GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe without tune?

Matias

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello guys summer is coming here and im planning to install a cts catted dp and after summer go with a tune, will running the dp for 3 months without a tune cause any reliability issues?

BTW I got a css muffler installed so im gonna upload some sound clips.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Youll need a new short block at the end of the week. APR now sells them. Watch for knock retard above 10 through redline.

Jk you will be absolutely fine. Go drive your car with the dp and have fun.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Worth 20-25 whp. The sound on stock exhaust is peeeerrrrfect. Enjoy.

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
Worth 20-25 whp. The sound on stock exhaust is peeeerrrrfect. Enjoy.

Been running with aftermarket downpipe with stock catback for two years, and you are correct...purfect...not too loud, but enough to know it's not stock.

You will get a CEL if you dont' have a spacer though (without a tune), unless u go high end downpipe with 02 sensor.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Been running with aftermarket downpipe with stock catback for two years, and you are correct...purfect...not too loud, but enough to know it's not stock.

You will get a CEL if you dont' have a spacer though (without a tune), unless u go high end downpipe with 02 sensor.

You can run one of those catted spacers to prevent CEL's. There is current thread on this. Do not need 1000 dp. Lol.

Agreed, sound is great. Since pulling back seat and junk in the trunk there is no way I would want it any louder nor deeper than it is.

pieguy

Ready to race!

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Quick Q here as I’m prpbably installing an APR downpipe on Sunday.
I ordered the vibrant spacer off Amazon but it will take a week to arrive.

I’ll have to drive for a week or so with no spacer so I’m pretty sure I’ll get a CEL for rich mixture. But will this cause the car to go into limp mode or harm performance for any reason?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Quick Q here as I’m prpbably installing an APR downpipe on Sunday.
I ordered the vibrant spacer off Amazon but it will take a week to arrive.

I’ll have to drive for a week or so with no spacer so I’m pretty sure I’ll get a CEL for rich mixture. But will this cause the car to go into limp mode or harm performance for any reason?

It will not harm anything. The CEL will be on for catalyst efficiency below threshold which is basically saying your cat is not functioning properly. This does not impact performance as that is based on the wide band O2 sensor located pre-turbo.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
It will not harm anything. The CEL will be on for catalyst efficiency below threshold which is basically saying your cat is not functioning properly. This does not impact performance as that is based on the wide band O2 sensor located pre-turbo.

Spasibo!
That confirmed my current though/understanding of the matter.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
so you can run an aftermarket downpipe on these cars without tuning? That makes me flinch, most probably because I am so used to owning my 2011 STI, which you can't even change air intakes without a tune, let alone a downpipe. I think I would re-tune shortly after installing a downpipe either way, but still, this is very interesting information and good to know. Another sign of how friendly these golf R engines are to tuning.