GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Filler Flap problem

mclovin247

Had my MK7 8 months, noticed the fuel flap does not spring open anymore when depressed, you have the use a finger nail to prize it open.

Booked in with the dealer in a couple of weeks, had anyone had a similar problem?

Boost1

Ready to race!
I have this problem. It generally appears when the car is dirty and bits have fallen off the tree and blown over the car. Then after a good wash down including the filler cap area and a bit of poking around it seems to work properly for a while. The whole mechanism is a bit cheap to be honest. My BMW has a rubber boot over the push in/out actuator bit to keep it clean and much better hinges - no problems on that car!

Let us know if you find a fix :)

Last edited:

tom1

Ready to race!
This happened to me yesterday morning kinda, it was slightly frosty out and I noticed that my fuel flap was actually open.....At first I thought some a** hole has attempted to or actually stole all of my fuel. When I tried to close the flap it just stuck inwards and was really hard to open again, once I got to work I checked it again and it was working as normal so maybe it could be temperature related too?

Boost1

Ready to race!
My feeling is that the mechanism is just a bit crap and if affected by dirt it could easily be affected by any frost too. I have not bothered going to the dealer as I know they are just going to poke around maybe give a quick squirt of wd40 so that they can show me there is nothing wrong only for it to reoccur later on.

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
Had exact same problem, only had a car 4 months and was never dirty to blame it on dirt, it just stop springing all of the sudden. But dealer replaced it straight away under warranty.

le0n1

Ready to race!
Have this problem to, going to book time at the dealer to fix it. 8000 km, car is "never" dirty.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
So is the issue the lock/catch or the central-locking actuator, what?

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Mine went 6 weeks ago at 9250 miles. Service lady at my dealer was well aware of it and ordered a new actuator.....

I booked car in for service and said I'd wait till then as it was only two more visits to fuel.

Car serviced on Friday past and the problem is allegedly fixed. VW no longer replacing the actuator, but instead shaving a little bit off plastic somewhere.

Time will tell.

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not the catch, cause when the flap is opened, the catch is working no problem, the dealer had to replace the whole black housing that you see when the flap is opened

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Sounds to me like there's a QC issue with the black plastic housings and some are perhaps not quite the exact shape and thus as it gets colder and the plastic contracts slighting they no longer quite fit.

Boost1

Ready to race!
From what I have observed the actuator works fine. When closed, part of the flap or hinge rubs against part of the housing. There is a bit of friction which binds the flap in position and it is difficult for the actuator to pop the thing open when pressed. When a bit of dust or frost etc increases the friction slightly then the flap does not come open at all.