GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
You are enabling me!
Thanks.
But, where would I put stickers? ;)
ECS needs to stop with all the CF stuff.

I guess these braces are not a key structural items?

Not structural but absolute necessary! Stickers can go on top of them ;-)

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Blind Spot Side Mirror Blue Tint

Over a year ago I purchased a set of blind spot side mirrors with blue tint from ECS Tuning. Took a while to get comfortable with them but now could not do without. The blue color seemed dark at first but now I do not notice as much.
Over the winter I could see my left side mirror starting to have issues. Looked dirty at first but then you could see the mirror backing was coming off the edge.
The driver side had no issues.

A replacement for the left side from ECS in same color would be $53.
A set is $99.95. I thought why spend that much if it will only last over a year.
ECS also sells OE style for $144 a set.

I knew Aliexpress sells them for much less so for $13.26 (A SET).
Blind spot mirror and blue tint. So why not try them.
Currently passenger side must be sold out but driver side is below.

Look what I found on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832626931/32832626931.html

Parts arrived. Well packaged.
Compared ECS and Aliexpress.
They are identical down to all molding marks.
Blue tint is the same. Only item I noticed was the Aliexpress part has Hungary name removed. On one side you can see part of the H so you know not made in China. The other you can make out the entire word Hungary.
Removed old and put new one on. Will keep new driver side as spare for now. No need to change as they are same part. All work but have not checked heated part. Not cold today.

Why did mirror fail? The mirror back has the reflective coating and then a black sticky film on top. The plastic back cram is then stuck to this black film. Over time the plastic frame pulled away from the mirror due to heat and cold plus the curved shape of the glass.

So for $14 I get a complete set.
I am all for buying in USA but how can one when ECS sells for $100 and Aliexpress sells for $14 and they are same part? Overhead? ECS could order from Aliexpress and sell the set for $50 and still be on top.
I know the China government likely helps it industry more than USA, right or wrong. Such a difference in price.

So Aliexpress and option when part is in stock.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Aliexpress blind spot mirror pics.

Aliexpress part with Hungary removed.

Aliexpress

ECS part.

Both with ECS on bottom

Part with damage after a year or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
ECS could order from Aliexpress and sell the set for $50 and still be on top.

They probably order from Aliexpress but sell for $100 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
That's the Stainless Steel Oil Pan that increases oil by 1.5 liters right?
Are you going to do your own install? I'm so looking forward to hear your impressions on it :))

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
That's the Stainless Steel Oil Pan that increases oil by 1.5 liters right?
Are you going to do your own install? I'm so looking forward to hear your impressions on it :))

Decided to have it installed during the 50,000 mile service.
Cost is more but easier on a lift than in my driveway. Also short on time.

Smaller than one thinks.
Items on line always look big until you remember they are going on a 4 cylinder engine. Only about 15” at the widest point. Well made sturdy part.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
50,000 Mile Service. 3 Years in.

Had the 50,000 mike service today.
Also had dealer install ECS SS oil pan during the work.
Asked them a couple weeks back about the PP front differential 3 year service.
At first they said records indicate not needed. Sent them a copy of the page in Maintenance Manual that gives the 3 year service. Also shared video Deutsche Auto put out. Service Rep showed mechanic info. Word back was that service was for an AWD vehicle. I told them the Deutsche Car in video was a MK7 GTI.
He showed Service Manager the info and they came back that the service could be performed during the visit and they had the oil. But by the time I had this work I had ordered the Deutsche service kit for the differential. So they used it and completed the service. Just a word to stay on them if you are doing and they do not understand.

I also asked them to inspect driver side closely while they did the suspension inspection. I thought maybe an end link was loose. Recently started hearing a noise in certain situation. I was going to check when installing summer tires but service visit came up first. He found one of the end link bolts was loose. Tighten and found no other issues. FYI I have O34 Motorsports end links.

Drive home with oil pan. No issues and in stop and go traffic in Chattanooga the temp ran 228F. At speed 60-65 it stayed around 216-219. Outside temp was 60F today. On a very long downhill cost went down to 208F. In all looked normal. I will check next day I drive to work as I know the location car reached 180F during the drive. With 1.5L more oil will see if it takes longer to heat up.

New front brake pads coming due. Will now decide what to get.
OE has performed well but just dirty. Car running well.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Inside look of oil pan.
From ECS the kit has 20 new bolts, tube of sealant, and a magnetic drain plug.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Inside look of oil pan.
From ECS the kit has 20 new bolts, tube of sealant, and a magnetic drain plug.

Fancy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk