GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 GTI S Chirping Noise

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

My car is at the dealership for the chirping (bearing?) problem. They haven't been able to reproduce the sound so they're trying to keep it overnight to check it cold.

Since my chirping isn't consistent... Do you guys know how I can advise the tech to reproduce the sound?

My chirping noise is loudest after the engine reaches operating temp (oil temp 185+) THEN cools off to around oil temp 120-150.

When I start it in this mid temp range, it sounds exactly like the video in Monolith's post #3 until warmed up again.

Also, there's always a slight chirp (only audible with windows down) when turning left.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Looks like my 2015 Golf 1.8t is starting to make this same noise. I’m at 52k and will be trying to contact a dealer soon to see if it’s under warranty still. First time in my automotive finagling that a crank pulley and seal wear out after 50k?!

Jarbear

Ready to race!
My chirping noise is loudest after the engine reaches operating temp (oil temp 185+) THEN cools off to around oil temp 120-150.

When I start it in this mid temp range, it sounds exactly like the video in Monolith's post #3 until warmed up again.

Also, there's always a slight chirp (only audible with windows down) when turning left.

This is exactly how my car would start chirping at around 1.5k miles (IIRC). Dealer replaced some things. Noise came back, albeit less aggressive, but under the same conditions.

That being said, Over a year and a half later and now at 10k miles, the noise has not reemerged.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Called the local dealership that has the better reviews, Linden VW; apparently the harmonic balancer wouldn’t be covered under the power train warranty.

Guess I’ll order the crank seal soon and pull it off to see what’s happening. I don’t see oil seeping there, just everywhere else in the engine bay (valve cover, oil cap, turbo). Still don’t see how it can only momentarily make that noise. If it’s just dry, hopefully some high temp grease can quiet it down for a while.

Vertigo

Same problem here 2017 GTI Sport. I noticed the noise when I first got my car new but it wasn't consistent enough to warrant dealing with the dealership. Though it's gotten progressively worse and will be scheduling an appointment.

In summary, it sounds like I need the harmonic balancer, crankshaft pulley, damper, screw and sealer replaced. Am I missing anything? I want to equip myself with as much information as possible so they don't try to give me the runaround or blame my mods.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I checked my alternator pulley and it seems fubar’d. Able to spin both ways and tons of grease behind the dust cap. Ordered a gates replacement unit off Amazon and will replace it Saturday. Will post up any results

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Same problem here 2017 GTI Sport. I noticed the noise when I first got my car new but it wasn't consistent enough to warrant dealing with the dealership. Though it's gotten progressively worse and will be scheduling an appointment.

In summary, it sounds like I need the harmonic balancer, crankshaft pulley, damper, screw and sealer replaced. Am I missing anything? I want to equip myself with as much information as possible so they don't try to give me the runaround or blame my mods.

The crank pulley and the damper are the same part, just two names for the same thing. Literally it's a physical pulley that bolts to the end of the crankshaft, but also made of rubber so it dampens some of the engine harmonics (sound & vibration) by absorbing it.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
That’s the OEM pulley, replaced it with a Gates unit and a new VW belt, so hopefully noise will be gone

Attachments

• 3CFE9833-31EC-4C19-BF78-B3CF708D2DAC.jpeg
    3CFE9833-31EC-4C19-BF78-B3CF708D2DAC.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 411

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
Still chirping, gonna unplug the electric steering motor, as some have said their rack was the cause of a chirping noise as well and then pull the harmonic balancer and check for wear/rub.

I’m starting to hate this car... trade in time soon

allan1229

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Mine is starting to drive me crazy. Notice it happens when turning left too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
So I’m able to reproduce this noise at low speeds when turning left; no noise going right and slight noise I can’t always reproduce at idle but that’s probably still got to do with the steering rack

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
The pulley and seal will always need to be replaced to fix this squeak. I apply some high temp lithium to the seal before i install the new pulley. Fixed about 5-6 cars and non have come back. Sticking the pulley in dry will eventually cause to squeak again.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
The pulley and seal will always need to be replaced to fix this squeak. I apply some high temp lithium to the seal before i install the new pulley. Fixed about 5-6 cars and non have come back. Sticking the pulley in dry will eventually cause to squeak again.
Any tips on getting the seal out without replacing the whole cover? I destroyed the seal taking it out but I think there is some obscure tool for it I could never find.

Do you think the lithium grease will stay put over time? This gives some hope, I really want to throw one on my R, but my experience with my GTI wasn't great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Any tips on getting the seal out without replacing the whole cover? I destroyed the seal taking it out but I think there is some obscure tool for it I could never find.

Do you think the lithium grease will stay put over time? This gives some hope, I really want to throw one on my R, but my experience with my GTI wasn't great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yea usually I just yank the old one out, apply a bit of grease on the outside of the seal as well, push the seal in the in as much as you can by hand and use a soft rubber mallet and tap the seal in. Just make the sure the seal is in the all the way and you should be ok. There is a factory style tool, which is optional for dealers so most dealers may not have it unless a tech has requested it or the foreman has ordered it

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I still can’t understand why the pulley would have to be replaced, how can that go bad?

Seal and grease sounds logical for sure, but why would this noise be exacerbated when turning left at low speeds?