GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running an aftermarket DP without a gasket?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Title, thanks

Why should anyone run any DP without gasket? You definitely neither want hot gasses leaking nor getting a CEL.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I ran mine all last year without a gasket and just realized it was missing. My stock DP right now doesn't even have one. Dealership hasn't gotten back to me.

I was asking because I had no noticeable leaks all last year and in going to switch back I noticed it wasn't there.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
So typically me and my best friend do all the work on our cars but now between work and his new kid shop time is hard to come by. I had my downpipe installed by a local VW tuning shop but it was rubbing against a bolt holding a heat shield onto the subframe. Yesterday we were at the shop mounting some tires so we figured we'd address the downpipe as well. We had it all the way off and reinstalled and there wasn't a gasket there which means it was never there for the 3 months I've had the downpipe and it's never leaked. I didn't even know v band exhaust even used a gasket until just now.

Perry01

Ready to race!
Gasket where? At the turbo? I just installed an UR DP and there was no gasket at the turbo. Just at the resonator.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Gasket where? At the turbo? I just installed an UR DP and there was no gasket at the turbo. Just at the resonator.

Yes, at the turbo. Part# 5Q0 253 115 B for stock dp. AWE included a new one with my DP. Looks like so:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I reused existing gasket as car only had 1500 miles on it. It sealed fine.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

Ok I am EXACTLY the same. I use a UR downpipe and my car had no gasket before then! So there is no need for one I guess?
The reason for this thread is because I assumed that some cars did not have gaskets or something?

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I think the important thing is to make sure that the v band clamp is on nice and tight. I recently got a CEL and when I pulled the code, it was P0420. I have a Neuspeed catted downpipe which guarantees no CEL so I knew something was up. Sure enough, my v band clamp had come loose causing the CEL. I went ahead and just bought a new v band clamp from the dealer, just in case, and made sure it was on there tight.

Perry01

Ready to race!
Ok I am EXACTLY the same. I use a UR downpipe and my car had no gasket before then! So there is no need for one I guess?
The reason for this thread is because I assumed that some cars did not have gaskets or something?

Hmm, I didn't see any gasket when removing the stock DP but I still have it sitting in my garage. I'll take a look to see if it is still attached to the stock DP. Maybe it was stuck on the turbo side?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I didn't see a gasket an the stock DP when I installed my new one. Might have missed it though. The new DP didn't come with a gasket. I don't think it's needed on the Bull-X DP's since the flange is machined to fit against the turbo.

Perry01

Ready to race!
I didn't see a gasket an the stock DP when I installed my new one. Might have missed it though. The new DP didn't come with a gasket. I don't think it's needed on the Bull-X DP's since the flange is machined to fit against the turbo.

Pretty flat flange on the UR as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4792.JPG
    IMG_4792.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,353

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Was no gasket on mine when I took stock Downpipe off

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
The gasket can easily be missed on the stock downpipe. Sometimes it seats itself in far enough down that you would think it is actually just part of it. Either way, you should use one to help keep the exhaust gases where they belong. Even if you don't smell the fumes, you might be breathing it all in every time you come to a stop.

Edit: I don't remember if the gasket got stuck on the turbo side or DP side when I did my downpipe last year, but I initially missed it and went back looking for it because i knew there should be one there.