GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Order

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
LSG, DSG, ... Thanks, I sure will...

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

There are 2 fitting your specs in Denver. They are starting to pile up post new model year rush. From what others have posted here, there ought to be some up north on the coast of the US sitting as well.

Congrats on the R!

GrayR

Passed Driver's Ed
Before placing the order for my R weekend before last, I went to the dealership down the street from my house and talked to a sales person. I want to purchase the car around the second or third week of March and was asking him what he could do for me as far as price and ordering one. He starts off by telling me that there's no way that he'd be able to sell it to me for less than the sticker price ($41,600) and at this point (2nd week of Jan 2017) I probably couldn't even get a 2017 LSG R, and that if I ordered one it would probably be a 2018 and it would cost me even more money, blah blah blah blah... I finally said, "Okay buddy, thanks but no thanks and walked out. The following Saturday I went to another dealership near downtown Jacksonville Florida walked in and talked to a salesman that I had spoken to before and asked him if he could order me a 2017 R. And without mentioning anything to him about the conversation I had with the other dealership, he said, sure let's go talk to the sales manager and order the car. On the way to the sales manager, he told me that he would split his commission with me and that would give me about $600 off the sticker price (41K)... I gave them a $500 deposit and we did the paperwork and ordered the car. They told me that it would take about two months to get there.
Well, oddly enough, yesterday The salesman from the first dealership called me and said that they just received the car that I want with all the options that I want but, that it's going to the Jacksonville Florida Auto show for the month of February and that he would be able to sell it to me when they get it back from the Auto show, which would put me in line for my March purchase date. He also said that he would sell it to me for invoice plus dealer cost, which comes out to $40,577, if I came in and made a $500 deposit. And he said he would give it to me in writing. So now my question is, should I make a deposit on that car as well. And maybe use that as a bargaining tool at the other dealership when the other R comes in? Because I really wanted to get a price of 40K or below...
Any thoughts would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzdub

Ready to race!
2017 R is $41k, that is $14.5k more than I paid for my 2017 GTI,love the R but just make sure your AWD usecase is really important to you, otherwise $14.5k would go a long way towards turning a GTI into a mid-2000's supercar rival.

Anyway yes IMO you should put the refundable deposit down on both, you stand a far better chance of renegotiating come deal time.

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
So ordering an R is a thing? And it is not just dealer allocation at the last minute? So many conflicting statements about this.

I "ordered" mine as well. What that actually meant is that if my order parameters were allocated to my dealer, the stars had aligned, and I was lucky. If not, I'd have to take one of the cars they were allocated, or begin the dealer trade process for the car I wanted etc. My dealer seems to sell the sh*t out of R's and I got my "ordered" car in 4 weeks, which we all know meant it was on the way in any case, and my "order" had nothing to do with it.

I suspect that if you "order" a car well in advance of the building of last of your dealers allocation, they might actually build the car you want?

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the term "order" is used vaguely throughout dealerships, as that is what the layman would call it if/when they walked in and told the salesperson exactly what they were looking for.

When I was first shopping the R, I walked in to my local dealership and asked if they could get me what I was looking for. I was met with the comment, "We don't have any in stock, but can order one for you...", which led me to believe they could get whatever they wanted. Fast forward to sitting down across from the salesperson to start the "order" process and the GM shows up in the doorway and says they can no longer get ANY R's because they had met their dealer allocation. At the time I was very skeptical that they were trying to pull something on me, so I immediately got up and started to walk out when the GM calmly explained that there was no funny business and that they were a smaller volume dealership that had already met their allocation totals for the 2017's.

I ended up "ordering" one from a very high volume dealership that said that they had about 5 more allocations coming in and what they could do is simply request prioritization of the color/trim package I wanted, which gave the illusion that they were actually ordering the car for me as opposed to the reality which was them shuffling the allocation order to get me the car I wanted. I highly doubt that they can be specifically ordered outside of existing dealer allocations at this point.