GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Direct Acceleration tweak via Vag-com.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Ya, I've had it "stock" for two weeks now. Notice zero difference in throttle response, to be honest.

I am on stage II APR with 6mt, and I get a lot of lag\delay when accelerating maybe 1\2 throttle, I am talking about a noticeable amount, at least 3 seconds delay. Basically the car accelerates slowly and then at around 3500k is almost as i went FT. Would be great if this would get rid of that and keep it consistent

Raegar

Ready to race!
For the people that are saying, after going back to stock setting I noticed no difference...

It's highly likely that changing between stock setting and 'other' setting changes the values in a database from X (data points populated based on your driving over a set amount of time) to Y (static data point points) therefore change is more obvious. It could also explain why some people see more change than others... For those that see more change, difference between X and Y points is larger than those that see less where change is less.

And so when you go back to stock, on that database, those Y static points needs a certain amount of time to get repopulated back with X data points based on your driving

Obviously all this is speculation, but I suspect most settings in an ECU are driven by either hardcoded/calculated values or ones that are stored in a database (which are changeable based on conditions - in this case, driver conditioning)

Hotfart

Ready to race!
For those with 6MT, there's an easy way to see the difference in how it reacts. Of course this is just my experience, and YMMV. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability, so bear with me.

Pretend you are staging at the drag races. Without the change enabled, try revving from idle to 3K, and try to hold it as close to 3K as possible (as if you're getting ready to launch, waiting for the tree lights to change). The revs will quickly rise, but when it approaches 3K, it will keep slowly creeping up. You have to hunt around a bit with the pedal to find the sweet spot in order to hold it at a certain RPM, and this can take a few seconds.

With the change enabled, you can quickly and easily go from idle straight to 3K without overshooting, and hold it there pretty rock steady with far less hunting around with the pedal. To me, it's quite a bit more direct and intuitive.

Again, just my experience, but I encourage you to try it out. It may give you a better idea of how the pedal reacts with the mod enabled.

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
For those with 6MT, there's an easy way to see the difference in how it reacts. Of course this is just my experience, and YMMV. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability, so bear with me.

Pretend you are staging at the drag races. Without the change enabled, try revving from idle to 3K, and try to hold it as close to 3K as possible (as if you're getting ready to launch, waiting for the tree lights to change). The revs will quickly rise, but when it approaches 3K, it will keep slowly creeping up. You have to hunt around a bit with the pedal to find the sweet spot in order to hold it at a certain RPM, and this can take a few seconds.

With the change enabled, you can quickly and easily go from idle straight to 3K without overshooting, and hold it there pretty rock steady with far less hunting around with the pedal. To me, it's quite a bit more direct and intuitive.

Again, just my experience, but I encourage you to try it out. It may give you a better idea of how the pedal reacts with the mod enabled.

When I was first reading this I thought.... hmmm no way...

But I just pulled into my driveway and revd up to 3k RPM.... it did take a lot longer and a lot of fine tuning with the pedal to get to and hold at 3k RPM.

I did the switch to direct and what do you know, it was easier to find 3k and hold it!

So it does work. You’ve made me a believer! I guess I just gotta be careful not to mash my foot for the MPGs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I did the switch to direct and what do you know, it was easier to find 3k and hold it!

So it does work. You’ve made me a believer! I guess I just gotta be careful not to mash my foot for the MPGs!

Glad it worked! I really didn't notice any appreciable change to my mileage, once averaging it out after a couple tanks. Maybe, maybe I'm down like half an MPG, but it's really hard to say, with using very slightly different ethanol blends, changing weather, how much city driving I'm doing, my driving moods, the alignment of the planets, etc etc. Regardless, I feel the possible tiny hit in mileage is definitely worth it.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I am kinda cross posting here, but I got my car back after two service appointments at a dealer and one at a generic tire-shop. I highly suspect my car now has this throttle setting (along with the warm-weather setting for the AC). I didn't ask for either change.

I definitely notice a difference in throttle tip in and boost response. What really tipped me off is a decrease in gas mileage - especially on the highway. Used to be able to average an indicated 34mpg during my commute - Now it's around 31mpg. That's what made me start to pay closer attention to what was going on.

I used to be able to hold the throttle just under boost, around 1/3 of the throttle pedals travel. After that initial 1/3rd it was all Jekyll and Hyde and the car would accelerate hard. Now the throttle is very linear and the motor slides into boost at will. Fun I suppose, but I miss my MPG's.

I can't prove I have this mod, but to me it sounds like I do. Especially seeing as my AC is now much stronger - someone had to have made some changes. Looking into this throttle/boost 'problem' is what brought me here.

Are these now default settings that shops are applying? ;)

'16 GTI DSG S.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I am kinda cross posting here, but I got my car back after two service appointments at a dealer and one at a generic tire-shop. I highly suspect my car now has this throttle setting (along with the warm-weather setting for the AC). I didn't ask for either change.

I definitely notice a difference in throttle tip in and boost response. What really tipped me off is a decrease in gas mileage - especially on the highway. Used to be able to average an indicated 34mpg during my commute - Now it's around 31mpg. That's what made me start to pay closer attention to what was going on.

I used to be able to hold the throttle just under boost, around 1/3 of the throttle pedals travel. After that initial 1/3rd it was all Jekyll and Hyde and the car would accelerate hard. Now the throttle is very linear and the motor slides into boost at will. Fun I suppose, but I miss my MPG's.

I can't prove I have this mod, but to me it sounds like I do. Especially seeing as my AC is now much stronger - someone had to have made some changes. Looking into this throttle/boost 'problem' is what brought me here.

Are these now default settings that shops are applying? ;)

'16 GTI DSG S.

Huh.. wonder why this tweak seems to be causing mpg drops.

I have an average of 28-29mpg on refuels according to the display, I do kinda remember having a higher reading of 31+ mpg a year ago but I wasn't tuned at the time and I didn't have this tweak enabled. Are the readings accurate? Or did I start driving like an idiot when I got tuned and did this tweak...

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Huh.. wonder why this tweak seems to be causing mpg drops.

I'm a Fuelly nut, so I have a lot of data to compare to. ;) I need to get some recent fill-up's added... but I can post a link to my page when its updated.

My guess with the mileage is that my car slides right from vacuum to boost real easy. Like I mentioned, I used to be able to get the motor to hang just under boost. I used to make a game of it on one particular hill during my boring commute... Now the car just goes right past that point and into boost. (I have the 'sport' gauges in my '16, so I just have that up on the display)

I actually wondered if I had a boost leak or stuck diverter, something like that... but I'm sure I'd get a code for something that bad. This throttle tweak is the only thing that makes sense. But before I get too far I should get with someone who can scan my car and confirm my suspicions.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I did the tweak too since I had credits used the pre coded one if that makes any difference. I have a 2016 APR stage II, and it does seem to help a bit, like the post above. I mean there was a big lag before the boost would kick in, now it is a bit more direct... don't get me wrong the lag is still there but is a bit less.

AT WOT I feel no difference... The tweak is felt more during 1/2 throttle conditions.

Update after driving another 30 or so mile. Acceleration seems a lot more linear now. My tires don't spin as easily as a result. Before it seems boost would just build up and then the care would accelerate suddenly. I am liking how this feels a lot better.

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
For those with 6MT, there's an easy way to see the difference in how it reacts... try revving from idle to 3K, and try to hold it as close to 3K as possible (as if you're getting ready to launch, waiting for the tree lights to change). The revs will quickly rise, but when it approaches 3K, it will keep slowly creeping up. You have to hunt around a bit with the pedal to find the sweet spot in order to hold it at a certain RPM, and this can take a few seconds.

So you dont think this test would work with a DSG? I guess I could just try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I did this with the Carista app yesterday. I definitely felt a difference in the throttle. It picks up faster now. I don’t know why they don’t have this on stock?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I am really liking this mod. I seem to have a lot more power with less acceleration. Power delivery is is much more predictable.
Just not sure if mods matter, this is on APR stage II