GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
At equal ambient temps I️ would expect the stock to idle/cruise at higher temps
Why is that? It seems to me that you're not moving any real amounts of air through either one under those conditions. My stock IC runs between 5 and 15 degrees F over ambient when cruising. And yeah, it takes a while to recover after getting heat soaked in Atlanta traffic...so an upgraded unit will be my next mod. But like most people, we want actual apples to apples data.

In any case, there's a huge difference in the starting temps on his graph, which tells me either the conditions were not the same, or both logs were after multiple back to back runs and the stock IC was already damn near heat soaked to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
Why is that? It seems to me that you're not moving any real amounts of air through either one under those conditions. My stock IC runs between 5 and 15 degrees F over ambient when cruising. And yeah, it takes a while to recover after getting heat soaked in Atlanta traffic...so an upgraded unit will be my next mod. But like most people, we want actual apples to apples data.

In any case, there's a huge difference in the starting temps on his graph, which tells me either the conditions were not the same, or both logs were after multiple back to back runs and the stock IC was already damn near heat soaked to begin with.

Yes some heat soak and next to the radiator. In that graph the stock is ~23C over ambient and the fmic is ~5 over assuming the conditions were, in fact, the same. If he’s tuned the stock will heatsoak. Also at idle which would you expect to better dissipate heat? The stock sandwich or the larger bar-plate standalone fmic?

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Yes some heat soak and next to the radiator. In that graph the stock is ~23C over ambient and the fmic is ~5 over assuming the conditions were, in fact, the same. If he’s tuned the stock will heatsoak. Also at idle which would you expect to better dissipate heat? The stock sandwich or the larger bar-plate standalone fmic?
I forgot that it was a true fmic...good call. Still would like to know more about the conditions leading up to those starting IATs. :)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Neither does anything at idle. If you were rolling down the highway at 60 in 6th with no runs prior, I'd expect them to start at the same temp. Then a downshift to fourth and pull to 120 would show what they've got.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
Neither does anything at idle. If you were rolling down the highway at 60 in 6th with no runs prior, I'd expect them to start at the same temp. Then a downshift to fourth and pull to 120 would show what they've got.

Key with your statement is no runs prior. Your comparison would be specific to relative temp drop under load, but doesn’t address differences in starting IATs under normal conditions

They both cool (not a lot) during idle. I️ mentioned that to illustrate a difference. A warmed up car at 10mph will have much lower starting IATs from a pure fmic than stock.

Downside of fmic is size restriction, AC performance hit, possible increase in engine temp, and longer hoses

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Key with your statement is no runs prior. Your comparison would be specific to relative temp drop under load, but doesn’t address differences in starting IATs under normal conditions

They both cool (not a lot) during idle. I️ mentioned that to illustrate a difference. A warmed up car at 10mph will have much lower starting IATs from a pure fmic than stock.

Downside of fmic is size restriction, AC performance hit, possible increase in engine temp, and longer hoses
The CTS and Neuspeed FMICs are still on my black Friday watch list. It's pretty hot here in NC and extremely humid for about 4 months of the year. The CTS seems to perform better being bar and plate, but the two concerns you mention, AC performance and pressure drop give me pause.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Just get an IE and be done with it

amgtorre

Passed Driver's Ed
The conditions had to be a little different for these runs, or the stock IC wouldn't start out 16c higher. Regardless, it is the trough to peak that matters and the stock IC went up 11c while the CTS went up only 5c. So it's twice as good as stock at cooling.

Wow lots of comments

What were the conditions:
The logs on the stock intercooler and FMIC were taken after driving the car in the morning with temps at 19°C, the car was parked overnight, I drive until the oil gets to 80° C at a normal / slow pace up a 2 km hill, (quickest way to get the oil warmed up) , then I turn around and mostly coast downhill to a road where I can do the third gear runs safely

So ambient temp and route were the same while I took the logs

Driving around town the car has more torque at low rpms, it responds better to small movements on the accelerator, and I noticed the DSG stays in 6th gear longer than with the stock intercooler

With the A/C on IAT is lower while driving in the city than with A/C off, when stopped it gets to 50°C , with the stock intercooler I saw it get to 70°C, that is with ambient around 30°C

I'm quite happy how the car is behaving

I have stg1 revo on the ECU and TCU, also an intake pipe and elbow with a replacement filter, during the summer temps get close to 40°C and I had the car go into soft limp mode a couple of times while driving fast with the A/C on, I'm at 1500mm above sea level, at high rpm the turbo does not reach the requested boost, but sure generates lots of heat, I'm hoping the FMIC will help prevent that

Last edited:

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
The CTS and Neuspeed FMICs are still on my black Friday watch list. It's pretty hot here in NC and extremely humid for about 4 months of the year. The CTS seems to perform better being bar and plate, but the two concerns you mention, AC performance and pressure drop give me pause.

I’m in the same boat waiting for a sale. The neuspeed is also bar and plate. I’m honestly torn between neuspeed/CTS. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Neuspeed: definitely designed better. Nice cast endtanks, smoother installation, I️ like that the air deflectors are cut so that they still direct airflow into the IC. Smaller volume and thicker/shorter core isn’t ideal. However either the GTI version or IS38 version should have sufficient volume for a tuned IS20.

CTS: more desirable core dimensions (thinner/taller) with more volume. Air deflectors removed completely, installation involves drilling the crash bar, and welded, bottom end tanks aren’t ideal.

I’m in South Florida and personally I️ think an FMIC is the best choice for a hot climate since I️ run the AC so often, heating the stock IC. I️ don’t think the impact on AC performance would be that significant and despite longer hoses, the core volumes are smaller than stock location ICs so I’m not too worried about pressure drop.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Just get an IE and be done with it

I wish I did this. Now I have a (still) loose radiator that has already fallen off and burst a coolant hose.

amgtorre

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m in South Florida and personally I️ think an FMIC is the best choice for a hot climate since I️ run the AC so often, heating the stock IC. I️ don’t think the impact on AC performance would be that significant and despite longer hoses, the core volumes are smaller than stock location ICs so I’m not too worried about pressure drop.
I have not noticed any problem with the A/C performance, it has been up to 30C in the afternoon and it is a pleasure to have good engine performance even when the weather is hot and the A/C is on

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Looks like Revo dropped a new(?) intercooler. There's a ShopDAP video of a Revo IC install a couple years back, but this one looks different. No dimensions provided, just "up to 51% Increased Core Volume". hmm

https://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/cooling/mqb-chassis-intercooler&engineid=182

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Hmm...install instructions not working here. Like that it comes with its own mounting hardware. Might help with some of the issues some have had.

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else have an opinion on the CTS vs Neuspeed FMICs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk