GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Honda Civic R

EXEA189

Ready to race!
Here is an early video when some Tuning people first looked at it.

Has been awhile since I watched. So the model shown is not for sure USA model. Couple months old.

https://youtu.be/a9nZsrDYbRw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LMAO when Bisi Ezerioha says: "...a car with ties to racing... best engines!" Are you kidding me? McLaren used up five Formula 1 power units during their first four-day test of the 2017 season. And this after a very disappointing 2015 & 2016 F1 seasons, largely thanks to the unreliable and sluggish 1.6 litre V6 Turbo power unit. Why else is Alonso racing Indy next month(?)!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just wondering about the details that surround these type of records. I would assume the driver and to a certain extent weather would play a significant factor in achieving these records. For weather, I guess one could just wait for optimal conditions. As for driver... according to my reasoning, a fair way to compare two cars would be to have multiple drivers driving the same cars. Maybe that's how it's done? I don't know.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Just wondering about the details that surround these type of records. I would assume the driver and to a certain extent weather would play a significant factor in achieving these records. For weather, I guess one could just wait for optimal conditions. As for driver... according to my reasoning, a fair way to compare two cars would be to have multiple drivers driving the same cars. Maybe that's how it's done? I don't know.

Companies aiming to beat the record will take the best driver they can find and wait for good conditions to put down laps.

It's pretty clear that they all do these laps on colder days but while the track is
perfectly dry.
With no doubt both Honda's records where performed with the least stockish cars
compared to both Renault and Volkswagen, who used pretty true stock cars. It's
no less than a joke performing lap records one year before the corresponding car
is even sold. Remember Volkswagen did their Nurburgring record just before they
started selling the limited number Clubsport S. Same with the Megane RS Trophy-R
and the Leon Cupra 280 Performance-Pack. No cage fitted to these, no removed
parts (unless they're removed on the factory version anyway). Contrarily Honda
again fitted a roll cage and removed seats (last time even the passenger seat) for
compensation, and I wonder which other mods they performed to this car.
Volkswagen even invited journalists to assess the conditions of their record trys
for max transparancy.
That being said, from the very beginning I expected these lap record contest get-
ting problematic and boring sooner or later. Remember the Nordschleife is still the
most demanding and dangerous track. Dozens of drivers lost their lifes there.
Therefore I understand Honda fitted the roll cage. What if a factory record driver
loses his life? The other side of the story is it's getting boring to most people when
there's a new 'Ring record' every year.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
That's a pretty ugly car... no offense to those that like it.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
HTML:
Did the R beat the GTI Nurburgring record?
Someone at work mentioned it did, again?

Which R? Golf R? No not even close, the gti that had the record was a limited track edition with 305hp. The civic r went a few seconds faster

Last edited:

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Did the R beat the GTI Nurburgring record?
Someone at work mentioned it did, again?

It bested the record set by the GTI clubsport for Front drive, compact cars. Beat the lap time by 2 seconds. There are a lot of factors that would impact lap time including weather, time of day and the driver of the car. It could've beat the record by 2 minutes, it's still an ugly spaceship to me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marko cubrovic

Passed Driver's Ed
As an owner of Acura tsx and few Toyota's and Honda's, this new civic R looks horrible, will never buy another Japanese car.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
It bested the record set by the GTI clubsport for Front drive, compact cars. Beat the lap time by 2 seconds. There are a lot of factors that would impact lap time including weather, time of day and the driver of the car. It could've beat the record by 2 minutes, it's still an ugly spaceship to me :)

It bears mentioning that the GTI clubsport was a limited track edition gti with 305 hp that VW just made a few hundred production copies of to say they had the production FWD record.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

VW needs to hit the track again :p
Honda probably overboosted the R for that run ;)

takemorepills

Ready to race!
That's great and all that it will lap the track so quickly. But in day-to-day street life, the wings and fake vents would get about as old as losing nearly every red light drag race to many tuned GTIs and every AWD turbo car.