GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had a real fix from a dealership on the rattling/creaking sunroof and/or the h

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone have sunroof rattles from the front? Most posts that I have read are regarding the rear lip.

My sunroof has a rattle above the console, sounds like sunglasses rattling in the compartment. I removed the entire console, lights, etc, and it still rattles. I can make it stop by opening the roof in either position, or by pushing up on the glass (front) with extreme pressure when it's closed.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have sunroof rattles from the front? Most posts that I have read are regarding the rear lip.

My sunroof has a rattle above the console, sounds like sunglasses rattling in the compartment. I removed the entire console, lights, etc, and it still rattles. I can make it stop by opening the roof in either position, or by pushing up on the glass (front) with extreme pressure when it's closed.

That's interesting. I personally don't have that, mine seems to come only from the rear seal and primarily on the corners (I assume). The rattle on mine is bad when it's very cold out (10-20 degrees) but the creak over uneven surfaces is the most annoying. It's like the sunroof is a pivot point for the car.

cbass99

Just had mine in for the creaky sunroof. Apparently there is a New TSB procedure that addresses the plastic piece that the sunroof seal rubs on. Should have it back in shortly when the parts arrive.

The parts came in yesterday, so i dropped the car off this morning. I had the service adviser show me what parts showed up under the TSB. Turns out they got 2 sheets of PPF material.

wallstreet1234561

Passed Driver's Ed
The parts came in yesterday, so i dropped the car off this morning. I had the service adviser show me what parts showed up under the TSB. Turns out they got 2 sheets of PPF material.
Do you know the TSB number, I would like to go to my dealer with that information rather than them telling me there is no TSB.

Thanks in advance.

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
Funny, in close to 4000 miles, I haven't had a sound out of my sunroof, but earlier today suddenly it started vibrating like crazy. Maybe it was the music I was listening to, which wasn't particularly loud, but it was really annoying and seemed to be coming from the center somewhere. (This is in a GSW with the double roof, so the back of the oveabke section) I tried reaching up there to touch various pieces and nothing seemed to reliably make it stop.

cbass99

I'd like that for reference as well please!

Sorry, this is all i have. I actually thought the TSB number would be on the paperwork somewhere. FWIW the sunroof was quiet today. We'll see if it lasts.

themagicpacket

Passed Driver's Ed
come on guys, read the thread comments. lube the rear sunroof weatherstripping with some sil glyde. You can pick some up from Napa for $14.00

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651346

This will fix the rattling and creaking when going over uneven surfaces or crappy roads. I had the same issue you all are complaining about. I had the "rattling" sound from the center console. This fixed the issue. Car is silent now.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
come on guys, read the thread comments. lube the rear sunroof weatherstripping with some sil glyde. You can pick some up from Napa for $14.00

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651346

This will fix the rattling and creaking when going over uneven surfaces or crappy roads. I had the same issue you all are complaining about. I had the "rattling" sound from the center console. This fixed the issue. Car is silent now.

Come on guy, read what's been posted. I've tried all sorts of lubricant and it helps for about 5 minutes if that.

themagicpacket

Passed Driver's Ed
Come on guy, read what's been posted. I've tried all sorts of lubricant and it helps for about 5 minutes if that.

Don't be a condescending ass. My post wasn't specifically aimed towards you. Gummi Pledge will not work for the sunroof rattling/creaking. If you use what I posted, it will resolve the creaking/rattling sounds. Make sure to get the teeth as well.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't be a condescending ass. My post wasn't specifically aimed towards you. Gummi Pledge will not work for the sunroof rattling/creaking. If you use what I posted, it will resolve the creaking/rattling sounds. Make sure to get the teeth as well.

My apologies, your post seemed a bit condescending as well. I don't doubt that other lubricants will help, but I do know that there are moving parts rattling and that can't be helped with a lubricant. And in climates like MN, I don't know that any lubricant can help when it's -30.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Fact is, you made a single post in this thread saying you tried Gummi and it didn't work. You said nothing about any other lubricant whatsoever. So for you to say "I've tried all sorts of lubricant" is false as far as anyone here can tell.

Silicon lubricant applied by the dealership fixed my wife's 2015 sunroof 2 years ago. We have yet to hear it creak or rattle again since when closed.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Well I got my GTI back from the dealer yesterday.

The first attempt, the tech applied the "slickum tape" to the wrong part of the sunroof assembly. The slickum tape is intended to be placed on the rear edge of the sunroof opening in the roof where the painted metal meets the rear edge gasket. The tech originally applied it to some frame work in the sunroof mechanism.

The second attempt, they placed the slickum tape in the correct area. It reduced the creaking alittle bit, but it still makes noise on big imperfections in the road that cause body movement.

I am going to remove the tape and just lubricate the rear edge seal as several others have had luck with. Tired of driving Jettas and Passats. They suck.