GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundaktor removal

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Hi guys,
I saw a vid about how to remove the soundaktor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf5RJY9Kx68&
I'm a little confused about what to unplug though?
rsz_imag1243edit.jpg
Firstly, is it the circular thing to the left of my photo which is the soundaktor?
Secondly, which wire do I unplug? 1 or cluster 2?
Thanks

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Thank you for actually answering the question!
Is there some kind of lever attachment thing to the right of 1 of do you simply grab the wire and pull?
I'm hoping it is quieter. I have the car set in individual mode, but engine in sport (which I believe makes the soundaktor more...active?)

plat

Ready to race!
Is there some kind of lever attachment thing to the right of 1 of do you simply grab the wire and pull?
I'm hoping it is quieter. I have the car set in individual mode, but engine in sport (which I believe makes the soundaktor more...active?)

Do not forget to tie down that connector you are unplugging so it won't rattle and make annoying noises.:D

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Haha good point. I'm quite upset - I think my fingers are too fat! Going to be really tricky to unplug it and tape it down :S

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Update: Soundaktor removed
So, I unplugged the soundaktor. Ideally, I'd have done this using the ross tech cable, but didn't have one to hand, so did the physical unplugging instead. I tried to use tape to stop the connection from rattling around, but couldn't get it to hold as access to the soundaktor is tricky. I opted for that flexi-wire stuff instead.
rsz_imag1248[1].jpg
I thought that the car might be quieter purely due to the placebo effect. Wrong!
I was ASTOUNDED at how much quieter it is :eek: Can't believe a tiny device like that makes so much noise. I found it most noticeable when off throttle, at highish revs (>2k)
At the same time, I understand why the device exists. The car is so much quieter and feels less sporty somehow!
I'm keeping the soundaktor unplugged as it's so much more refined and I'll be adding more noise via new intake, exhaust and ecu tune.
To anyone reading this, I wholeheartedly recommend doing it!

GoTime1

Ready to race!
Lol I made that youtube video. But... I unplugged connector number 2. I don't think it matters though. I have read of guys disconnecting either. It is much easier to remove the big connector. Well for me it was.

Glad my video helped. Although not very detailed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Well, it seems both work then!
From onboard videos on youtube, I couldn't hear much difference, but in real life it's huge!

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion

No prob. I see that you figured it out, but yes, there is a lever that needs to be pushed down for anyone else reading this. The soundaktor is definitely a lot louder with the engine in Sport Mode while it is connected.

Interesting that either wire can be unplugged, there was only one wire/plug on the MK6 GTI's soundaktor..

MattyGti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys

I had no idea what a soundaktor was until I read this and googled it!

I actually don't understand why you would want to take that noise away? Surely you buy a GTi because you want a grunty noise when you put your foot down?

I may have this wrong??

Can you in which case turn it up?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You are not getting a grunty noise though as all you are getting a false noise created by an electronic device that in the cabin is louder than the engine itself. Once it has been disconnected then you can hear the engines true sound.