GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steam in Front lights

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
No, that is not normal. Moisture is somehow getting inside your headlight housing and causing the condensation you see on the inner portion of the lens.

You should have the dealer take a look at that and most likely they will replace as long as your warranty is good.

No proper functioning headlight should have any moisture inside.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I get it in mine also.
Colder damp weather does it more for mine.
Not sure if anything to do.
Make sure the access cover on back is on all the way.
It should dry on it's own and the light breath and are not sealed.
You could on a warmer dry day remove the back cover and let it air out and dry to see if it helps. Just remember to put cover back on.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Make sure the access cover on back is on all the way.
It should dry on it's own and the light breath and are not sealed.
You could on a warmer dry day remove the back cover and let it air out and dry to see if it helps. Just remember to put cover back on.

IMO, since water should not be getting anywhere under the hood near the bulb access points, it is getting in through the seal which holds the lens to the actual headlamp housing.

As odd as it sounds, it is not uncommon for people to remove their headlamp housings, put them in the oven at low temp to release the bond from the silicone(or whatever sealing agent is used), remove the lens and re-apply sealant to try and get a better seal.

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...the-best-way-to-remove-headlight-condensation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anN0vYBj6Uo

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
IMO, since water should not be getting anywhere under the hood near the bulb access points, it is getting in through the seal which holds the lens to the actual headlamp housing.

As odd as it sounds, it is not uncommon for people to remove their headlamp housings, put them in the oven at low temp to release the bond from the silicone(or whatever sealing agent is used), remove the lens and re-apply sealant to try and get a better seal.

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...the-best-way-to-remove-headlight-condensation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anN0vYBj6Uo

I do not think water is getting in. As the headlights are not sealed as in most cars they breath. Air has moisture in it so when it cools off at night in Tennessee the moisture in the air, inside the light, condenses on the inside of the lens. I could be wrong. Just my thoughts. Open to other suggestions.
Not putting my LP headlights in an oven. For sure not under warranty.

Think about what happens inside the car when it cools off at night.
The Windows fog over.
If one could seal the headlight, then first purge it with Nitrogen and then seal it.

Last edited:

Jlungo

Ready to race!
If you just got the car...even if it wasnt yesterday, the dealer should absolutely take a look at it and be accommodating.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Temperature changes is causing the moisture in the ambient air in your headlights to separate which is normal condensation. You can't change the temperature, but you can change the amount of moisture in the air in the light. You can accomplish by opening port to access bulb and drop in a desiccant pack. Once the moisture is removed you should be able to remove desiccant pack. Try to pick a day when the humidity is low as when you open that is the air you are letting in.

The light can be perfectly sealed, but if ambient air is moist you will have problems. A great example is a dive watch that can keep water out even at great depths. Yet, when you go into hot tub it fogs up due to condensation.

Kynetic64

Ready to race!
I bought helix LP headlights for my gti and they were doing the same thing. It wasn't water getting in, it was just the dew point of the air inside the headlight like everyone said. (Although still shouldn't happen on a new car) After many trial and errors, I blocked off the vents, sealed the access covers better and made calcium chloride desiccant packs and put in both headlights. It's been 6 months, fog free.

The problem with silica packs is they absorbe very slow and if it gets cold out, forget it. The other issue with the silica is once it's saturated, it will actually give up the moisture it absorbed if it gets hot enough outside.

The problem with calcium chloride, once it's saturated, it turns into a brine solution. However, if the headlight is totally sealed, and you're confident that there's not water getting in and you put a big enough pack in, there's not much to worry about. I check it now and again, calcium chloride can hold 80% of its size in water and will not release it back into the headlight. Also, it absorbes incredibly, hot or cold, keeping the air inside the headlight dry.

This shouldn't have to be done with new headlights / car, but just my $.02, and something that works for me.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Yes it is normal, it has been on here before. Every car with HID's I have had as done it. Only if there are big droplets of water inside the lens would show a problem. HIDs run much cooler than the halogen equivalent and condensation is a thing that just happens, it will go on it's own in warmer weather and re appear again when it cools.

pcr

Ready to race!
I find it not uncommon for this mist to appear immediately after washing the car, so I would keep pressure washers well away from headlight areas.