GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any suggestions for getting this off the glass?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Problem:

This has been on the car a long time, maybe even since new but I didn't notice it right away. I only catch it sometimes during my morning/evening commute if the sun is directly in front of me, low in the sky. Sun is really the only light that makes it show up. It's very difficult to get a photo of, this is the first time in many attempts that I was successful enough to make a post about it. It looks like hard water spots or something, but we don't really have hard water where I am.

I've tried the following on waffle weave, super fuzzy, and/or glass specific microfibers on the inside and outside of the glass:
White Vinegar (inside and outside)
Bon Ami 1886 (outside only. similar to barkeepers friend) w/ a microfiber applicator pad.
3d Products HD Glass cleaner (inside and outside)
Stoner Invisible Glass foam (inside and outside)

I've also tried Meguiar's medium clay on the inside and outside of the glass.
No improvement.

To the naked eye, it seems like it's on the inside, but I can't tell if it's really inside the layers of glass and is some sort of defect.

I've seen some people swear by 0000 steel wool and other's scream loudly to stay away from that method. I've also seen people say to try denatured alcohol, but I'm concerned about getting it on things I wouldn't want it to touch. So I'm looking for any suggestions beyond those things, or confirmation that those things might be my best bet.

While we're at it, for anyone living in CA where the dealer puts the temp registration on your windshield in the lower right corner, it seems to leave a permanent mark that can be see if the windshield is fogged up. Tips on getting that off since none of the above has worked would be welcome as well.

Last edited:

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Try wd40 on a paper towel on a spot of it. I’ve used that on deposits and if it doesn’t do a thing it is still informative as to the composition of the stain or residue or whatever it is.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Try wd40 on a paper towel on a spot of it. I’ve used that on deposits and if it doesn’t do a thing it is still informative as to the composition of the stain or residue or whatever it is.

Can also try mineral spirits (the major solvent in WD40) and goo-gone.

If nothing you tried worked, and the above don't work, then I would guess what you are seeing has something to do with the glass lamination.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I've tried pretty much everything, and the only thing that works is either a new windscreen or a rotary polisher with cerium oxide.

That said, when using Bon Ami 1886 you should be keeping it a wet slurry as you buff.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
try CLR. Calcium Lime Rust. It's typically the calcium that causes hard water spots. Parked my car in front of my sprinklers a few times and had hard water spots. wouldn't come off. Tried this since it works on my shower door, and it worked. give it a go and let us know if it works. You typically spray it on and let it sit 5 min or so. Spray a good amount on and try not to get it on paint. used it to clean my brakes and got some on my wheels and ate through some of the clear coat.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
CLR might work, but it's pretty dangerous to use.

You can get spray in your eyes, or it might eat the paint.

Not sure what it's going to do that a polish won't.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!

Chemical vs mechanical removal. That’s why I said try wd40 since he probably has it and it acts similarly to clr for many hard deposits.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Chemical vs mechanical removal. That’s why I said try wd40 since he probably has it and it acts similarly to clr for many hard deposits.

Will give this a go if magic eraser doesn't work.

try CLR. Calcium Lime Rust. It's typically the calcium that causes hard water spots. Parked my car in front of my sprinklers a few times and had hard water spots. wouldn't come off. Tried this since it works on my shower door, and it worked. give it a go and let us know if it works. You typically spray it on and let it sit 5 min or so. Spray a good amount on and try not to get it on paint. used it to clean my brakes and got some on my wheels and ate through some of the clear coat.

I've determined that this is on the inside of the glass by looking at it in the dark with a flash light. No way I'm brining CLR inside the car.

Try a magic eraser before whatever glass cleaner you normally use. I had similar issues and found this video with great instructions/tips.

https://youtu.be/axI5Luw0Eos

I will give this a try for sure. Magic erasers take all sorts of shit off, don't know why I didn't think about this before.