GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels won't come off

Loonster

Ready to race!
Went to put on some Rokblokz yesterday which I got done and they look pretty good. Better still I drove in some ugly brown slush and none of it wound up on the car.

The fronts went on really easy, I just turned the wheels to give me room to work. Then I got to the rears and decided it would be best to just remove the rear wheels so I could do what I needed to do. I took off the lug nuts and tried as hard as I could to get the wheel off. No luck on either side. I got the manual out just to see if there was something else that needed to be done. Finally I called the VW dealer and asked a service advisor if there was any advice he could offer. He was stumped at my problem.

Anyone else ever run into this?

Loonster

Ready to race!
Park it in the garage to melt ice. Probably frozen.

In the garage, garage heated to 70 degrees so frozen isn't the problem. I'm thinking the hub is rusted to the wheel. The bad part of that is that the car has 3000 miles on it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Put the lug BOLTS back on but leave them a little loose. Drive the car slowly back and forth about 2 feet each way. Should loosen the wheel from the hub.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Loosely put the lug bolts back in. With the car jacked up, hit the tire on the inside with a Rubber mallet a few times. The wheel should come off then.

Loonster

Ready to race!
Put the lug BOLTS back on but leave them a little loose. Drive the car slowly back and forth about 2 feet each way. Should loosen the wheel from the hub.

I'll try that..

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Get someone with some muscles to help you. There's no way that anything has rusted together. Put two lugs back in, leave them loose - and go get your snow boots on and kick the tire as hard as you can.

Loonster

Ready to race!
Wheel = aluminum, hub = steel. Add water. Sometimes with salt. Molecules have sex.

I agree. Now as for the guy saying that I need to get someone with some muscles, you must be operating under the incredibly false presumption that I lack strength. I kicked the daylights out of that tire, yanked on it as hard as I could and sat under the car kicking it out too. I check in at 6'0 and 218lbs, spent a good portion of my life doing concrete and masonry work. I'm pretty sure I'm capable of removing a tire.

Loonster

Ready to race!
But hey, on the bright side the Rokbloks look really cool.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Some people recommend putting anti-seize on the hub and rotor face. Seems like a good idea, but I’ve yet to have a stuck wheel. Good luck!

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
This would happen to my rears all the time. Had to rock them back and forth and use a rubber mallet.

I use anti seize now after they are off and don’t have a problem anymore.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Put anti-seize or Fluid Film on the mating surface of the wheel before you reinstall.

After one New England winter I had to beat my rear wheels off (and they weren't frozen at the time).