GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How wheels size affect performance on a MK7

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Cool stuff. Pretty much confirms what most of us have sort of gathered, that smaller is better for bad weather like snow tire environments, and bigger is the best for performance environments like the track. More or less; I like that the article emphasized the subjective and inconclusive nature of a lot of the testing.

BLem7

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool article. My rationale for switching from the 19" Cadiz to aftermarket 18"s is the price for tires. For some reason it seems like tires are way cheaper in 18s

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Surprise was that 18's rode better than 17's.

Feel like that's the sweet spot

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Good review of wheel size differences. Would love to see same type of video/article on wheel/tire weight as a factor in performance across wheel sizes. I opted for lighter 18 inch wheels plus the additional comfort factor of a taller side wall for DD. Hoping that combo is the sweet spot for performance without rattling my teeth over bumps in the road. I really like the looks of 19 inch rims, but the potential of too harsh a ride on a daily basis pushed me to stay with 18s.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've read in a couple of places that 19 are optimal for optimal conditions. So if you're tracking the car, it wants 19 inch wheels. I've had my teeth rattled pretty good on 18s but they still look pretty sweet and I tend to pick the middle options on a lot of life paths.

I take it to mean that your winter wheel should probably be a smaller size for best results in the muck.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I've read in a couple of places that 19 are optimal for optimal conditions. So if you're tracking the car, it wants 19 inch wheels. I've had my teeth rattled pretty good on 18s but they still look pretty sweet and I tend to pick the middle options on a lot of life paths.

I take it to mean that your winter wheel should probably be a smaller size for best results in the muck.

and this seems to reinforce that idea, since the 19's had the quickest lap time.