GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Tail lights when indicating

Macker87

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed when indicating on the MK7's GTI/R's that the led which overlaps the brake light and indicator overrides the red part of the light cluster causing it to go from RED to OFF and then when indicating from AMBER to OFF. Once the indicating cycle has finished it goes from AMBER to OFF then back to RED. I'm looking for a way (via coding) to make the indicator function override the red part of the taik light and make the indicator (with tail lights on) alternate from AMBER to RED instead of AMBER to OFF. I just think it looks better instead of a gap in the led strip when indicating. Hope I make sense and someone knows if this is possible and whether or not it can be done via VCDS.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If I understand correctly, no. You can't make an amber light turn red. You might be able to make the brake lights work as turn signals but I doubt you'd like to.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Macker: Are you talking about the LED below?

IF so, can you post-up a copy of the Leuchte-set for one of the brake lights from your car - I'm not sure, but If you are willing to experiment, I can probably give you some suggestions.

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
^^hmm......... it may be the difference between NAR and RoW models (country unclear in the videos)?

Don

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Huh.. strange. I don't seem to see what you're referring to.

1st video all I see is the car has the hazards on. Do you mean the outer tail light isn't lit up, like when braking, when indicating?

2nd video I don't see the outer tail light alternating with the amber turn signals if that's what you meant.

If you look closely in the first video the red LED in the brake light goes out when indicating and in the second video it alternates from red to amber instead of going off.

1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzAwMt4o3uQ

2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tP-bcEIts

Macker87

Don, I suspect your right hopefully someone will work out if or where the changes may need to be made to make this possible. Derushi, if you look at the two videos you will see the part of the indicator that overlaps through the tail light goes off completely with the indicator blink and in the other the light is always on but alternates from red to amber when indicating.

Agorina

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine work as the OP wants them to so not sure what the problem is. Lights go from red to amber back to red without ever going off. I used the coding provided with the BEC harness.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Mine work as the OP wants them to so not sure what the problem is. Lights go from red to amber back to red without ever going off. I used the coding provided with the BEC harness.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Agorina: Yes, I suspect that the fix to OP's problem isn't coding changes, but rather physical - the harness!!

Don

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed when indicating on the MK7's GTI/R's that the led which overlaps the brake light and indicator overrides the red part of the light cluster causing it to go from RED to OFF and then when indicating from AMBER to OFF. Once the indicating cycle has finished it goes from AMBER to OFF then back to RED. I'm looking for a way (via coding) to make the indicator function override the red part of the taik light and make the indicator (with tail lights on) alternate from AMBER to RED instead of AMBER to OFF. I just think it looks better instead of a gap in the led strip when indicating. Hope I make sense and someone knows if this is possible and whether or not it can be done via VCDS.

LOL, we here in North America would love to get that functionality (aka "Bi-Coloured LED") and some people have literally spent dozens of hours ripping up the inside of their car to re-wire their NA Mk7 to get this. And here you are trying to get rid of it...

The function you are talking about is controlled by a separate wire in the harness (Pin4 on outer LED Light plugs), as well as a separate channel in the controll module to do this. So yes, I imagine you should be able to "fix" it via VCDS/OBD11 or maybe you could simply unplug that wire from the wiring harness of your tail light (but not sure if that will throw a code though).

I will try to dig through my bookmarked pages to find the channels in question or if you don't want to wait, try your google-fu.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I see what you're saying, and have never noticed a gap like that before as seen in that first vid. I will have to double check my OEM Euro GTI tails now with the BEC harness and see what they do.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I'm using the very first gen DAP harness on my car, and I do not have the gap you mention. When looking closely, the red LEDs in that portion actually stay lit in addition to the amber LEDs as they blink. From a normal distance, only the amber is visible though.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5G-B7CwO3c