SE, so I have the Fender system with the MIB1 amplifier under the seat. Since cost was a primary driver and I was unable to get MIB2 Infotainment headunit to work with MIB1 Amplifier, (statement is no longer applicable, MIB1 amp can work with MIB2 headunit see below) I reached out to companies that modify head units, requesting if I could send my MIB2 unit for conversion and tweak to work with MIB1 amp as a vendor stated they could do this in the first article referenced. I received three responses, all saying they only supply Navigation units. So I needed to go the non-hacked method, bite the bullet and buy an MIB2 amplifier and the key to add Carplay.

Costs: If you have a non-Fender system you can go MIB2 with larger screen and faster unit for approximately $400 plus cost for component protection (CP) removal. If you want App-Connect for CarPlay or Android then add $240 so you are at $640 plus CP removal. If you have the Fender System add another $380 for amplifier. I shopped it and with the Fender system my total parts cost was $870. However, still significantly cheaper than a hacked unit which is approximately $1,450 for head unit alone. NOTE: This information has been updated as you can use your MIB1 Fender amplifer with MIB2 head unit see below.

Parts:

Infotainment Unit: Replaced MIB1 5G0035844 with MIB2 3Q0035844. These units are readily available from salvage yards and eBay for around $130, I paid $83 shipped.

Display Screen: Replaced 5.8” 400X240 pixel 5G0919605H display with 6.5” 800X480 pixel 3G0919605H or 3G0919605 display. With different resolution must have MIB2 head unit. 6.5” is big enough for me and allows reuse of existing fascia piece. My only navigation will be Apple Maps through Carplay. They run around $200 and seem to be a tad cheaper from a salvage yard vice eBay. I purchased a clean 6.5” screen for just under $160.

Note: The NAR 3G0919605H layout is different the ROW 3G0919605 and in my opinion the European screen’s layout is cleaner. The European does not have the “Voice” button, but has a “Mute” button in its place. Voice is replaced with separate “Setup” button so you don’t have to go through sub menus. Band button is labeled Radio. I have used the voice button a handful of times in my over 2.5 years of ownership and found its use an exercise in frustration. The voice function is still available on steering wheel.

USB/Aux Connector and Harness: Replaced media input with USB/Aux so I could use Appleplay. I purchased 5G0035222E with harness off of Aliexpress for $65 shipped. It is now $80. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKRkvN3 Harness was considerably longer than required, but there is plenty of space to roll up excess behind cubby that holds USB/Aux inputs and it worked fine. I checked out using harness with MIB1 unit and changed bit 19 of headunit for use with USB, but no joy. If you need the USB outlet you will have to have MIB2 headunit.

MIB2 Amplifier: No longer required see update below. Replaced MIB1 Amplifier 5G0035456 with MIB2 Amplifier 5Q0035456. $315 shipped. Note the database most salvage yards use lists 5G0035456 for amplifier. If the car is a 2016 it should be a 5Q0035456, but you may want to ask and verify.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Per this thread a MIB1 amplifier can be made to work with a MIB2 head unit. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=806606&postcount=593 . MIB2.5 units and MIB2 3G0 035 047 units are not working with MIB1 amps. See here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...conversion-part-1.343701/page-88#post-7679873

VW Car Connect Activation Code: $240 shipped. http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/vw-...830a-document/ Do not buy the VW Car Connection Activation Code see the update below.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: This post is an update purchasing App-connect. It will make more sense after you read through the thread. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showp...&postcount=262 https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showp...&postcount=262

Stereo Removal Tools: The VW manual calls out for part number T10057 not PC5-93 called out in reference article. However, either one will work fine, and I found the PC5-93 was easier to work with. You only need one set of two. For the display there are four keeps, but you can do the two upper, release; and then two lower and remove.

Process overview:

Recommend saving coding and adaptations, then replace Media In connector with USB/Aux input and harness, replace display screen, and infotainment unit, then have Jack Kirry or simaservis1108 remove Component Protection, install App-Connect key (FeC) and re-install existing FeC's (Driver's mode, Voice command, etc).
Hello,

I've spent quite sometime reading on this forum , and decided to jump in and upgrade my MIB1 2015 Sportwagen to MIB2 ( 2GM035876B + 5G6919605D). I see there was a Jack located in Poland that people used to remove CP and code the FECs for their new modules, but that was in 2018. Is Jack still doing this? How can I get in contact with him? or do you recommend other contacts for this remote process?

Thank you, so glad and thankful for all the passionate members on that forum who spend time and efforts to help us out there!

Pat