GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror Dip on Reverse: Anyone Figure out Return?

sfm5

For me the up/down and left/right are swapped at the door, and during reverse as well. So its actually functioning as expected, except that the axes are exchanged.

I am going to try swapping wires tonight. I did some prelim swapping by just guessing, but with the schematics now attached (thanks DV52!!!!!) Should help a Great deal.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Indeed, according to VW terminology, "B" parts are for RHD cars. That was concluded after observation on many parts (wipers, etc.)

Geomets: My apology, I didn't intend to suggest that an error was made.

As is often the case in these type of projects, there are lots of "hidden surprises" for the person who first tackles the task

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
For me the up/down and left/right are swapped at the door, and during reverse as well. So its actually functioning as expected, except that the axes are exchanged.

I am going to try swapping wires tonight. I did some prelim swapping by just guessing, but with the schematics now attached (thanks DV52!!!!!) Should help a Great deal.

sfm: I'm not sure that it's going to help, but here is the diagram for the exterior mirror adjuster switch mechanism. As you can see, both LHD and RHD models are the same
Cheers
Don

Last edited:

sfm5

Indeed, according to VW terminology, "B" parts are for RHD cars. That was concluded after observation on many parts (wipers, etc.)

Not sure about that? I pulled a 'B' part out of my LHD car, and checking ebay.de, it seems like there are a lot of 'B' parts for (I assume) German vehicles, which like the rest of the civilized world, drives on the (ahem) correct side of the road (just kidding).

sfm5

So, based on what I've been able to figure out, seems like the polarity is reversed on this module. Based on DV52's schematics above, I switched the white/red wire, and got the mirror adjustment switch to move things in the correct direction. HOWEVER, the switch was opposite. Pushing left moved the mirror right, Pushing down moved the mirror up.

I looked into somehow switching the polarity to the motor, but doesn't seem possible. Complicating things is that there is only one "ground" (or negative) lead in the harness. Not as simple as just switching black and red, etc.

Next I will test-fit this module into the driver's (left) side. See if the polarity-reversal on this module is just meant to control the left-hand-mirror (although would not necessarily explain the up/down reversal).

sfm5

Just a follow-up (and to serve as documentation for my own records):

The 5Q4..592B module was installed onto the US Driver's Side (Left) and failed miserably. The windows would not work, mirrors would not adjust, etc. The 592B module seems destined for the passenger side of the car.

I am sourcing a 5Q4..593 module to see if the PAIR (593 and 592B) makes a difference. This is because 593 is supposedly the "Drivers Side" module number. Since the mirror adjustment switch is connected to the driver's side module, I wonder if the 593 module will reverse polarity to the passenger side.

I still hold out hope that the German units I've seen on ebay.de do include 5Q4..593 and 5Q4..592 modules, and seem to have the memory function.

The memory function is definitely my biggest pet-peeve, as I cannot parallel park easily, fearing the curbing of the rear right wheel, without manual adjustment (and readjustment).

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Just a follow-up (and to serve as documentation for my own records):

The 5Q4..592B module was installed onto the US Driver's Side (Left) and failed miserably. The windows would not work, mirrors would not adjust, etc. The 592B module seems destined for the passenger side of the car.

I am sourcing a 5Q4..593 module to see if the PAIR (593 and 592B) makes a difference. This is because 593 is supposedly the "Drivers Side" module number. Since the mirror adjustment switch is connected to the driver's side module, I wonder if the 593 module will reverse polarity to the passenger side.

I still hold out hope that the German units I've seen on ebay.de do include 5Q4..593 and 5Q4..592 modules, and seem to have the memory function.

The memory function is definitely my biggest pet-peeve, as I cannot parallel park easily, fearing the curbing of the rear right wheel, without manual adjustment (and readjustment).

Sfm: I sure do admire your tenacity! Just out of interest, do you have the simple, or the complicated unit that is shown on my wiring diagram? If you have the latter, have you considered swapping the wires to pin3 (Blue/Red) and pin 7(grey/yellow) - together with swapping Red and white and separate to this?

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
I've activated the function on my GF's Golf Comfortline 1.8T, the mirror always comes back to it's original position after the dip has been done.

sfm5

Sfm: I sure do admire your tenacity! Just out of interest, do you have the simple, or the complicated unit that is shown on my wiring diagram? If you have the latter, have you considered swapping the wires to pin3 (Blue/Red) and pin 7(grey/yellow) - together with swapping Red and white and separate to this?
Yes, I tried out your suggestions. Turns out the Grey/yellow and Greg/white etc wires don't control the mirror. Seems like they just detect the position of the mirror?

The red white brown are the up down and ground. Switching red and white effectively swaps the axes nicely, but the polarity is reversed so all adjustments are backwards.

Thanks again for putting that diagram together!

sfm5

I've activated the function on my GF's Golf Comfortline 1.8T, the mirror always comes back to it's original position after the dip has been done.
Where are you located and if you don't mind (and if you have a vagcom), what are your driver and passenger door module part numbers?

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Where are you located and if you don't mind (and if you have a vagcom), what are your driver and passenger door module part numbers?

Canada. I can try to get the module numbers but it's been cold as F lately so I don't feel like being in the car outside in the cold.

sfm5

For anyone else that is interested, I finally got this working.

Summary:

You definitely need the passenger side unit (5Q4 959 592). DO NOT GET the 'B' version (5Q4959592B) as you will be unable to manipulate the mirror (up/down axes is flipped with right/left).

I currently also have the European Drivers side unit (5Q4 959 593) installed as well, but it's not clear if you require both for this to work. I would just try getting the 592 (no B!) unit first.

Of course, you need to do the appropriate VCDS coding to enable the mirror dip, the menu item, etc, but I assume most here can figure that out.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

Summary:

You definitely need the passenger side unit (5Q4 959 592). DO NOT GET the 'B' version (5Q4959592B) as you will be unable to manipulate the mirror (up/down axes is flipped with right/left).

I currently also have the European Drivers side unit (5Q4 959 593) installed as well, but it's not clear if you require both for this to work. I would just try getting the 592 (no B!) unit first.

Of course, you need to do the appropriate VCDS coding to enable the mirror dip, the menu item, etc, but I assume most here can figure that out.

sfm5.

Since you already have the driver's side module fitted, why not have the mirror dip enabled for the drivers side as well? It will be useful if you are parking with the driver's side to the kerb.

I've not actually done this tweak (because the memory module is only on the passenger side on my car), but it might be worth a try.

The tweak involves changing Byte 4, Bit 2 & Bit 3. You will need to have the mirror position knob on the driver's side setting to get it to operate when you want.
Here's a pic of the two modules

Attachments

• DCM_450.jpg
    DCM_450.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2,533

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!

Summary:

where did you order this unit?

GC854

Ready to race!
Well done sfm5. You must have the patience of a saint. I am no techie but this has made for great reading. DV52 great to see forum members supporting one another to the extent you did.