GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test exhaust flaps

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Aaah, damn I wish I would have read that before I just looked. I put the scope in there and let it idol for a while. They never closed. I guess I'll need to have someone rev to 1200 rpm to see if they close up. Is that only under load, or will they close in neutral above 1100 RPM?

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Okay, so I just snaked the bore scope through the cabin and clipped it to the exhaust so I could see the flaps while driving. They definetly aren't functioning. I started the car, and drove it around the block 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at varying RPM while in comfort and normal mode. The flaps stayed open the whole time.

Since the coding shows that the auto flaps should be enabled currently, and ideas as to why they wouldn't be opening and closing?

Edit: Spoke to the previous owner. He had coded the valves open when he initially did the s3 res delete, but the drone was too much for him and he immediately coded it back. He said they work working normally after that. I'm wondering if when I was rear ended the motors got damaged or wiring disconnected. Any tips on diagnosing that?

Last edited:

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, so I just snaked the bore scope through the cabin and clipped it to the exhaust so I could see the flaps while driving. They definetly aren't functioning. I started the car, and drove it around the block 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at varying RPM while in comfort and normal mode. The flaps stayed open the whole time.

Since the coding shows that the auto flaps should be enabled currently, and ideas as to why they wouldn't be opening and closing?

Edit: Spoke to the previous owner. He had coded the valves open when he initially did the s3 res delete, but the drone was too much for him and he immediately coded it back. He said they work working normally after that. I'm wondering if when I was rear ended the motors got damaged or wiring disconnected. Any tips on diagnosing that?

Start by getting under the car and making sure the connectors are plugged in. With a manual it will immediately open the valves at idle if you hit race mode in the DCC screen. If you are in racemode when you start the car, you will need to hit race made again to open the valves. Switching to another mode after the valves open will not close them, you have to power cycle the car and start over. running the ac will make the difference more pronounced, as will being next to a wall, in a garage, etc....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Did you check with VCDS to see if the box is checked? Is the coding correct? I'm thinking it's not.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
The flaps were enabled according to obdeleven. I turned them off and on multiple times also. I'll screenshot the code tomorrow and post it here to be sure I'm not missing something.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
The wiring is connect to the motors. The other end runs into a grommet in the floor of the car so I don't know about past that.

Any visible damage (dents etc) to the exhaust from the accident? Very possible they did not reconnect the other end of the connector, if they had to replace sheet metal or pull interior panels etc in that area.

I have not spent much time under the back of the car, mostly the front, so I'm not sure where the grommet is your talking about.

My last accident (got hit from behind going down a steep hill when the other driver could not stop in time) the body shop screwed up a lot of things, loose sub-frame bolts, missing stock parts (all the spare tire stuff), forgetting to order obviously damaged parts, forgetting to plug the amp back in etc.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
No visible damage to the exhaust after the accident. Not even a scratch on the rear diffuser. Just some minor crush damage to the rear bumper and a dent in the hatch. I'll see what kind of pictures I can get for you guys today. Just for reference. I'm sure I'll need to pull the tires and maybe drop the exhaust to see whats really going on.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Here are some pictures including a screenshot of the code in OBDEleven

Passenger side plug

Driver side plug

Exhaust flap open

This picture shows the connection to the motor and then the grommet that it runs to on the body. This is of the driver side.

Let me know what you think. It'll be a few weeks until I can get to a place with level ground and tools too take a look at it with the wheel off/exhaust dropped.

mad_sb

Passed Driver's Ed
stupid question, but you did hold down the green check box to apply the changes correct? Did you re-seat the connectors on the motors?

Assuming yes to the above, I can only think of two things, one being the harness is unplugged on the body side, or two, OBDeleven has the wrong bits defined for exhaust valve coding for your vehicle.

I know some of the stuff they have in the apps, does not work for 17's because the coding bits changed. Yours is a 16 though so....

rr1santos

Ready to race!
I had a buddy use OBDeleven to disable my exhaust flaps to see if I can tell a differences (catless dp, res delete, oem muffler) didn't notice a difference and when trying to enable the valves it said it could not do it.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
stupid question, but you did hold down the green check box to apply the changes correct? Did you re-seat the connectors on the motors?

Assuming yes to the above, I can only think of two things, one being the harness is unplugged on the body side, or two, OBDeleven has the wrong bits defined for exhaust valve coding for your vehicle.

I know some of the stuff they have in the apps, does not work for 17's because the coding bits changed. Yours is a 16 though so....

I did hold down the green check box to save. It was coded that way when I first checked. I disabled the flaps, didn't notice any difference, then re-enabled them. I have been doing all of the tests with the bore scope mentioned with the current coding you see in the first screenshot there.

I have not tried re-seating the connectors, honestly I tried briefly but couldn't figure out if the grey tab needed to be pulled or pressed or what. So I gave up until I could actually get under the car and see what I am doing. It's worth a shot though.

I had a buddy use OBDeleven to disable my exhaust flaps to see if I can tell a differences (catless dp, res delete, oem muffler) didn't notice a difference and when trying to enable the valves it said it could not do it.

I was originally getting this error, error 22 or something, I began researching it, but after trying to turn them off/on a few times it seemed to work normally and began accepting my changes each time.