GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Folding Mirrors Install Tips

inc55

Go Kart Champion
So I received my folding mirrors from aliexpress for $230 shipped (I negotiated the price down by $12 from seller BDL co,Ltd-The World Of Car Accessories). This seller ships via DHL and the order came in like 3 days from china. I used USP's guide to help me install the mirrors but I had some trouble along the way which the guide didn't shed any light on. First make sure you have some kind of extension for the torx 30 bit as the pathway in the second place is long and a regular driver wont reach. To remove the door panel remove the two torx 30 screws like the guide suggests and then rotate the nut to the vertical position. Now USP suggests gripping the sides of the door to release the clips. This is not very practical because you won't be able to get a good grip. I put one hand on the metal door itself and the other hand was pulling from the same are you rotated the nut to the vertical position. I have included picture showing where the 6 clips are located. 5 clips in RED and 1 clip in green showing the last clip which could either be pulled out or just slide the door up and it will release. Ok, now that the door is off you will need to release the main connector for the mirror and that is all straightforward. Make sure you are using a large screw driver because the two torx 30 screws holding the actual mirror require a bit of strength to release and I was at first using a mini driver. To release the door module you need to apply pressure up where the yellow circle is and the hook like clip will release. When routing the new cable from the new mirror try to route it into the same space as it came out. Clip the green clip first before getting the black grommet through and fixing it in its place.

Ok, this is where I had trouble. I couldn't for the life of me get the door back in its original position and I couldn't figure out why. The picture below (light blue circle) is what I was left with and it was very frustrating and the reason I am writing this guide. Hopefully, I can save someone the frustration I went through before finally figuring it out. Ok, basically the cylinder shaped plastic piece circled in yellow needs to go into the slot circled in red. You need to have the rear part of the door higher than the front to get it into place, then everything will fit nicely. Think of butterfly doors. Once, you understand that that piece needs to go into that slot, life and this install will be a breeze. I hope this helps someone and please leave any questions. This install with the proper knowledge is no difficult at all. Might seem frightening to remove the door panels but it wasn't that bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 9,168
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 7,750
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 7,531
  • IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 7,643
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 7,805
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 7,584
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 8,024
Last edited:

naDintheHat

Passed Driver's Ed
Another good tip is to buy a handful of extra clips in-case you break a few. They are pretty cheap and can be found on eBay/amazon/dealer.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Another good tip is to buy a handful of extra clips in-case you break a few. They are pretty cheap and can be found on eBay/amazon/dealer.
my mirrors came with 2 extra clips but I had some extras from my local dealer for a dollar each.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Inc55, thanks for the tips forum member sabo has a very detailed PDF on how to do this as well, the USP guide is good but it some steps were not needed like removing the mirror modules. Thanks for taking the time to share your tips.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Inc55, thanks for the tips forum member sabo has a very detailed PDF on how to do this as well, the USP guide is good but it some steps were not needed like removing the mirror modules. Thanks for taking the time to share your tips.

A link would be appreciated to sabo's guide.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I gotta say I love these folding mirrors because I now know for sure when my car is locked or not. Before, I would lock my car and after a few moments forget if I locked it and lock it again. Now, I could just see the mirrors are folding and KNOW they it is locked.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I gotta say I love these folding mirrors because I now know for sure when my car is locked or not. Before, I would lock my car and after a few moments forget if I locked it and lock it again. Now, I could just see the mirrors are folding and KNOW they it is locked.

That's one of the many pluses of doing this mod.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to say that after the folding mirror install I now have a rattle somewhere in the passenger side door area. Could be unrelated but still worth noting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the helpful tips and pictures. I will be attempting this soon, too, with auto folding mirrors from aliexpress.

One quick question, I know you can code them to automatically fold and unfold on lock and unlock, but does anyone know if it's possible for them to automatically fold and unfold on ignition on and off? Personally I think that would be cooler as I never use my fob and instead always use the KESSY sensor on the door handle for unlocking, which would mean it would be unfolding while I'm opening the driver's door. Not a big deal but just wondering if anyone has achieved this.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the helpful tips and pictures. I will be attempting this soon, too, with auto folding mirrors from aliexpress.

One quick question, I know you can code them to automatically fold and unfold on lock and unlock, but does anyone know if it's possible for them to automatically fold and unfold on ignition on and off? Personally I think that would be cooler as I never use my fob and instead always use the KESSY sensor on the door handle for unlocking, which would mean it would be unfolding while I'm opening the driver's door. Not a big deal but just wondering if anyone has achieved this.

You can code them to fold when you lock the door and unfold with ignition on, my take on folding in before you get out of the car is that it's a safety issue, at least for me in NYC where there are sooo many bicyclist roaming around bike messengers etc that if you open the door with the mirrors folded someone that you didn't see will hit you door or your door hits someone, one day you forget
To look before opening and have a bike rider on the floor [emoji4] I did that :-(

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
You can code them to fold when you lock the door and unfold with ignition on, my take on folding in before you get out of the car is that it's a safety issue, at least for me in NYC where there are sooo many bicyclist roaming around bike messengers etc that if you open the door with the mirrors folded someone that you didn't see will hit you door or your door hits someone, one day you forget
To look before opening and have a bike rider on the floor [emoji4] I did that :-(

Haha, agreed, I didn't even think of that. Unfold with ignition on and fold with lock would be perfect. Without coding what is the default behavior of the mirrors if they are folded and you start the car? Do they unfold or do you have to manually move the knob on the door switch? If the latter, do you by chance know the VCDS tweaks to get it to act on ignition instead of unlock? Thanks!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Haha, agreed, I didn't even think of that. Unfold with ignition on and fold with lock would be perfect. Without coding what is the default behavior of the mirrors if they are folded and you start the car? Do they unfold or do you have to manually move the knob on the door switch? If the latter, do you by chance know the VCDS tweaks to get it to act on ignition instead of unlock? Thanks!

To be honest I don't remember what the default behavior was but I had to code them a second time to be able to use my fob for opening and closing plus the puddle light LED to work, originally I used the that USP PDF I later used The one Sabo's PDF everything worked except the lights, I can't remember what I un clicked to make the work I'll have to search my post on that when I asked for help. Sorry that I can't be of more help, I'll post if I find it

sabo

Ready to race!
To be honest I don't remember what the default behavior was but I had to code them a second time to be able to use my fob for opening and closing plus the puddle light LED to work, originally I used the that USP PDF I later used The one Sabo's PDF everything worked except the lights, I can't remember what I un clicked to make the work I'll have to search my post on that when I asked for help. Sorry that I can't be of more help, I'll post if I find it

The last 2 pages show the boxes I checked for the folding mirrors and puddle lights. Mine worked doing it this way. Sorry, can't help on the fob coding as I purposely kept manual as I use the folding only when I park in my garage (otherwise my car barely fits), so folding on fob or start wouldn't be good. So, to answer, the default was the manual switch is turned to the 'fold' symbol for close and back for out.