GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BUSTED! - Plastic oil pan...

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I will talk to the my fellow ECS Tuning Employees and see if we can get our name off of the oil pan. It's not someone is going to look under your car at a show or race event to see whose oil pan you are running. BTW, thanks for a good suggestion.

Chuck

I’m just under my car too often! Lol. If a badgless version comes I’ll be ready! I’m doing my trans swap next week or the following. May as well do the on while I’m right there!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not convinced this is the way to go for me, but general question. the pan is a simple diy from underneath the car (I don't have to doo much other than pan/sender etc?)

just trying to learn.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The center section is an upside-down plateau. The center section sits below the mounting areas. The overall shape of the plate is like an upside-down dome. Any pressure applied to the center section will be evenly distributed across the mounting locations because of that.

Neither the ECS or the OEM plate are meant to hold the weight of the car. Any attempt to support the front of the car on either plate would be idiotic. These plates are designed to stop rocks and other road debris from impacting the oil pan. They're not designed to bear large loads.

Both plates are more than capable of handling rocks and other debris impacting them. Beach your car with either and something will most likely break.

I can attest to the durability of the ECS plate. It survived a deer collision at 35mph. Quarter panel, bumper, grills, fog light, headlight, hood, hood hinges, and radiator mount were all damaged. The ECS plate didn't even move and had no bolts or screws sheared.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
not convinced this is the way to go for me, but general question. the pan is a simple diy from underneath the car (I don't have to doo much other than pan/sender etc?)

just trying to learn.

Yup, you'll basically just unbolt the factory pan, clean up the mounting surface, apply the gasket, bolt the new pan in, and torque the bolts down. Should be a fairly easy DIY.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The center section is an upside-down plateau. The center section sits below the mounting areas. The overall shape of the plate is like an upside-down dome. Any pressure applied to the center section will be evenly distributed across the mounting locations because of that.

Neither the ECS or the OEM plate are meant to hold the weight of the car. Any attempt to support the front of the car on either plate would be idiotic. These plates are designed to stop rocks and other road debris from impacting the oil pan. They're not designed to bear large loads.

Both plates are more than capable of handling rocks and other debris impacting them. Beach your car with either and something will most likely break.

I can attest to the durability of the ECS plate. It survived a deer collision at 35mph. Quarter panel, bumper, grills, fog light, headlight, hood, hood hinges, and radiator mount were all damaged. The ECS plate didn't even move and had no bolts or screws sheared.

Hey look, common sense in a thread filled with fake news. Thumbs up mate!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Wondering how hitting a deer would test and oil pan 4 inches off the ground and under a car? Was the deer sleeping on the road?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Wondering how hitting a deer would test and oil pan 4 inches off the ground and under a car? Was the deer sleeping on the road?

I'm at a loss for words, even I'm embarrassed. Want to try again with what you are trying to say? Obviously you are trying to tell him off for no reason but dayum son. I always figured you were one of the good guys Sandman.

mrrogers1

I kind of wondered the same thing... I mean, I get AND fully agree with what he was saying about beaching the car but the deer part seemed a little off. Conflating the frontal (usually) impact of the deer with the plate protecting the oil pan seems like a miss.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm at a loss for words, even I'm embarrassed. Want to try again with what you are trying to say? Obviously you are trying to tell him off for no reason but dayum son. I always figured you were one of the good guys Sandman.

I try to keep my armor polished.
Sorry if I let you down.

Maybe I missed something.
There has been much talk about oil pans lately.
People talking about rocks and such items hitting the pan.
Then I read about hitting a deer and the pan holding up.
Most hit deer damage the bumper, hood, windshield and side windows.
Never thought the oil pan would be a player.

Just through the example was odd but maybe I did not read an earlier post.

I am for stronger pans or stronger under engine covers.
Looking for something during my 50,000 mile service.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I try to keep my armor polished.
Sorry if I let you down.

Maybe I missed something.
There has been much talk about oil pans lately.
People talking about rocks and such items hitting the pan.
Then I read about hitting a deer and the pan holding up.
Most hit deer damage the bumper, hood, windshield and side windows.
Never thought the oil pan would be a player.

Just through the example was odd but maybe I did not read an earlier post.

I am for stronger pans or stronger under engine covers.
Looking for something during my 50,000 mile service.

Ah there we go, Reggie was talking about the "plate" I took that to mean belly pan, and you thought oil pan. He was trying to address peoples concerns with the ECS belly pan being attached poorly and causing additional damage in an accident. Most have been talking about hitting a rock on the ground causing the ECS pan to damage the bumper and impact the pan (with no proof, although definitely possible), and while impacting a deer that went over or to the side of the car rather then under isn't the best example, he was just providing a real life example.

I was just trying to give you a hard time cause you came off stronger with that post then you normally do. You are still one of the good peoples. I guess the only reason I thought this relevant is that in a front end collision or impact, due to the way the ECS belly pan mounts, it could cause issues.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ah there we go, Reggie was talking about the "plate" I took that to mean belly pan, and you thought oil pan. He was trying to address peoples concerns with the ECS belly pan being attached poorly and causing additional damage in an accident. Most have been talking about hitting a rock on the ground causing the ECS pan to damage the bumper and impact the pan (with no proof, although definitely possible), and while impacting a deer that went over or to the side of the car rather then under isn't the best example, he was just providing a real life example.

I was just trying to give you a hard time cause you came off stronger with that post then you normally do. You are still one of the good peoples. I guess the only reason I thought this relevant is that in a front end collision or impact, due to the way the ECS belly pan mounts, it could cause issues.

My Wife says I do that.
Sorry was joking more on my end. Guess you could not see my smile. Now I get the post. I have read the ECS comments

The ECS cover might not be the best but it is not the worst.
My Wifes Tucson had an OE under engine cover made out of pressed fiber.
She ran over a torn tire section which caught the under side and tore a section. I upgraded it to a thick plastic part. When throwing the old one out I tore it up by hand to get it in the bag. Sad.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I definitely dislike all of the plastic in the engine bay of modern cars. It's not just the oil pan I dislike on modern cars, but, when I worked at Honda 20 years ago, we did actually see the occasional ripped-open oil pan on a newer car. The oil pans back then were steel, typically people were impacting metal road debris (we never saw an oil pan fail from a rock). If it was a female driving, we generally would need to R/R the short block also because typically the female drivers didn't know what the flashing red genie icon on the dash meant. They'd just keep driving until the car stopped running! Warranty didn't cover those cases.

I like the idea of a skid-plate style protection, but I have seen rebar and other road debris go through chassis parts like a bullet.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My Wife says I do that.
Sorry was joking more on my end. Guess you could not see my smile. Now I get the post. I have read the ECS comments

The ECS cover might not be the best but it is not the worst.
My Wifes Tucson had an OE under engine cover made out of pressed fiber.
She ran over a torn tire section which caught the under side and tore a section. I upgraded it to a thick plastic part. When throwing the old one out I tore it up by hand to get it in the bag. Sad.

Yup yup, I may have been around the internet block a time or two, but I still suck at reading those hidden smiles (same in real life too). You should have posted a picture of a squirrel chewing on something or looking cheeky, then I would have not been a dumbass. So clearly its all your fault, and none of my own.... right? Shit.