GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hood liner/insulation Mk7.5

ECJ215

I just noticed that there is no hood liner on my mk7.5 GTI. Is this normal? If so, any suggestions for an aftermarket liner? I think some insulation, if only to protect the paint on the hood from heat, is a good idea!
VW refers to it as a Hood Insulation Pad (part #5GM863831). Fits mk7 and mk7.5 Golfs. Located several sources for it from $77:20 to $184:99. Local dealer has ordered one for me ($85:00 which is cheapest as I don't have to pay postage).

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Anymore, I think it's for sound deadening not to protect the paint. The engine cover has it's own insulation so I'm not sure what purpose the hood insulation serves. I do know VW probably saves $1.00 per car. Multiply that by the number of cars built.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I just noticed that there is no hood liner on my mk7.5 GTI. Is this normal? If so, any suggestions for an aftermarket liner? I think some insulation, if only to protect the paint on the hood from heat, is a good idea!

If you really want a hood liner, you might try a salvage yard. I'm sure the cost on that part is outrageous if you source it new.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
If you really want a hood liner, you might try a salvage yard. I'm sure the cost on that part is outrageous if you source it new.
Junk yard for sure. It would likely be in great shape

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'd stop by the dealer and look at others to make sure it wasn't an error in assembly. Trying to convince the dealer it wasn't there when you bough the car is another story.

I take back the $1.00, with the clips it looks like about $200 list for a 2016, which I believe is the same?

Last edited:

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
I'd stop by the dealer and look at others to make sure it wasn't an error in assembly. Trying to convince the dealer it wasn't there when you bough the car is another story.

I take back the $1.00, with the clips it looks like about $200 list for a 2016, which I believe is the same?
That's what I'd do. At first I thought maybe this was another cost-cutting move like the battery cover on late 2017's like mine, but I think it's supposed to be there. I just skimmed through several reviews of the 2018 and while most don't show under the hood in that detail, a couple do, and you can see the insulation. Kind of hard to see on the first one, but it's there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeqJarEPwE&t=6m1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twbI3PLxQQ&t=2m3s

OP, ask to check another on the lot. If others don't have it, maybe somehow this is a last minute change that was not on those review models. If they do have them, but they believe you just removed yours to get another for free, ask them how much a 1-star rating on the VW survey, Yelp, etc. and your future business means to them...

*EDIT - just saw this post on Vortex - it's about something else, but I noticed in the picture provided by the OP, they also don't have insulation under the hood (under Service Request #2):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-part-do&p=111022465&viewfull=1#post111022465

Larger sample size is probably needed, but now I'm starting to lean towards this being continued penny-pinching on VW's part like the battery cover...

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
That's what I'd do. At first I thought maybe this was another cost-cutting move like the battery cover on late 2017's like mine, but I think it's supposed to be there. I just skimmed through several reviews of the 2018 and while most don't show under the hood in that detail, a couple do, and you can see the insulation. Kind of hard to see on the first one, but it's there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeqJarEPwE&t=6m1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twbI3PLxQQ&t=2m3s

OP, ask to check another on the lot. If others don't have it, maybe somehow this is a last minute change that was not on those review models. If they do have them, but they believe you just removed yours to get another for free, ask them how much a 1-star rating on the VW survey, Yelp, etc. and your future business means to them...

I opened the hood of all three MK7.5's in my dealer's showroom last week-- no hood liners.

ECJ215

Thanks for the information. Went to VW today and they confirmed that the 2018 GTI does not have a hood liner / insulation. Said it was a surprize to them. They were frustratingly unhelpful when asked if a hood liner from a different model golf would fit etc..

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
So far, the bean counters' hit list has included: hood liners, felt lining in the glove box, AC in the glove box, glove box lock, chrome trim on window switches, backlighting in the overhead panel, battery insulation - am I missing anything? I really fear for the Golf 8, these guys are just cutting super trivial stuff now, but on an all-new platform, they may go hog wild.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
So far, the bean counters' hit list has included: hood liners, felt lining in the glove box, AC in the glove box, glove box lock, chrome trim on window switches, backlighting in the overhead panel, battery insulation - am I missing anything? I really fear for the Golf 8, these guys are just cutting super trivial stuff now, but on an all-new platform, they may go hog wild.

But the base model now gets LED DRLs and tails, and rain sensing wipers. It's as if VW is trying to add value with things that are more marketable and noticeable, and skimp on areas where 99% of people wouldn't care about or even notice. From a purely marketing perspective, it's smart, but for the 1% of VW's hardcore enthusiast base, it's an insult. Let's face it, the felt glovebox is not something you include on a brochure, but rain sensing wipers and LED lights are.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

And some of those began with the 2017 MY. Even early ones don't have felt lined air conditioned locking glove box.

As for what you're missing, there's no light up ring around the 12v plug just below the shifter in my 2017. My wife's 2015 Golf has one.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
And some of those began with the 2017 MY. Even early ones don't have felt lined air conditioned locking glove box.

As for what you're missing, there's no light up ring around the 12v plug just below the shifter in my 2017. My wife's 2015 Golf has one.

My late 2017 has the A/C glove box but no felt lining and no locking latch.