GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many MK7's have Coilovers installed?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Bilstein B14. 12mm and 20mm spacers.

lokerola

Ready to race!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Looks great. Nice Cervelo's.

Thanks! I like bikes.

looks nice man i was thinking of bilstein 14s how do they ride

The ride is pretty smooth. Not real bouncy on the small stuff...but when you hit the larger bumps or dips...you'll definitely feel it. I've still got some more threads left on the front and rear to go lower.

Everyone has different tolerances to how "harsh" aftermarket suspension rides. The older I get...the less tolerant I become.:D

Lifted from Neuspeed's site,

Original GTI Spring Rate(I didn't see any numbers for Golfs):

Front - 175 lbs/in, Rear - 230 lbs/in

PSS B14:

Front Axle
Lowering: 15-35 mm
Spring Rate: 400
Valving Reb/Comp: 915/925
Rear Axle
Lowering: 15-35 mm
Spring Rate: 420
Valving Reb/Comp: 950/715

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
BC Racing BR coilovers. They’re set pretty high right now. They can go a lot lower if wanted. To me, getting springs is a waste of $$. Save your $$, get coilovers. You won’t reget your decision as soon as you leave your driveway. The ride on these coilovers softest dampening setting is smoother and more compliant than a GTI with just springs. If you want it stiffer, it’s just a click away.

Attachments

• 82C38746-D0EF-4656-B451-4B74212DE372.jpeg
    82C38746-D0EF-4656-B451-4B74212DE372.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 1,219
  • EFEB5AC4-34EA-423B-9767-F5430361F1B5.jpeg
    EFEB5AC4-34EA-423B-9767-F5430361F1B5.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 1,220
  • EECB3F12-E11F-4430-B208-C2B02BBC42B2.jpeg
    EECB3F12-E11F-4430-B208-C2B02BBC42B2.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 1,219
Last edited:

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Coilovers won't necessarily give you better handling than a good spring/shock combo will, especially on a street car. The main advantages of coilovers are height adjustability and corner balancing.
A cheap pair of coilovers is far worse, as far as handing/ride goes, than a proper spring/shock combo. I'm only looking at the handing/ride equation, however. If you really feel the need to slam your car, then coils or bags are your only real options.

Coilovers will handle much better than if you kept your OEM shocks, and put aftermarket springs on it. If you go out and buy a spring and shock setup, you might as well buy adjustable coilovers, because your spring and shock setup will cost as much, if not more, and you’ll likely need to swap some OEM parts over to the shock to mount it, and you won’t have as much adjustability either.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
BC Racing BR coilovers. To me, getting springs is a waste of $$. Save your $$, get coilovers. You won’t reget your decision as soon as you leave your driveway. The ride on these coilovers softest dampening setting is smoother and more compliant than a GTI with just springs. If you want it stiffer, it’s just a click away.

Did you get their standard spring rates?

typeone

Ready to race!
Yes I did. I juggled back and forth if I should get higher spring rates, but I’m glad I didn’t. The 7kg front/6kg rear are super smooth and perfect for the car.

i have BC BR with standard springs as well ... do you ever experience coil slap on big hits? what's your preload set at up front? thanks, your ride looks sweet.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Kind of torn between coilovers or springs/shocks. Good coilovers would definitely cost more but the idea of being able to adjust the dampening is appealing. Would only set the height once and leave it after it settles.

Thing is I am more worried about long term maintenance. If a shock goes, I can replace the shock easily. If a coilover goes, how can I replace one? Don't they come as a set? Even if they're serviceable, I would need to have it shipped to get refurbished, right? Meanwhile, my car would be out of commission at the shop until I got it back.

typeone

Ready to race!
Kind of torn between coilovers or springs/shocks. Good coilovers would definitely cost more but the idea of being able to adjust the dampening is appealing. Would only set the height once and leave it after it settles.

Thing is I am more worried about long term maintenance. If a shock goes, I can replace the shock easily. If a coilover goes, how can I replace one? Don't they come as a set? Even if they're serviceable, I would need to have it shipped to get refurbished, right? Meanwhile, my car would be out of commission at the shop until I got it back.

i'm only familiar with BC Racing but most parts are serviceable or replaceable and available separately. so in the case you outlined of a bunk shock, you can just purchase that single shock alone.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
i have BC BR with standard springs as well ... do you ever experience coil slap on big hits? what's your preload set at up front? thanks, your ride looks sweet.

Thank you.

There hasn’t been any coil slap at all. Everything has worked perfectly. As far as what my preload is set at, I’m not sure. I used whatever they set the preload at when they shipped it, and I never moved or adjusted it. Reason is because from the factory, the preload is already set. I did make sure that my locking nuts were tight before I was done installing them, by taking a flathead screwdriver, and a hammer, and hitting the locking nut tighter. That will ensure you that it won’t work itself loose, which I read somewhere that the BC’s can do, and what caused one person to get coil slap. Hope that helps.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie

Trust me when I say, having ride height, camber plates, and dampening adjustability in a single coil over shock, is so much better, and though it is more $$, once they’re installed, you forget about the cost, because of the smiles on your face.

Think of it as this: if a coil goes bad in the front, you would need take apart the OEM coilovers to replace the shock, so as far as work to get it fixed, it’s the same whether on OEM coilovers, or aftermarket. There are coilovers companies that are 100% rebuildable, and most have 2yr warranties, so it should be fine in that regard. Downtime is a factor if you have a broken part on a coilover, but some companies can just ship out the item needed to be replaced, and you can swap it on at home, and then send the bad part back to them when you’ve replaced it, but not all coilover companies do that. I think you’ll be fine with coilovers. If anything, maybe find a budget set of coilovers, and find a used set of lowereing springs. That way you have both, and can swap your OEM suspension with lowering spring onto your car if your coilovers ever had a problem.