GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Tuning Website Updated

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I have a couple Cobb logs I'll have to check out and see if there are any values in the KR. I mean based on description I would think ignition is the overall timing for that cylinder (I've seen a similar value in VCDS I believe), knock retard is the same as IGN 2-5 on the JB4 (actual degrees being pulled) and ignition timing final is after knock has been subtracted.. this is ignition 1 on the JB1.

Really I think their descriptions make more sense if this is the case. Knock should be knock and ignition is the timing on the cylinder and final seems to make sense to me lol. Now I need someone to log with KR, ignition and final to see if this is correct lol. Ideally someone with knock lol

Ah, okay, so the JB4 has one that only shows timing being pulled. Must be what Cobb is using, just using a name that makes more sense. I've never logged with either the JB1 or VCDS.

With ATR, a lot of people never got that everything you're looking at (same for AT-Pro) is something Cobb made up. Not in a bad way, but they're doing the software from scratch, just reverse engineering the code however that works, then translating it into english for us. They can label stuff whatever they want. Me like "KR."

I believe you're correct regarding the monitor break-down. For future reference, you can utilize our Monitor List to confirm what you're looking at. The per-cyl Ignition Timing/Knock Retard monitors are listed below.

Ignition Timing Cylinder 1 Current cylinder 1 ignition timing.
Ignition Timing Cylinder 2 Current cylinder 2 ignition timing.
Ignition Timing Cylinder 3 Current cylinder 3 ignition timing.
Ignition Timing Cylinder 4 Current cylinder 4 ignition timing.
**Knock Retard Cyl. 1 Knock Retard for cylinder 1
**Knock Retard Cyl. 2 Knock Retard for cylinder 2
**Knock Retard Cyl. 3 Knock Retard for cylinder 3
**Knock Retard Cyl. 4 Knock Retard for cylinder 4

I believe the tunes keep them active, but severely handicap them. Let us know if that fixes it :)

Correct, sorta. We can turn the light off however the checks will still run in the background. If checks do fail the code will still be present if a scanner is connected.

Marshall@COBB

Last edited:

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
What would you say is a safe value to see in those KR monitors marshall? Would some pull in the -1 or -2 range be ok? Or should it be avoided at all costs?

Tone1

Ready to race!
As far as using the boost monitor, I too am having the issue of it only displaying boost, and it doesn't seem accurate (varies significantly from my P3 gauge); I'm using the monitor for "boost pressure", and the site says to use "manifold absolute pressure" which doesn't appear in the monitor list. Is this something that will be added in the future or am I missing it?

geebob

Ready to race!
As far as using the boost monitor, I too am having the issue of it only displaying boost, and it doesn't seem accurate (varies significantly from my P3 gauge); I'm using the monitor for "boost pressure", and the site says to use "manifold absolute pressure" which doesn't appear in the monitor list. Is this something that will be added in the future or am I missing it?

I think it's "intake manifold pressure." I use "pressure upstream throttle" which I assume is calculated, but the IM one behaves weird, and on zap graphs, if you invoke them both, they're the same.

What the IM one does for me is insta-peg at 40 (max should be ~38) on a partial throttle acceleration from highway cruising speed. Maybe a flap thing or valve thing causing a glitch, I dunno. I'm talking more about real-time monitoring, not so much logging where it would probably be okay.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
There are two MAP sensors. I think the PUT value is the one on top of the intake manifold (it's technically a TMAP sensor) and the other one I'm guessing might be reading from the MAP sensor in the charge pipe pre-throttle body? The logs I've seen always have these two values very close so it's just a theory.

Porschetech1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it's "intake manifold pressure." I use "pressure upstream throttle" which I assume is calculated, but the IM one behaves weird, and on zap graphs, if you invoke them both, they're the same.

What the IM one does for me is insta-peg at 40 (max should be ~38) on a partial throttle acceleration from highway cruising speed. Maybe a flap thing or valve thing causing a glitch, I dunno. I'm talking more about real-time monitoring, not so much logging where it would probably be okay.

Pressure upstream is a real value the sensor is in the charge pipe coming out of the intercooler. I too am getting the 40 value which I thought was weird. When I graph though I don't see it on the graph so maybe it is a fluke. I monitor both it is interesting to watch but they are making boost in the intercooler piping priming the pipe before you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Looking at the monitor pages again, I think PUT is modeled and IM Pressure is correct. I say this because they use the term "calculated" for the PUT value.

geebob

Ready to race!
I'm guessing it's a little of both. The MAP is in the cold pipe, but to a German, it's a long way to the throttle from there, so they model the difference, because, German.

djadama

Ready to race!
I don't understand why the whole Boost Gauge is an issue. Heck my P3 read negative and Positive reading through the OBD port. What's going on Cobb???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoGoMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my car pro tuned. Requested the tuner to go easy on the torque since I m not ready for new clutch yet. Car feels a lot quicker and smoother now than the cobb tune. This is with CA91 gas...first run on chart is baseline for cobb ots stg3, last one is final result.

Mod: cts downpipe, cts bov, awe downpipe, arp ic

jcruz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk8 Golf R
Just got my car pro tuned. Requested the tuner to go easy on the torque since I m not ready for new clutch yet. Car feels a lot quicker and smoother now than the cobb tune. This is with CA91 gas...first run on chart is baseline for cobb ots stg3, last one is final result.

Thanks for posting the results! Looks good man. What kind of dyno?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rscott4563

Ready to race!

Aren't the Cobb OTS and your Pro-Tune results effectively identical (other than the +6500rpm range which would never be used)? Just wondering what the benefit of the Pro-Tune was in this particular case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoGoMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for posting the results! Looks good man. What kind of dyno?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tuner said the dyno read low like a mustang dyno. 10-15% lower than Dynojets.

Aren't the Cobb OTS and your Pro-Tune results effectively identical (other than the +6500rpm range which would never be used)? Just wondering what the benefit of the Pro-Tune was in this particular case?
The peak hp and tq only gained a little, but the curve around peaks gain able 30 whp\wtq.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep, he's got a lot of power in the mid and top end where the Cobb is lacking. Good numbers and good to know about the dyno :)