GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Tuning Website Updated

rscott4563

Ready to race!
Tuner said the dyno read low like a mustang dyno. 10-15% lower than Dynojets.

The peak hp and tq only gained a little, but the curve around peaks gain able 30 whp\wtq.

Sorry maybe I'm reading the graph incorrectly but the orange line is the Cobb OTS 3 and the blue is the Pro-Tune right?

Based on the resolution of the graph and the difference in line type widths there is no way to confirm there is any difference between the two nevermind a 30whp difference. The whp line of the Cobb OTS map can't even be seen as it's directly below the Pro-Tune line i.e. identical.

If I'm reading it wrong please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Sorry maybe I'm reading the graph incorrectly but the orange line is the Cobb OTS 3 and the blue is the Pro-Tune right?...

Blue lines are the Cobb OTS, the orange and magenta(?) colors are the pro-tune lines.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
If the blue is indeed Cobb OTS and Pink/Orange is the protune, I see very little change?

In some spots there is a bit of a bump but for the most part its pretty identical. Did the tuner mention what he did to achieve this? Maybe less boost more timing etc etc?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If the blue is indeed Cobb OTS and Pink/Orange is the protune, I see very little change?

In some spots there is a bit of a bump but for the most part its pretty identical. Did the tuner mention what he did to achieve this? Maybe less boost more timing etc etc?

A bump? From 3k to 5k there is a decent spread between the 2. I assure you that you could feel that if you drove them back to back.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
A bump? From 3k to 5k there is a decent spread between the 2. I assure you that you could feel that if you drove them back to back.

Maybe that's good for Cobb OTS vs say a custom OTS but for a protune? Most pro tunes around my parts are $500.00. I honestly would be expecting a bit more?

Wouldn't the free MAP stage 1 be comparable to this protune?

IMO of course.

Last edited:

jcruz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk8 Golf R
I think some of the benefits will also come from the things we can necessarily see on the dyno such as the over all "health" of the car with the tune. Protuning should be able to dial things in a little better then etunes . It would be nice to see back to back logs on a car with Cobb ots, map stage 1, and a protune. Just my thoughts , could be wrong .

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I think some of the benefits will also come from the things we can necessarily see on the dyno such as the over all "health" of the car with the tune. Protuning should be able to dial things in a little better then etunes . It would be nice to see back to back logs on a car with Cobb ots, map stage 1, and a protune. Just my thoughts , could be wrong .

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not to question the tuner directly, but that would be under the assumption timing was changed vs the OTS MAP and such right?

Which is why i originally asked to know what the tuner did. It's not hard to bump the boost to get the similar gains here.

But if the tuner lowered boost upped timing to create a "better" tune while using less turbo. Than i agree great job overall. But if it's add x amount of boost in the RPM range to achieve the same.thing than i would question it a bit.

I say this because it seems whenever a "protune" is done the tuner gets the benefit of the doubt it most cases. I'm not attacking this particular tuner just curious as what was done to get this marginal gains for the price paid.

I just like to question what is put infront of me to have a more educated perspective on things is all. Sorry if this comes off as anything else. Just wanna learn this whole "tuning" dynamic and expectations for a "protune" as it is a decent investment and trust put into the tuner and tune.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Maybe that's good for Cobb OTS vs say a custom OTS but for a protune? Most pro tunes around my parts are $500.00. I honestly would be expecting a bit more?

IMO of course.

Cost/benefit is certainly a consideration one must consider (Cost was not posted). Some people buy $400 intakes that wouldn't even come close to showing this kind of gain.

Would MAP be comparable? Who knows. Unless that same car got that MAP tune and went back to the same dyno we have no idea. Can't compare different cars on different dynos.

Also, the owner requested that the tune not shoot for the moon to save his clutch. Perhaps there is even more in there?

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Cost/benefit is certainly a consideration one must consider (Cost was not posted). Some people buy $400 intakes that wouldn't even come close to showing this kind of gain.

Would MAP be comparable? Who knows. Unless that same car got that MAP tune and went back to the same dyno we have no idea. Can't compare different cars on different dynos.

Also, the owner requested that the tune not shoot for the moon to save his clutch. Perhaps there is even more in there?

Normally you wouldn't be able to compare. But since both were measured against the cobb OTS on their respective dyno's a comparison between gains obtained can be done. Still not 100% (cause stage 1 vs stage 2) but it is usable to an extent for this purpose i'd say.

Last edited:

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Just got my car pro tuned. Requested the tuner to go easy on the torque since I m not ready for new clutch yet. Car feels a lot quicker and smoother now than the cobb tune. This is with CA91 gas...first run on chart is baseline for cobb ots stg3, last one is final result.

Mod: cts downpipe, cts bov, awe downpipe, arp ic

IMO of course.
The guy that posted this dyno (GoGoMK7) specifically asked the tuner to go easy. I'm sure the tuner could have gotten a lot more hp/torque but that's not what the vehicle owner wanted. Look at the hp and torque at 4k rpm. The difference between this pro-tune and the OTS tune is approximately 25-30 hp/torque. Compared to the OTS tune, this is still a very nice tune for someone that doesn't want to go all out and wants a somewhat conservative tune that gives you nice power through the powerband.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
The guy that posted this dyno (GoGoMK7) specifically asked the tuner to go easy. I'm sure the tuner could have gotten a lot more hp/torque but that's not what the vehicle owner wanted. Look at the hp and torque at 4k rpm. The difference between this pro-tune and the OTS tune is approximately 25-30 hp/torque. Compared to the OTS tune, this is still a very nice tune for someone that doesn't want to go all out and wants a somewhat conservative tune that gives you nice power through the powerband.

I understand that point. But if this was the fundamental requirement for the tune, to save the clutch, wouldn't it make sense to then shift the torque curve over to the higher RPM'S. Instead of leaving the spike in place? Similar to how the JB4 guys are setting up their MAP6

The tune peaks all torque 2.5k - 3.5k @ around 380 WTQ (adjusted to dyno jet numbers as per lower reading dyno claim). That isn't saving any clutch anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong i do see the increases over the OTS in the range but i dunno, maybe I'm just picky about this stuff or a complete idiot to question these things. I'm just having trouble seeing the value of the protune without seeing what was really done i guess. logs FTW!!

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I see what your saying RoidRage. We really won't know what the dealer did to achieve the bumps where they did or why they didn't do more to shift the torque curve. It is what it is, and the fact that the owner requested a low output tune (which I wouldn't have wasted the money on a protune but what ever) muddies it even more.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I understand that point. But if this was the fundamental requirement for the tune, to save the clutch, wouldn't it make sense to then shift the torque curve over to the higher RPM'S. Instead of leaving the spike in place? Similar to how the JB4 guys are setting up their MAP6

The tune peaks all torque 2.5k - 3.5k @ around 380 WTQ (adjusted to dyno jet numbers as per lower reading dyno claim). That isn't saving any clutch anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong i do see the increases over the OTS in the range but i dunno, maybe I'm just picky about this stuff or a complete idiot to question these things. I'm just having trouble seeing the value of the protune without seeing what was really done i guess. logs FTW!!

Just got my car pro tuned. Requested the tuner to go easy on the torque since I m not ready for new clutch yet. Car feels a lot quicker and smoother now than the cobb tune. This is with CA91 gas...first run on chart is baseline for cobb ots stg3, last one is final result.

Mod: cts downpipe, cts bov, awe downpipe, arp ic

I see what you are saying. Without seeing the logs or getting input from the tuner, we'll never know why he didn't shift the torque curve over to the higher rpm's. But if you compare his tune to the MAP stage 1 tune, you can see that there isn't as much of a spike as the MAP tune. It does seem to be a more gentle (I don't know how else to describe it lol) torque spike. In any case, that's what GoGoMK7 paid for and he's happy with the results so that's all that really matters. I wouldn't mind having that tune just to be able to compare it to MAP's tune.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Protuning is new here and just wanna say not all tuners and tunes are the same. Question what you get and what you pay for.

Don't be a blind sheep and be sure you know what is being done to your car and that your requests are truly taken into consideration.

The following video illustrates my point. Please don't take this as an attack or negativity towards the above tuner. This is is no way attacking or questioning the tuner directly. I've just seen a lot of bad tunes on Hondas and subies.

The Ford forums have many people familiar with the tuning through cobb & their options of Adam, Freek, Stratified etc and they are the standard over there. It's still very new here while tuners get adjusted to our stuff, just be weary of what you are getting for your money. Being "happy" doesn't by nature you mean you didn't bent over & taken advantage of for your $$. We've relied so long on good OTS tunes from Uni, Revo, APR it seems people aren't even questioning what they are getting anymore through this new platform. /Rant LOL

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WMBOYh2w_f0

Last edited:

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Protuning is new here and just wanna say not all tuners and tunes are the same. Question what you get and what you pay for.

Don't be a blind sheep and be sure you know what is being done to your car and that your requests are truly taken into consideration.

The following video illustrates my point. Please don't take this as an attack or negativity towards the above tuner. This is is no way attacking or questioning the tuner directly. I've just seen a lot of bad tunes on Hondas and subies.

The Ford forums have many people familiar with the tuning through cobb & their options of Adam, Freek, Stratified etc and they are the standard over there. It's still very new here while tuners get adjusted to our stuff, just be weary of what you are getting for your money. Being "happy" doesn't by nature you mean you didn't bent over for your hard earned dollars. My crappy 2 cents.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WMBOYh2w_f0
This is the reason I am going to wait to get protuned and see who in my area is doing it well before I take a risk and jump in.

The Cobb OST Stg1 tune isnt amazing but it also isnt going to break anything either. I am happy with it until a prominent tuner pops up that I feel comfortable using.

I have a free e-tune with Freek that im going to try at some point. They are reputable with other brands just not with VW's yet.

And for those of you who are pioneering the tunes and doing the dirty work, I thank you!