GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many MK7's have Coilovers installed?

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
It seems like most people have been modifying the suspension on their MK7 with either VWR, Eibach, or H&R springs instead of coilovers. I am interested in how many of you guys went the coilover route. Thanks in advance.

F12

Ready to race!
I haven't seen too many with coilovers on this board. If you're debating whether or not to go with coilovers, I would say unless you're tracking it, they aren't worth it. If you just want the look, it's probably more cost effective/durable to go with a strut/spring combo.

I'm more interested in knowing if anybody has gone that route and what's available.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
I haven't seen too many with coilovers on this board. If you're debating whether or not to go with coilovers, I would say unless you're tracking it, they aren't worth it. If you just want the look, it's probably more cost effective/durable to go with a strut/spring combo.

I'm more interested in knowing if anybody has gone that route and what's available.

lol I'm the last person to track my car and I would never just get springs. They don't go low are non adjustable and at some point you have to replace the stock shocks.

I always go coils, they cost more but perform better, can be adjusted if one chooses and go lower. BC racing or H&R street coils have been the more popular set ups. I chose H&R this time around.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
my reason for choosing springs is because they are lot cheaper and for me to justify at this point, maybe a year later if i wanna keep my car, i may move onto coilovers. Also mk7 is a "new" platform so there are some coilers coming out for these cars.

But i cannot stand the SUV height with my mk7 so springs did the job.

Golfn88

I got KW V1's put on a month ago. I found them on a german site for $1100 delivered. My mechanic installed them for $200. It seemed for entry level coilovers, the V1's handled more like stock than H&R or BC. Since this is my first car that I have changed the suspension on I can't compare to other setups. But I can say the handing over stock is awesome.

Disclaimer, I also swapped out my 196/65/15 for 225/40/18 so that also will account for different handling characteristics and ride quality.

I will say the tech who installed my coilovers remarked on how gentle the ride. I guess he was comparing that to other coilover jobs.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I'll likely be getting some VWR Springs at some point in the next year. Maybe when my birthday rolls around.

F12

Ready to race!
lol I'm the last person to track my car and I would never just get springs. They don't go low are non adjustable and at some point you have to replace the stock shocks.

I always go coils, they cost more but perform better, can be adjusted if one chooses and go lower. BC racing or H&R street coils have been the more popular set ups. I chose H&R this time around.

That's great if you decide to go with coilovers, I have in the past also. What you have to understand is not everybody wants to shell out $1000+ on adjustable suspension just to get a drop. If you only want to eliminate wheel gap it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money, not to mention if you are just eliminating wheel gap you'll most likely set your height and forget about it unless you plan on tracking regularly. I sold a friend my lowering springs from my last car and his stock struts are still riding like new; it's been 6 years.

As I'm assuming most cars here are DD's, some people live in cold environments where salt and sub-zero temps are an issue. Coilovers can seize and start clunking in colder temperatures. Once that happens, do the benefits of coilovers apply anymore? Most likely not. If something goes wrong with one corner of your coilovers, it's probably more expensive to order a new assembly for that corner vs a single strut.

I've had tokico struts + H&R sport springs on older cars and that rode great. Definitely more comortable than the coilovers on my last car.
Not trying to say coilovers are a terrible idea, just saying there are other ways of eliminating wheel gap that are probably a better long term investment.

Last edited:

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
I track my car often so there was no alternative for me. I mounted a Bilstein Clubsport last year in September. Never regretted the decision until today. Very good track performance and astonishing all day comfort. Works perfect for me.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
Coilovers won't necessarily give you better handling than a good spring/shock combo will, especially on a street car. The main advantages of coilovers are height adjustability and corner balancing.
A cheap pair of coilovers is far worse, as far as handing/ride goes, than a proper spring/shock combo. I'm only looking at the handing/ride equation, however. If you really feel the need to slam your car, then coils or bags are your only real options.

SUPREME POWER

Ready to race!
We had Bilstein PSS10 on ours until we put an air set up. I miss the PSS10. The air just doesnt do it for me but everyone wants to see it low.

The Bilstein PSS10 is for sale if anyone is looking for a good deal let me know! Can reach me via PM or email eric@supremepower.com or 714-632-1951 x225

They have about 500 miles on them. MINT perfect condition. If you are local installation is available too.

We also carry KW, H&R, and most other brands. All at discounted pricing.

Thanks!