GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI => bad engine

DucatiSSsp

Passed Driver's Ed
yes I have been dealing with VW care.

BTW,my service adviser at my dealer has been great. Very honest and transparent.

Dealer and regional service rep wanted to give me a new motor, turbo and 3 year service plan. Explained to VW care my concerns of resale value w/ a replacement motor and potential issues that may occur during the R&R process.
Didn't say lemon law outright, but mentioned how they had already had my vehicle for close to 3 weeks. Believe they only took 5 days before they called me and said I would be getting a new car.
Best of luck!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Read the back of your purchase contract. Mine (bought in California) has under Section 4 the following:
If you do not get a written warranty, and the Seller does not enter into a service contract within 90 days from the date of this contract, the Seller makes no warranties, express or implied warranties of merchantabillity or of fitness for a particular purpose.

This provision does not affect any warranties covering the vehicle that the vehicle manufacturer may provide.
That says to me the seller doesn't really warranty the car unless you get a service contract. So the dealer has wiped their hands of any issues and it's all up to VW to rectify. You DID get a written warranty but from the manufacturer, not the seller. But that's OK as we all know sellers/dealers are lame anyway.

That being said, VW is apparently exercising their warranty by providing a fix even though it's not a manner in which the OP is comfortable. But it is making good on at least attempting to fix the problem. So any lemon law wouldn't really apply yet. They haven't even finished their first attempt at fixing it yet. Besides, sometimes the replacement is better than the original. My brand new '95 Camaro got a replaced transmission (in my case it was a new one) which was undeniably better than the original.

OP should get the extended VW warranty for free paid for by VW (the engine is not really the dealer's fault so no need to make them pay for it unless they want to take the high road) and keep a very close eye on everything engine-related when the car is returned.

Then, if you still don't want it, sell it in a year. It's a GTI, not a 1965 Aston-Martin DB5 so most general buyers are not going to check for matching numbers. Then buy another one.

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Read the back of your purchase contract. Mine (bought in California) has under Section 4 the following:
If you do not get a written warranty, and the Seller does not enter into a service contract within 90 days from the date of this contract, the Seller makes no warranties, express or implied warranties of merchantabillity or of fitness for a particular purpose.

This provision does not affect any warranties covering the vehicle that the vehicle manufacturer may provide.
That says to me the seller doesn't really warranty the car unless you get a service contract. So the dealer has wiped their hands of any issues and it's all up to VW to rectify. You DID get a written warranty but from the manufacturer, not the seller. But that's OK as we all know sellers/dealers are lame anyway.

That being said, VW is apparently exercising their warranty by providing a fix even though it's not a manner in which the OP is comfortable. But it is making good on at least attempting to fix the problem. So any lemon law wouldn't really apply yet. They haven't even finished their first attempt at fixing it yet. Besides, sometimes the replacement is better than the original. My brand new '95 Camaro got a replaced transmission (in my case it was a new one) which was undeniably better than the original.

OP should get the extended VW warranty for free paid for by VW (the engine is not really the dealer's fault so no need to make them pay for it unless they want to take the high road) and keep a very close eye on everything engine-related when the car is returned.

Then, if you still don't want it, sell it in a year. It's a GTI, not a 1965 Aston-Martin DB5 so most general buyers are not going to check for matching numbers. Then buy another one.

Yes not dealing with the dealer but they do seem a bit negligent since it was leaking oil the day I brought it home.

I already have the maintenance plan, vw care , until 5 years. This was supposed to be my worry free car since my other car is a nice 996 turbo.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yes not dealing with the dealer but they do seem a bit negligent since it was leaking oil the day I brought it home.
Probably so but I'm guessing they don't notice these things due to moving cars all over the lot all the time. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer/tech or anyone at a dealership move a car and come back to scrutinize the ground where the car was! So they probably never see leaks like this develop. At your parent's house or your own, there is plenty of time for the car to sit, leak and you to notice it.

I bought a DVD player one time that failed 31 days after I bought it and the seller (Circuit City) refused to take it back or fix it. I wrote a letter to the manufacturer which took it and repaired it for free. While it was an example of me paying full new price for a refurbished item, albeit mine, at least they made good on it and the player worked fine for years until I moved on to Blu-Ray. I did, however, never buy any electronics from Circuit City again.

Good luck.

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Probably so but I'm guessing they don't notice these things due to moving cars all over the lot all the time. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer/tech or anyone at a dealership move a car and come back to scrutinize the ground where the car was! So they probably never see leaks like this develop. At your parent's house or your own, there is plenty of time for the car to sit, leak and you to notice it.

I bought a DVD player one time that failed 31 days after I bought it and the seller (Circuit City) refused to take it back or fix it. I wrote a letter to the manufacturer which took it and repaired it for free. While it was an example of me paying full new price for a refurbished item, albeit mine, at least they made good on it and the player worked fine for years until I moved on to Blu-Ray. I did, however, never buy any electronics from Circuit City again.

Good luck.

Thanks

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You are right to push back. Tell them that you will not accept the reman engine. Keep working with corporate and keep track of all your correspondence, names, numbers as others have said. They want want to do the least to get you to ‘go away’. Don’t let them.

He cannot insist on anything. This falls under the principle of tort law where the he was offered to be made whole.

Last edited:

DAS_STIG

Banned
He cannot insist on anything. This falls under the principle of tort law where the he was offered to be made whole.

Made whole minus the depreciation on the vehicle due to having a remanufactured engine.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I think the biggest thing that people consider when they hear "reman" is a 3rd party company, taking some old parts, cleaning them, and installing new seals and gaskets. Since circulation of the E888 is now more abundant, most of the engines I replace now are "remans". Rewind 2 years ago, they were all brand new right off the line. I've compared and inspected almost of the reman engines coming through and you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. These engines are rebuilt by the same people that build it originally. They still carry the same warranty and still use the same exact parts. Components that go into these engines are going to up to par to what is in the car new. If you have a competent technician with experience, you shouldn't even notice the engine was replaced. Be sure to point out anything you see out of place or even if there is extra grease or oil in a spot that there shouldn't be. Personally if my motor blew in my 18 R and my only option was a reman, I would be comfortable enough to know the engine is assembled just as well as it was off the line.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Made whole minus the depreciation on the vehicle due to having a remanufactured engine.

There is no proven depreciation for that outside the scope of average new vehicle depreciation (for vehicle value and insurance purposes). I guess it really depends who you sell to.

I think the biggest thing that people consider when they hear "reman" is a 3rd party company, taking some old parts, cleaning them, and installing new seals and gaskets. Since circulation of the E888 is now more abundant, most of the engines I replace now are "remans". Rewind 2 years ago, they were all brand new right off the line. I've compared and inspected almost of the reman engines coming through and you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. These engines are rebuilt by the same people that build it originally. They still carry the same warranty and still use the same exact parts. Components that go into these engines are going to up to par to what is in the car new. If you have a competent technician with experience, you shouldn't even notice the engine was replaced. Be sure to point out anything you see out of place or even if there is extra grease or oil in a spot that there shouldn't be. Personally if my motor blew in my 18 R and my only option was a reman, I would be comfortable enough to know the engine is assembled just as well as it was off the line.

Sorry you had to go through that man, but at least you understand the process and how it all works. Thanks for providing your insight.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I haven't heard where a court awarded damages when an auto manufacturer did what they stated they would do in their waranty. They already went beyond by providing him with a free loaner car.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Shitty luck OP. I trust you were following proper break in procedure and letting the oil warm up before hitting the gas hard, correct? This aside, still should not have caused the engine to leak any oil. Good luck to you. Fight the used engine because its absolute BS to buy a brand new car that is broken and then be given a used engine as a consolation.

Last edited: