GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MerTop Racing / Scorpion Downpipe MK7 GTI ?!

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Don't want to bring a dead subject back to life BUT ... I'm still eyeing this DP.

Does anyone know if a 2.75 inch DP will connect to the 2.5 inch OEM catback with the factory OEM clamp without leaking? If you look at the pictures of the DP, it's not quite 2.75 inches

[/IMG]

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Don't want to bring a dead subject back to life BUT ... I'm still eyeing this DP.

Does anyone know if a 2.75 inch DP will connect to the 2.5 inch OEM catback with the factory OEM clamp without leaking? If you look at the pictures of the DP, it's not quite 2.75 inches

The upper diameter shown in the picture doesn't mean anything. All DP's made for the GTI (no matter whether the upper diameter is 3.5", 3", or 2.75") should bolt up to the 2.5" stock GTI cat-back and OEM clamp without any issues. Many DP vendors provide simple adapters in the box that allow the same DP to bolt up to different sizes of catbacks: 2.5" (OEM), 3" (aftermarket), or a 2.25" (Golf 1.8 TSI) are the popular ones. If you really want to give it a go, contact the vendor and I'm sure they will confirm it will bolt up to your 2.5" OEM catback. That said, nobody here can guarantee it will have good fitment...you'll have to let us know how it goes;)

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
The upper diameter shown in the picture doesn't mean anything. All DP's made for the GTI (no matter whether the upper diameter is 3.5", 3", or 2.75") should bolt up to the 2.5" stock GTI cat-back and OEM clamp without any issues. Many DP vendors provide simple adapters in the box that allow the same DP to bolt up to different sizes of catbacks: 2.5" (OEM), 3" (aftermarket), or a 2.25" (Golf 1.8 TSI) are the popular ones. If you really want to give it a go, contact the vendor and I'm sure they will confirm it will bolt up to your 2.5" OEM catback. That said, nobody here can guarantee it will have good fitment...you'll have to let us know how it goes;)

If you look at the pipe, no matter the upper or lower part, it's all 2.75.

Here a picture showing the bottom part (after the cat) that would be connecting to the OEM exhaust. It's also 2.75 inches...
How would the OEM clamp go over the 2.75 inch DP if the OEM clamp is 2.5inch ?!

I did contact the seller but I want to avoid surprises!

[/IMG]

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
OEM clamp won't fit a 2.75" pipe. You'll need an adapter to go down to 2.5" at some point. They may make a 2.75" exhaust which this is designed to bolt up to but this doesn't look like it'll fit a stock catback without modification

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Lol good point. Maybe it does narrow down. To 2.5" or my guess is they got sloppy and raised the caliper when they took a shot. If they don't take the time to do it right you might want to second guess their parts...

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Exactly. I have been running a $160 Rev9 dp for over 9000 miles zero issues. Some people feel better spending 600 plus more for a name brand. Crazyness for sure. Lol.

I bought the USP catted and it fit like garbage. So I bought the APR and it fit like a glove. I do regret spending a lot of money on the APR just for the fitment because in the end my turbo blew and the turbine broke off and melted the cat so I had to punch it out. It's worthless now I don't think anyone would pay more then $200 for it lol.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I bought the USP catted and it fit like garbage. So I bought the APR and it fit like a glove. I do regret spending a lot of money on the APR just for the fitment because in the end my turbo blew and the turbine broke off and melted the cat so I had to punch it out. It's worthless now I don't think anyone would pay more then $200 for it lol.
But on the bright side, what you have is a unicorn. You might have the only catless APR downpipe in existence. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
What the heck am I looking at here?

This is end pipe of the DP that would connect to the OEM catback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
This is end pipe of the DP that would connect to the OEM catback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's talking about their piss poor measurement. One side isn't touching the DP and the other seems a bit high maybes