GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not sure I would call it less than a stage 1 tune as it has been shown to have gains and runs that rival stage 2 tunes.

:confused: According to APRs website the gains from Stage I low 91 are 63hp and 81tq and their Stage I 91 gains are 78hp and 105tq.

ReflexGTI1

Ready to race!
Just finished installing the JB4 upgrade. Went well and was easy. I'm super OCD about wires so I was working on it for about 90 minutes total. I'm coming from JB1 map 6, peaking at 5.4 as I have access to 98RON, cold temps, and supporting mods.

Set the JB4 to map 2 and took her out for a spin.. literally spin. Even at 5.4 I couldn't trigger the ESC at WOT in third. First good pull with the JB4 map 2 sent the ESC flashing.. So, at least in third, it's making more power. I'm certain there's increases throughout as well.

Tomorrow I will do some logs and sent to George for analysis.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
:confused: According to APRs website the gains from Stage I low 91 are 63hp and 81tq and their Stage I 91 gains are 78hp and 105tq.

Remember those are crank numbers. Whp numbers are similar to JB4

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Just finished installing the JB4 upgrade. Went well and was easy. I'm super OCD about wires so I was working on it for about 90 minutes total. I'm coming from JB1 map 6, peaking at 5.4 as I have access to 98RON, cold temps, and supporting mods.

Set the JB4 to map 2 and took her out for a spin.. literally spin. Even at 5.4 I couldn't trigger the ESC at WOT in third. First good pull with the JB4 map 2 sent the ESC flashing.. So, at least in third, it's making more power. I'm certain there's increases throughout as well.

Tomorrow I will do some logs and sent to George for analysis.

Great to hear! Make those tires scream ;)

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Remember those are crank numbers. Whp numbers are similar to JB4

JB4
Map 1 will yield the advertised 35whp and 40ft lbs on 91 on a stock car, Map 2 yields 48whp and 60ft lbs on 91 on a stock car.

APRs numbers

Stage I low CHP

57hp
64tq

Stage I low WHP

49hp
56tq

Stage I low Gain over stock

63hp
81tq

JB4 map 1 numbers are lower then all of APRs low gain numbers. JB4 map 2 is a different story and is close enough to APRs low gain number to be the same, Yes?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Go look at actual dyno charts with whp and torque. Not the advertised crank numbers. BMS lists the basic map 1 on a stock car as the gain. Realistically it depends on your other mods and what you do with map 6. Some guys are making stage 2 numbers

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Also, unlike a flash tune, you can control your boost level by gear and by rpm. You can still make the hp, but leave the bottom soft enough to save your clutch.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Go look at actual dyno charts with whp and torque. Not the advertised crank numbers. BMS lists the basic map 1 on a stock car as the gain. Realistically it depends on your other mods and what you do with map 6. Some guys are making stage 2 numbers

Yeah I know. I'm trying to decide if the power my GTI has currently is enough for where I live as there is nowhere to really open it up. We have 6 police forces for a population of 400,000 people. Cops are occupy every 'fun' zone on the highways. All the fun around here is to be had with on ramps, clover leaf off ramps, and back country roads.

So if I go JB1/4 that will be the end of it as I don't want my clutch to slip. If I remain stock I will get a DP and intake and leave it at that.

Just trying to get all the info I can before I spend the money on either or.

It's unlikely that I will go JB1/4 with bolt ons because that will without a doubt push me to clutch slipping numbers. Ugh.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Also, unlike a flash tune, you can control your boost level by gear and by rpm. You can still make the hp, but leave the bottom soft enough to save your clutch.

...and this is my attraction to BMS, unfortunately I don't understand the tuning aspect ability of the BMS to use it safely.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

My car is currently bone stock.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
...and this is my attraction to BMS, unfortunately I don't understand the tuning aspect ability of the BMS to use it safely.

We offer direct assistance with this so even if you do not understand what is going on we can help you set up a map that is suitable for your needs. You sound like something conservative torque wise with gains at high rpm will be good.

gameaud

Ready to race!

I have this same issue..I have no idea what everyone in this thread is talking about haha, but I really want to learn more about tuning and have more power in my GTI while preserving my clutch for at least 10k miles.. Anyone know where is a good place to start to learn? I Don't want to ask George a million questions... Or should I just stick with JB1 with its stock map, install it, and forget about it lol.

Last edited:

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I have this same issue..I have no idea what everyone in this thread is talking about haha, but I really want to learn more about tuning and have more power in my GTI while preserving my clutch for at least 10k miles.. Anyone know where is a good place to start to learn? I Don't want to ask George a million questions... Or should I just stick with JB1 with its stock map, install it, and forget about it lol.

Right here. Lol. I've learned a tone since 4am PST (West Coast) go back about three or four pages, I probably have a lot of the same questions as you and the guys here have been ridiculously helpful. To the point that BMS is the way I'm going to go.

The customer service from George and all the time he has put in reading peoples maps and numbers and guiding them is above and beyond anything I've ever seen. Two thumbs up.