GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI - a few thoughts and questions

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
We have three 2.0T cars in the household. All get Mobil 1 0W40. One actually says 0W40 in the manual, one is 5W30 and one is 5W40. The difference between these oils is so insignificant it's funny. It's a fantastic and cheap oil.

After 110k miles with 10k changes on my Saab.

It's like $13 for a 5 quart right now after rebate.

adam1991

Banned
I probably should have put my oil question in an oil forum like BITOG instead of a car forum. I just tagged it along with my new GTI thoughts. As I said in my original post "I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs." Some people seem to have missed that. The question was, is the 502.00 oil that much different than non-502.00 synthetic oil. I'll ask it on BITOG.

Thanks for the 'Welcome's.

Again, someone who refuses to believe the VW engineers on something as critical as oil--and insists that there must be a better answer, if only he shops around hard enough.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-40 since my VR6 days. Fantastic oil that's commonly on sale at least 6 times during the year in my area.

All that said the first few oil changes will be done at the dealer. Until I get an extractor. The dealer will use German Castrol 5w-30 I'm sure (I hope)....lol

adam1991

Banned
No need to ask, the manufacturer specifies 502 spec oil. Just buy 502 spec oil like it says. It's not rare, it's not expensive, it's not hard to find. It's pretty common. Not sure what your issue is with it?

His issue is that his foil hat is on tight and he WILL NOT be intimidated by facts and by corporate engineers backed by millions of dollars of research.

They are lying! By definition! Because they're corporate!

And therefore, per the foil hat instructions, he must go to complete strangers and seek out alternate answers that, by definition, must be the truth (because after all, corporate is lying!).

adam1991

Banned
We have three 2.0T cars in the household. All get Mobil 1 0W40. One actually says 0W40 in the manual, one is 5W30 and one is 5W40. The difference between these oils is so insignificant it's funny. It's a fantastic and cheap oil.

After 110k miles with 10k changes on my Saab.

It's like $13 for a 5 quart right now after rebate.

Stop with the facts! They push against his foil hat, making it hurt.

Facts are to be avoided. Hence his trip to that la-la land of BITOG, where random strangers put forth random theories about why THEY get away with using tap water in their engines--and therefore you and your VW should be able to.

wbw

Ready to race!
If I may ask, why don't you want to use 502 spec oil?

Are you wanting to get it changed at "Quick Lube" type places? Why would you want to use something other than specified? The manufacturer specified it for a reason. Most if not all Euro cars are 502 spec or higher. it's not just a VW thing.

OK. Lets try this again. I never said I didn't want to use 502.00 spec oil. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but please show me where I said I didn't want to use 502. I believe I said "I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs." I just wanted to know if 502 is really that much different than the other full syn oils.

Maybe we should just drop the whole oil discussion. No one seems to understand what I am asking. Apparently asking how it is different some how indicates that I don't want to use it. That was not my intention.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I probably should have put my oil question in an oil forum like BITOG instead of a car forum. I just tagged it along with my new GTI thoughts. As I said in my original post "I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs." Some people seem to have missed that. The question was, is the 502.00 oil that much different than non-502.00 synthetic oil. I'll ask it on BITOG.

Thanks for the 'Welcome's.

Engines are designed to run a certain oil.
I am not an expert but you engine designer specs an oil based on how they design and build the engine. Will it run with other oil? Yes. How long? That is the better question. As it is your car use what you want. But, for any warranty hope I would use 502. Otherwise enjoy.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'll try to answer the original question - yes 502 oils are different. It is an oil specification that requires meeting minimum testing criteria along with specific additives for things like anti-foaming, particulate, flashpoint, etc. A non-502 oil could be just as good, but if they haven't gone through the testing to get the stamp, you don't know, so it's kind of a roll of the dice. Just because an oil is synthetic and the right viscosity, doesn't mean it functions as well.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
OK. Lets try this again. I never said I didn't want to use 502.00 spec oil. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but please show me where I said I didn't want to use 502. I believe I said "I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs." I just wanted to know if 502 is really that much different than the other full syn oils.

Maybe we should just drop the whole oil discussion. No one seems to understand what I am asking. Apparently asking how it is different some how indicates that I don't want to use it. That was not my intention.
I can see why you're getting frustrated by the peanut gallery, but look at what your asking - it's not a question we can answer. How is VW 502.00 different? Different than what, exactly? You haven't even said what oils you want to compare. There are many approved oils, and I assume many that aren't. I can't see how BITOG is going to be any more helpful to such a vague question...

In fact, this was asked a decade ago in BITOG and it only took until post 4 to get the same thing I'm saying - the question is too vague:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=816205

Maybe read up some on VW specs:

https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

Pick an approved oil, then pick a non-spec oil and compare MSDS, UOA's and do your own research.

Or just throw Rotella T6 in there and see how it goes, YOLO! :D

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
another reason to use it is wtty.....VW MAY deny if they find out you used other than specs.
Exactly, and that should be obvious - hopefully OP has read the manual:

Use only a high quality engine oil that expressly complies with
the Volkswagen oil quality standard specified for your vehicle's
engine. Using any other oil can cause serious engine damage
that will not be covered by any Volkswagen Limited Warranty

OP: the question you should ask yourself isn't "how is VW 502 different?", but rather, "do I want to maintain a powertrain warranty?" - if the answer to the latter is "no", then you can circle back to the former question and determine if there is something "better" out there...

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

You are correct, here is not the place to find out why 502 is spec'd. I'd also opine that BITOG is not the place either as over there, there are more self proclaimed experts than we have here. LOL.

Do some of your own independent research if it's that important to you. I just read through the link I posted and...........well............it's far from definitive and far from being on point. Thee are the other 1000's of threads asking the same question you are asking.

Good luck and post your findings for the next guy.

adam1991

Banned

What everyone heard was, "I don't have any problem running oil that meets VW's specs--as long as you can prove to me why I should, instead of doing something else."

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the new car!

All GTIs have bluetooth connectivity standard, and the '16s and up have Android Auto and Apple Carplay support as well if you don't mind plugging in. Check your manual on how to set it up, but you should be able to go into the head unit's Phone menu and add a phone for basic bluetooth audio and calls.

Oh sure rub it in. Sure wish I had android auto.