GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test exhaust flaps

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Is there a way to test the functionality of your exhaust flaps?

I just got OBDEleven, and disabled my exhaust flaps. It sounds no different to me. I enabled them again, sounds the same. So now I'm wondering if they were actually working in the first place.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
With my setup having the flaps open all of the time introduced noticeable drone.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I'm thinking I might just not be as sensitive to drone as most of you guys seem to be. I have the s3 res delete and I'm thinking my exhaust valves have been open this entire time, but I'm not annoyed by the exhaust at all. I want it louder. But I noticed 0 different from before or after I made the coding change. I'm wondering if I can test the flaps to see if the motor even works.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm thinking I might just not be as sensitive to drone as most of you guys seem to be. I have the s3 res delete and I'm thinking my exhaust valves have been open this entire time, but I'm not annoyed by the exhaust at all. I want it louder. But I noticed 0 different from before or after I made the coding change. I'm wondering if I can test the flaps to see if the motor even works.

If you listen to loud bass music all of the time your hearing in the drone range has been lost. Easy enough to check the flaps with a bore scope.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Thank you for the suggestion. I do not have a bore scope.

Edit: scratch that. Found one on Amazon for $13 that connects to my phone. Why not?

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
There should be a big difference with just the soundaktor from race to comfort. Start it in normal, get out, put your hand by the tips out side then inside then switch to race mode repeat, should feel a difference on the outboard exhaust tip

rfc89747

Ready to race!
My soundaktor is disabled, previous owner already disabled it. In all modes, I feel exhaust coming out of all 4 tips. The thing that has me confused is that when I first looked into the coding, the flaps weren't disabled. That's what has me thinking that the motors either are broken, or disabled some other way. Is there anyway to have the flap open and close in some sort of diagnostic mode, so that I can look at it opening and closing?

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
Start the car and put your hand against both tail pipes, you should feel the exhaust from both pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My soundaktor is disabled, previous owner already disabled it. In all modes, I feel exhaust coming out of all 4 tips. The thing that has me confused is that when I first looked into the coding, the flaps weren't disabled. That's what has me thinking that the motors either are broken, or disabled some other way. Is there anyway to have the flap open and close in some sort of diagnostic mode, so that I can look at it opening and closing?

Yes. When you shift from Park to Drive with DSG the flaps will cycle from open to closed then back to open, apparently as a test. You will need a bore scope to see it though. Just go far enough in to see the flaps so you don't get the camera caught. I really don't know how it works on manual transmissions. My guess is when you shift into first. As far as I can determine you can't tell by setting the mode to Sport with either transmission. With DSG the idle is raised about 200 RPM, which puts the exhaust closer to its "sweet spot" making it seem louder. If the idle is raised with manual it would also sound throatier. I don't know if there is a measuring value that changes in VCDS. You can try asking Josh at AWE, I consider him the expert.

Last edited:

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Thank you. I have MT so I won't be able to cycle it by shifting from park to drive. The bore scope I just order has a 20 foot cable so I might just run it out the hatch and into the pipes and drive around with someone in the passenger seat looking for the valves to open and close. I'll have to wrap the camera in a bunch of aluminum and heat wrap or something though I guess. We'll see what I can see tomorrow.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I actually tried this over the weekend and didn't hear much of a difference at first but the next day it was more noticeable. The car sounded deeper than before and a little louder. I listen to a lot of reggae so bass-heavy, the drone did not really bother me but I switched it back to stock. Was really more curious if the car drove any smoother or not, couldn't really tell though (as expected).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thank you. I have MT so I won't be able to cycle it by shifting from park to drive. The bore scope I just order has a 20 foot cable so I might just run it out the hatch and into the pipes and drive around with someone in the passenger seat looking for the valves to open and close. I'll have to wrap the camera in a bunch of aluminum and heat wrap or something though I guess. We'll see what I can see tomorrow.

Check my sig.