GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me in or out of a JB4 unit for an IS20 swap.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Can you show us a log? Can't say that I've seen one and would be interested to see what kind of boost settings are used.

Here is one with some E20 and meth. The user roll races a lot so the torque is high on this.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I get the same response from mustangs and anything with a hemi in it. Lol. For some reason, nobody likes being beaten by a VW Wagon. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be pretty sore losing a drag race to a VW wagon lol

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
I'd be pretty sore losing a drag race to a VW wagon lol

I think the part that confuses them the most is the lack of expected tire spin in my car. It gives the impression that it isn't fast so they try again a couple times before they just give up. Lol. No one expects awd from the wagon.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
How is the transient response over the is20? Is it noticeably more laggy to a point where anyone would care?

On the GTI its a couple of rpm slower to spool. On a Auto it might be more felt though due to the long legs.
There are a few guys on the other thread running it so best bet is to ask there.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
In my Alltrack Owner FaceBook Group, there is a man who claimed his DSG Alltrack with is38 run 1/4 mile in 13.8s. This is the video https://youtu.be/OY6sf9hhiug

My question is: is that seem slow for is38? Some one in this thread mention he/she ran high 13s with only is20, so I expect the is38 should run between low-high 12s.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 598

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
In my Alltrack Owner FaceBook Group, there is a man who claimed his DSG Alltrack with is38 run 1/4 mile in 13.8s. This is the video https://youtu.be/OY6sf9hhiug

My question is: is that seem slow for is38? Some one in this thread mention he/she ran high 13s with only is20, so I expect the is38 should run between low-high 12s.

APR tuned as well. Wonder what tune? If it is the new tune for the IS38 then yes that was slow. Should definitely be low 12's. that was me in this thread and it was a 13.464. Time slip posted in the 1/4 mile thread. IS20 and JB4 only.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
APR tuned as well. Wonder what tune? If it is the new tune for the IS38 then yes that was slow. Should definitely be low 12's. that was me in this thread and it was a 13.464. Time slip posted in the 1/4 mile thread. IS20 and JB4 only.

I will say that it also depends on what altitude the track is that he was on. Higher altitude's will make the car slower. I am at sea level where I live. His altitude would have to be pretty high though to drop 1.5 seconds though.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
His trap is low too. Not too impressive for APR. There standard golf stage 1 time has run the same. A stage 2 has gone quicker and faster on the IS12. Is the IS38 too big for the 1.8?

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
His trap is low too. Not too impressive for APR. There standard golf stage 1 time has run the same. A stage 2 has gone quicker and faster on the IS12. Is the IS38 too big for the 1.8?

I am not 100% sure, but from what I memorized from the FB, the DSG runs not really aggressive, somewhat conservative, maybe he doesn't get TCU tuned yet, and he also mentions he has some baby stuffs in the car (child seat, baby roller...etc)

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
I am not 100% sure, but from what I memorized from the FB, the DSG runs not really aggressive, somewhat conservative, maybe he doesn't get TCU tuned yet, and he also mentions he has some baby stuffs in the car (child seat, baby roller...etc)

My DSG is plenty aggressive in sport mode without a tune but you need to be in sport mode. Manual mode left to shift on its own added 4 tenths on my ET and leaving it in drive would be worse. Also have to use launch control as well. My wagon is a S trim which is the lightest trim. If he is an SE or SEL then that would add some weight, especially with the sun roof and It appears that he didn't use launch control for starters.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

I'm really just surprised by the trap speed. I commented on the YouTube post and he told me he has stuff in it. I daily mine with two britax boulevards, so I know what he means. Even with that, my pano sunroof, and my stock downpipe in the trunk, I still started to pull on a golf R and an Evo. I'm just an IS12. I'm still thinking that the IS20 is the sweet spot for the 1.8 unless you are going for a built car with high boost.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Mid 13's with an IS20 should be expected, so high 13's with an IS38 is definitely slow, expecially at only 101 mph. How long ago was the car tuned? Sometimes the ECU will take time to adjust properly for full power in all conditions. And, as mentioned above, it's possible that a TCU tune would also help.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

It depends, does anyone know the conditions? Elevation, temperature, humidity can make a tremendous difference. Educate yourselves about Density Altitude: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/1123242-can-some-explain-density-altitude-me.html