GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hood liner/insulation Mk7.5

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
My late 2017 has the A/C glove box but no felt lining and no locking latch.

This means with the cost cutting on your car, you are effectively subsidizing the updates that the 2018 models got. :p

On another note, does this mean that I can now remove the insulation under the hood without worrying about my paint peeling? For those of you who remember, that is in reference to a thread that I don’t care to dig up right now.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
This means with the cost cutting on your car, you are effectively subsidizing the updates that the 2018 models got. :p

Except that I got $4k off MSRP + 0% APR. Glad to sacrifice some fake velvet and a glovebox lock for $4k anyday. Who am I subsidizing again?

At least I got my hood liner, overhead console illumination, full battery insulation and refrigerated glovebox :p

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
has anyone ever used the glove box AC?

just wondering...

I live in the Sonoran desert - 30+ days over 110 last year. For people in climates like mine, it's a VERY nice little feature to have.

EDIT: make that "used to live" in the Sonoran desert, I'm now 3 hours to the southeast at altitude, enjoying considerable cooler temperatures, and exponentially more annual rainfall. :D

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
oh and thx to you guys I now know I don't have felt in my glove box.....ignorance was bliss Don't worry still pretty blissful

Mud

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
On another note, does this mean that I can now remove the insulation under the hood without worrying about my paint peeling? For those of you who remember, that is in reference to a thread that I don’t care to dig up right now.

Yup, its just for noise insulation now a days. In the old days it served multiple purposes. Noise insulation, help protect the hood paint, and MBZ used a glue that would drop the hood pad on the engine to put out a fire (glue would weaken after getting exposed to the heat of open flames).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yup, its just for noise insulation now a days. In the old days it served multiple purposes. Noise insulation, help protect the hood paint, and MBZ used a glue that would drop the hood pad on the engine to put out a fire (glue would weaken after getting exposed to the heat of open flames).

Back before most here were born, I think GM's plastic clips would melt.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Are you really somehow equating a $4k discount to the removal of those items? I want some of whatever you're smoking!

I'm not equating a $4k discount on the removal of those items. I'm making the value statement that I would gladly choose $4k cash for a 2017 lacking rain sensing wipers and LED tails over the 2018s with those features but at MSRP or slightly below. No one is getting $4k under MSRP on a base model 2018. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. Rain sensing wipers and LED tails aren't worth $4k in my book.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Back before most here were born, I think GM's plastic clips would melt.

Honestly that makes more sense / sounds a lot cheaper then using the glue. It's pretty cool to know other manufacturers were dropping hood pads to put out a fire as well.

cb1111

Honestly that makes more sense / sounds a lot cheaper then using the glue. It's pretty cool to know other manufacturers were dropping hood pads to put out a fire as well.
Up until the time that engines started having plastic covers, most vehicles sold in the US had an underhood pad that served two purposes - to keep heat from damaging the paint on the cars and to serve as a fire blanket - the pad was held on by a bunch of plastic "buttons" that melted easily.

The engine covers found on all cars these days serve both purposes so the pads are mostly redundant