GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

forged or cast wheels

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Okay guys, I am looking for a new set of wheels for my '16 golf R. If I understand correctly, the cadiz wheelsthat come on the R are 1-piece cast. I am looking at the Audi Rotor wheels, which I believe are also 1-piece cast. When I look online I see a lot of nice cast wheels for much cheaper, Rotifirm TMB for example and forged 2 and 3-piece sets for more. Are the prices on the OEM VW and OEM Audi wheels high just because they are"genuine" factory wheels with the name on them? Because they are all made out of the same 6061 T6 aluminum. I do a lot of hard driving and need something strong. have already bent one of my cadiz.

thanks

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Praetorias in 19 are cast then flow formed, a kind of in-between strength wise. That sad, you can still find cheaper flowformed wheels (all of neuspeed's wheels, for example). OEM wheels are more expensive because of three reasons:
1. More testing
2. More overhead
3. Because they can

There are "premium" wheels like HREs thst cost even more, especially for some of the forged ones.

airjor13

Ready to race!
Aftermarket Cast < Aftermarket Flow Formed < OEM low pressure cast < OEM flow formed < forged

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Aftermarket Cast < Aftermarket Flow Formed < OEM low pressure cast < OEM flow formed < forged

What did you base this ranking off of? Not trying to be a dick, but actually curious. I know there are some aftermarket flow forming processes that are pretty well documented, the same with forging, but there is very little info I can find on OEM wheel manufacturing.

drshark

Ready to race!
Okay guys, I am looking for a new set of wheels for my '16 golf R. If I understand correctly, the cadiz wheelsthat come on the R are 1-piece cast. I am looking at the Audi Rotor wheels, which I believe are also 1-piece cast. When I look online I see a lot of nice cast wheels for much cheaper, Rotifirm TMB for example and forged 2 and 3-piece sets for more. Are the prices on the OEM VW and OEM Audi wheels high just because they are"genuine" factory wheels with the name on them? Because they are all made out of the same 6061 T6 aluminum. I do a lot of hard driving and need something strong. have already bent one of my cadiz.

thanks

Here's a shameless plug for my wheels, Advanti Svelto. 19x8.5 and 4 lbs/wheel less than OEM and clearly pretty tough: I hit a pot hole at 80 mph, blew out the sidewall of the tire, and the wheel came through with flying colors. Can't think of a better recommendation...

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
What did you base this ranking off of? Not trying to be a dick, but actually curious. I know there are some aftermarket flow forming processes that are pretty well documented, the same with forging, but there is very little info I can find on OEM wheel manufacturing.

The only thing I will say that makes OEM wheels "better" is the amount of ridiculous testing they HAVE to do in order to get them to get the OK for use by the NHTSA.

That said, even among different wheel manufacturers it's not fair to say which is "better" most of the time.

Example in terms of "you get what you pay for" is any Ray's/Volk wheels. They set standards two to three times more stringent than what the NHTSA/TüV require to pass OEM tests. Their Spec2 rating pretty much rates a wheel to be safe to be driven on after a tire failure at low speeds to gtfo the way of race traffic.

Then there is HRE wheels. Most of their offerings are forged, very nice looking, and with a price to match Ray's/Volk. I am not saying by any stretch that they're not strong wheels, but they don't test strength and surpass safety standards like Ray's does.

Same with OZ, who like Ray's/Volk, actually make a lot of the wheels you see on actual race cars in a lot of different series.

Remember though, just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it's super strong. Same with "just because it's cast it's weak".

Enkei RPF1s are cast, and probably one of the, if not the most popular wheel used in the track day enthusiast demographic. Why? They're reasonably priced, super light, come in almost any size, and they're strong. Enkei is an OEM manufacturer too.

The stock Austins are a prime example of an OEM cast wheel that IMO/IME suck. They weigh a ton and are very prone to bending. I've never dealt with a bent wheel from hitting a pot hole before until doing it on the wife's car, so overall YMMV.

Personally, for aftermarket, I'll stick to manufacturers who make wheels for racing. I have a set of Volks for myself which are forged, and the wife has a set of OZ's which are pressure-cast. I've owned/tracked OZ's in the past and had them x-rayed after seasons of abuse with zero issue and tons of hard miles. There's nothing wrong with a cast wheel if it's made by a company that does their homework.

If you want the strongest lightest wheel you can get, it's most likely going to be a forged wheel.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Here's a shameless plug for my wheels, Advanti Svelto. 19x8.5 and 4 lbs/wheel less than OEM and clearly pretty tough: I hit a pot hole at 80 mph, blew out the sidewall of the tire, and the wheel came through with flying colors. Can't think of a better recommendation...

I'll plug Advanti wheels as well, though mine are their HY Hybris (light weight flow-formed) model in 19x8.5. Like Dr. Shark, they've stood up to 2 years of spring-to-fall driving and are still running true. Their flow-formed models all pass TUV testing. Reducing unsprung rotational mass is the easiest and best way to enhance grip on irregular surfaces and improve acceleration/deceleration without penalty.

airjor13

Ready to race!

Just from my observations over the years with different wheels. My appreciation for OEM wheels are much greater then before after learning about the pretty rigorous testing they have to go through from friends that work in bench marking. Plus most the the OEM suppliers for VW/Audi are pretty well known BBS, Ronal, Borbet, Speedline. They all make good quality aftermarket wheels, but the wheels they make for OEM contracts are too the manufactures spec usually exceeding VIA JWL ISO. I'm not saying OEM wheels are "better" then custom forged 3 piece whatevers lol, but just that the typical OEM wheels is much better then most give them credit for.

airjor13

Ready to race!
I am huge fan of Enkei Racing and OZ wheels, solid engineering, reasonable priced and durable.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I love my Neuspeed RSE102's.

I'm getting the tires for them today!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
This should really be in the wheel and tire subforum since the responses wouldn’t really be Golf R specific.

airjor13

Ready to race!
This should really be in the wheel and tire subforum since the responses wouldn’t really be Golf R specific.

If there were only moderators..