GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 vs Genesis...

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Haven't run down the track yet. Just know what I've beat or what beat me. Lol. So far I've beat two different stock golf Rs, a stock Evo X, my nephews Genesis, a TL-Shawd 6-speed with bolt ons, and a few other slower cars. I tried running two different GTIs last week. One was DSG, JB4 at 26psi, downpipe, e30, and a pedal box. From 40-110. I lost by about 3+ cars. The other was a 2 door dsg, JB1 at 5.6, downpipe, e30, pedal box from 25-110 and 40-110. I was about 2-3 cars back. Both got a good jump at the start from the combo of dsg and pedal box. I was running JB4 map 6 at 23 psi, "stock" piggie pipe, and e30. I'm guessing the car is capable of 105+ trap speeds

Are you also dual clutch or torque converter like mine? That's pretty impressive. Also crazy how fast the modded GTI's and R's are... why 23 psi and not 24-26? How does the pedal box change anything? Is our throttle input not 1:1 ?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Are you also dual clutch or torque converter like mine? That's pretty impressive. Also crazy how fast the modded GTI's and R's are... why 23 psi and not 24-26? How does the pedal box change anything? Is our throttle input not 1:1 ?

I just double checked my log, and my target was set at 24 psi for 3,500-4,000. I have played around with higher settings when I had the 3" downpipe. Ive hit as high as 23.4 in third gear and 25.1 in fourth. The IS12 gets too hot trying to push any more than that and you will lose some power above 5,000 as a result. I am now on the stock downpipe with the primary cat gutted. It loses a little on the top end, so I boost a little less at peak to help it out. With a 24 psi target, I hit 22 psi peak in third and held 16 psi at 6,000.
The pedal box gives quicker throttle response. Takes away any lag when pressing the pedal. The guy with the JB1 only has had it for a while and would always get the jump on the JB4 car. That guy then went and got one and they are now even at the start. He swears it made a difference

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I always like to ask them.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
V6 is a hair quicker than a stock GTI (about a 102 trap).

Pretty underwhelming cars IMO.
A hair? My stock 15' Genesis coupe 3.8 manual ran 13.6. Yeah my stock 16' Gti Dsg is no where close to that! More like 14.5 on a good day. Now that I'm practically full bolt'ons and stage 2 ht it's way dif. My old Genny was a blast to drive and got way way more attention than my gti does. Had it about a year now and have never had a person yell sweet ride. Had that almost every time I drove my Genny. And that aftermarket exhaust note tho.. Best sounding exhaust I've heard.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
A hair? My stock 15' Genesis coupe 3.8 manual ran 13.6. Yeah my stock 16' Gti Dsg is no where close to that! More like 14.5 on a good day. Now that I'm practically full bolt'ons and stage 2 ht it's way dif. My old Genny was a blast to drive and got way way more attention than my gti does. Had it about a year now and have never had a person yell sweet ride. Had that almost every time I drove my Genny. And that aftermarket exhaust note tho.. Best sounding exhaust I've heard.

That's cute, what did it trap?

Travis9935

Ready to race!
That's cute, what did it trap?
105 mph. Then I did a Cai & cnt catback with removed rear cats. Then came with sexy growl. [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6] The 285/30-20's made the biggest difference, they hooked up! The crappy oem 245's just spun. Prob why all the times for stock were mid/high 13's. Never ran it all modded, but noticeably quicker.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Loved that car, but not practical with the winters here. Even with snow tires. :(

Hoon

Autocross Champion
105 mph. Then I did a Cai & cnt catback with removed rear cats. Then came with sexy growl. [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6] The 285/30-20's made the biggest difference, they hooked up! The crappy oem 245's just spun. Prob why all the times for stock were mid/high 13's. Never ran it all modded, but noticeably quicker.

That's def faster than I would have expected.

I think most of the mags have them at like 103 in ideal conditions...unless I was looking at the older ones. I know the newer ones got quicker.

Mars1

Ready to race!
A 3.8 genesis dude was talking trash the other day out his window.

At the next light he cut in front of me and punched it on green. I wasn't ready, but the road was clear far ahead so I hit it late.

I was about 4 car lengths behind him at start, by 110-ish I was 2 cars ahead of him.

I thought the 3.8 were a bit faster, so did he, lol.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
A 3.8 genesis dude was talking trash the other day out his window.

At the next light he cut in front of me and punched it on green. I wasn't ready, but the road was clear far ahead so I hit it late.

I was about 4 car lengths behind him at start, by 110-ish I was 2 cars ahead of him.

I thought the 3.8 were a bit faster, so did he, lol.

BTFO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zx2man

Ready to race!

No doubt stock vs stock 3.8 Genesis is faster car. But a GTI can run faster than 14.5 stock as well. Rwd vs fwd, more practice and you would have gotten it down. Totally different car too. V6 rwd sports car vs turbo 4 hatch.
I like the lines of the Genesis. Just like the Z car, you can bury money into exhaust n tune, stil lopsided vs the gains on the mk7.

Guess thats my one stink I have with a "genny" or 370z.. SLEEK looking no doubt, compliments im sure. But vs anyone with decent hp and your getting your handed to ya. I miss the old school japanese rwd coupes like the supra where it looked fast and was fast and the tunability was crazy.

But you owned it, so ofcourse you will be partial to the car. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either. The gti flies under the radar, I actually like that.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
While the 3.8 may sound good on paper, not so much in real life.

My friend had a 3.8 when they just came out, then he switched to a mk6 GTI and told me he likes the mk6 better and the gen coupe wasn't that impressive. Note that neither of us are biased on VW.

Last edited: