GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Condensation on inside of 1 headlight

wah

Ready to race!
A couple of days ago I was on my way home in a a pretty severe storm and had to go through some serious puddles that were on the road.
It has been 4 days since then and there has been condensation on the inside of my headlight ever since.

It doesn't effect anything it just really bothers me that its in one headlight and not the other.

Anyone experience condensation in their headlights? will it go away? or is a seal/gasket broken and should I take a trip to the dealer?

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Its fairly common, not normal but ive read about it happening often. Multiple threads around about people getting it, having dealer replaced under warranty to only come back again. Not sure if that was one in a million type case but still seems to happen. It happened to me on a pretty rainy evening and decided to search the forums then realized it was popular lol. In my case it hasn't come back but it seems yours is a bit more persistent. I'd say schedule with the dealer and get that replaced. Not a pro here but this isn't supposed to happen to a fairly new car.

wah

Ready to race!
These are each of my headlights. The one with condensation has not gotten any better over the last 4 days

Attachments

• clearheadlight.JPG
    clearheadlight.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Foggyheadlight.JPG
    Foggyheadlight.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 1,431

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Yeah that's serious, I think you could even add that it may reduce visibility to your dealer visits. I thought headlights were sealed.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I had some condensation in both for about the first week I had the car but it seems to have gone away, it's been 4 weeks now. It was never as bad as what you have going on there though, it was more of a mist. I'd take it to the dealer.

wah

Ready to race!
I have a date with the dealer tomorrow at noon. I will post back with, hopefully a resolution or answers.

Maybe this is my cars way of saying it would like some Ed's replica headlights put in

wah

Ready to race!
Dealer said in this weather this is normal (we've had heavy rain storms followed by warm days and cold nights)
They said the Tech used compressed air to blow moisture out of the headlight and then let the car sit with the high-beams on for a little and then the blew remaining water out.
They said they could not find any damage done to the light housing and if the problem persists I should bring it back.
There is still some condensation but not nearly as bad as before.
I will wait a couple weeks and see if it gets any better or worse.

PS: I had the pleasure of having a 2013 Nissan Versa as my loaner car..God I love my GTI

Attachments

• image1 copy.jpg
    image1 copy.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 1,290

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Wow im surprised they consider this normal. I think is really unacceptable to go around driving a new car, whether this be the case or not, looking like its got some eye disease or those much older vehicles with oxidized lamps. Best of luck and hope it goes away.

wah

Ready to race!
Wow im surprised they consider this normal. I think is really unacceptable to go around driving a new car, whether this be the case or not, looking like its got some eye disease or those much older vehicles with oxidized lamps. Best of luck and hope it goes away.

I feel the same way. I feel like my car has a black eye. I'm thankful that a Tech at least tried to get some water out of the housing. Maybe if it persists then they would consider a replacement headlight.

Yomny1

Ready to race!
I feel the same way. I feel like my car has a black eye. I'm thankful that a Tech at least tried to get some water out of the housing. Maybe if it persists then they would consider a replacement headlight.

I feel you on that, hope for the best. In my case mine just went away and hasn't come back despite the bad weather here. Best of luck with all.