GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Filler Flap problem

Boost1

Ready to race!
Betty Swollocks is bang on about shaving the plastic. I had a good look around my dodgy cap spurred on by his information and found some tiny rub marks on a piece of the housing right above the actuator. This aligned with a little ridge that I could see on the flap's catch. I shaved off about 0.5mm with a stanley knife and the flap opens really smoothly now. It did get worse initially when I hadn't quite shaved enough off to stop it rubbing but I had roughened up the existing surface, then kept going until it was all good. Due to it being dark outside I have only got a low res picture, see below for the piece I trimmed marked red.

Last edited:

7KMFLOG

Mine was dodgy at the weekend so just gave it a clean and then squirted a bit of Holt's rubber lubricant on the moving bits. Works a treat now!

mclovin247

Just collected my car from dealer, new actuator fitted. Works fine now, lets hope this one last longer than 7000 miles.

mclovin247

New actuator has started sticking again after just 1 month. Car booked in for service on a Saturday going to try and get them to look at it again.

Not happy with VW atm

Boost1

Ready to race!
For most cars it is not the actuator, it is the extra bit of plastic that needs trimming off. VW acknowledge the problem and have now notified all the dealers. Ask them to look at that as well as keep putting new actuators on.

Boost1

Ready to race!
.......or trim the plastic off yourself if you are getting annoyed with all the trips to your VW stealership, cough sorry, dealership.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Mine jammed today too when attempting to refill. I'll let VW off for this one, first time it's been an issue.

Much worse was my horror at the car slowly rolling backwards as I paid the nice lady in the kiosk, the EPB not clearly holding despite the normally confidence-inspiring green P being displayed. Hopefully just a temp thing, it's been hovering around -2C all week, though I'll take a nail file to the filler anyway and obviously I'll monitor both devices....

Barb351

Ready to race!
I have the same problem as Tom. I have found mine open twice now. If it happens again I will return to dealer.

Anayat

Ready to race!
I really don't want to go to the deal. Can anyone post detailed pictures of what part I'm meant to trim down

Boost1

Ready to race!
You need to shave or file a tiny amount away from the raised triangular ridge that I have highlighted in yellow. Don't cut the whole piece away, this image is my car AFTER the procedure.

Tariq

Fuel Filler flap problem

I recently complained about the same problem on my car which was inspected by a Technician and was asked to bring it to Northampton VW as its a known issue so that they could replace the part under warranty.

Having left my car their for a couple of hours frustrated to learn that they did not replace the platsic trim on inside but just cut away the excess plastic and now the flap springing open as it should do. Master Technician confirmed problem and said VW would not fund replacement but instruct dealers to follow a procedure to cure problem unless dealers pick up cost.

Just wish the communication was better between VW and its dealer network and recognition that their are known issues with MK7 golf and this being one.