GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone figured out how to defeat ESC and ASR on the Performance Package GTI?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
So we all know how to defeat the ASR and ESC function on the regular GTI as seen HERE, but the Performance Package cars use an entirely different set of coding for these functions to work with the VAQ differential. I have tried those settings and many others without success of full defeat without throwing ABS codes or losing other functions. I wanted to see if anyone else out there has had success removing the electrical nannies on the PP cars yet, please share your experiences here.

LeGti

Ready to race!
What other functionsnwere you losing?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
What other functionsnwere you losing?

Well I found that if you only leave "3" selected in byte 29 it allows the wheels to spin without any traction control interruption... but the VAQ diff locks up too hard in turns while acting weird and its stores ABS codes. If you just add "5 or 6" like you would to the normal GTI it doesn't fully disable ASR or ESC and it stores codes too.

Last edited:

LeGti

Ready to race!
Looking at Borg Warner's description, the VAQ or FXD's ecu apparently uses its own algorythm to process (Sigma) both wheel slip and yaw sensor inputs.

If I'm right about this, we need to communicate directly with the VAQ ecu. Does the Ross cable allow this?

Ben.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Yes, VAGCOM can communicate with it. The problem is that the ABS sensors are the VAQ diffs main inputs, some of the settings I have tried have a direct effect on the VAQ's functions as we are changing the ABS perimeters to allow slip. Because you have a European model, check your OEM Byte29 settings when you get the car... it may be different than our settings.

LeGti

Ready to race!
RJ, I'll check on my car once it's delivered (mid may). In the meantime I'll search the German and English forums. French one is pretty useless.

Atj89

Passed Driver's Ed
What a bummer this is that it hasn't been cracked yet. I too have the PP and really want to find a way to ditch the ESC. It completely cock blocks you sometimes and won't let you really enjoy that LSD. I hope someone figures it out soon as I'm looking around on the net.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Stil' haven't found the answer, but still actively searching...

I'll have my Euro PP Gti next week. Will see if VCDS can do anything and report here.

Ben.

Zach L

VR junkie
I've noticed that anyone that would use the PP features is likely to upgrade brakes/tune/diff anyway. Not being able to disable these nannies is yet another reason to NOT get the PP. Regardless, I hope all you guys with the PP find a solution! I suspect it will eventually happen.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I want to share some info on this for everyone. Someone that asked to remain anonymous that works in the industry shared some coding and a break down with me that will explain how to disable the systems to your liking...

01 FA 6B A1 34 25 29 6F 03 7B 06 01 C1 C9 A9 80 D6 2C 94 C0 60 83 95 F5 00 42 50 3A C1 09 Old 1 stage 9 may also be 2 for ASR only cars
01 FA 6B A1 34 25 29 6F 03 7B 06 01 C1 C9 A9 80 D6 2C 94 C0 60 83 95 F5 00 42 50 3A C1 08 New 2 stage change to 8
01 FA 6B A1 34 25 29 6F 03 7B 06 01 C1 C9 A9 80 D6 2C 94 C0 60 83 95 F1 00 42 50 3A C1 08 XDS OFF

byte Menu options

01 ESC ON

02 ESC ON/ASR OFF

03 ESC ON/ESC SPORT

04 ESC ON/ESC OFF

05 ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC OFF

06 ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF

07 ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC OFF

08 ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF

09 ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC SPORT

Now the only thing still limiting the DSG cars traction is the DSG tune, this will allow full wheel slippage without torque management kicking in.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Thanks RJ!

The coding that you shared, is that specific to the PP? If so, have you had a chance to go out and test it?

jmnj1

Passed Driver's Ed
I want to share some info on this for everyone. Someone that asked to remain anonymous that works in the industry shared some coding and a break down with me that will explain how to disable the systems to your liking...

01 FA 6B A1 34 25 29 6F 03 7B 06 01 C1 C9 A9 80 D6 2C 94 C0 60 83 95 F5 00 42 50 3A C1 09 Old 1 stage 9 may also be 2 for ASR only cars
01 FA 6B A1 34 25 29 6F 03 7B 06 01 C1 C9 A9 80 D6 2C 94 C0 60 83 95 F5 00 42 50 3A C1 08 New 2 stage change to 8
01 FA 6B A1 34 25 29 6F 03 7B 06 01 C1 C9 A9 80 D6 2C 94 C0 60 83 95 F1 00 42 50 3A C1 08 XDS OFF

byte Menu options

01 ESC ON

02 ESC ON/ASR OFF

03 ESC ON/ESC SPORT

04 ESC ON/ESC OFF

05 ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC OFF

06 ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF

07 ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC OFF

08 ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF

09 ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC SPORT

Now the only thing still limiting the DSG cars traction is the DSG tune, this will allow full wheel slippage without torque management kicking in.

Have you tested this? What specific settings did you go with? When you get in the car, do you hold the button down or just press it once to shut everything off or is it just set it and forget it?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Thanks RJ!

The coding that you shared, is that specific to the PP? If so, have you had a chance to go out and test it?

I have and this is accurate. This coding is actually good for all MK7's to my knowledge, I just don't fully understand the outcome of using two or more of these in sequence like some of the OEM settings are. The only thing I have noticed is that there is always a small electrical nanny working its magic in the background at all times that is still undefeat-able, and I have spoken with people who have had their R and GTI's on the track with everything defeated and they all have the same problem. It won't be noticeable on the street or to many novice drivers on the track, but those who are more in tuned with their car and experienced will know what I'm talking about. This is not a deal breaker though, its more of a safety net that allows you to be a hooligan without as much risk at the limit.

Have you tested this? What specific settings did you go with? When you get in the car, do you hold the button down or just press it once to shut everything off or is it just set it and forget it?

I leave it in setting 4 for the most part. I hold it down for 5-10sec for everything to deactivate. I want to make it clear that this does not remove the transmission torque limiters though, so this won't improve your 0-60 or 1/4 mile times but it immensely helps your track and auto-x times if you know your way around a course.

Last edited:

GaSs_ZA

Passed Driver's Ed
RJ,

When you hold the button does it say ESC diabled, ?

Does it help for the cutout during launching that I asked you about?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
RJ,

When you hold the button does it say ESC diabled, ?

Does it help for the cutout during launching that I asked you about?

Yes, it does the chime and states thats its has been disabled. No it doesn't help with the cutout during launch like I said before, these are torque limiters put in by the factory that don't allow 100% of torque to be applied to the wheels at low speeds to prevent excessive wheel spin/hop, broken axles and damaged transmissions. This is something a tune would fix unless someone figures out how to access these limiters.